Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Potatoes are one food I can never get tiered of. And in any long term survival plan they will play a big roll.
Easy to grow almost any where, long term storage with a root cellar is not problem.
This morning I made potato pan cakes a German favorite around here. Not many foods can be used so many ways.
I like them raw or cooked in any way any time.
Around here SHTF most meals will have potato served in one way of another.
So how will you use the great flexible food source in your plan?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I a with you. Seems like every time we go to the store we buy another 20 lbs of potatoes to put in the root cellars.. This next year I am going to grow a ton of them. I am also going to try using burlap bags attached to a frame to stand them up and hold them open and try growing potatoes in them. I have seen several of them and looks easy to make. I posted a link to what they look like. Scroll to the bottom and you will see.. Farm Stuff

I am also going to try to use straw bales Straw Bale Gardens I have PLENTY of room so want to experiment with stuff I haven't tried before. This next spring I am going to build a greenhouse and start doing some aqua/hydroponics as well. I have a friend that raises tilapia and it got me interested. I want to raise some freshwater shrimp and crawfish as well.. I couldn't believe how much shrimp costs here in Montana when I first got here. We went to the store and they were having a SALE. $11.99 a lb and crab legs were 10lbs for $300. Not even King Crab either..lol

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Inor won't eat sweet potatoes. Inor eats meat, poultry, corn, potatoes, occasionally salad if it has romaine, bread (rolls, etc), applesauce and dessert. His mother won't touch fruit and most veggies either. Makes meal planning a bit of a challenge.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Inor won't eat sweet potatoes. Inor eats meat, poultry, corn, potatoes, occasionally salad if it has romaine, bread (rolls, etc), applesauce and dessert. His mother won't touch fruit and most veggies either. Makes meal planning a bit of a challenge.
Not much I wont eat. i was picky as a kid. Now I'm kind of a foodie and love to try new stuff. Hell, when I'm hungry I could eat the ass out of a menstruating skunk...

·
Registered
240 Posts
There are so many ways to fix potatoes, fried, mashed, sour cream potatoes (wife's recipe), tater cakes, cheddar rounds, potato bread. I can eat a regular potatoes any way they are fixed,but I can't eat a sweet potato with all the butter and brown sugar in the world.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I couldn't eat a sweet potato with all the butter and brown sugar in the world either - that is a lot of butter and sugar! They are fine diced and steamed. If you want to add some flavoring try a touch of mint.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I a with you. Seems like every time we go to the store we buy another 20 lbs of potatoes to put in the root cellars.. This next year I am going to grow a ton of them. I am also going to try using burlap bags attached to a frame to stand them up and hold them open and try growing potatoes in them. I have seen several of them and looks easy to make. I posted a link to what they look like. Scroll to the bottom and you will see.. Farm Stuff

I am also going to try to use straw bales Straw Bale Gardens I have PLENTY of room so want to experiment with stuff I haven't tried before. This next spring I am going to build a greenhouse and start doing some aqua/hydroponics as well. I have a friend that raises tilapia and it got me interested. I want to raise some freshwater shrimp and crawfish as well.. I couldn't believe how much shrimp costs here in Montana when I first got here. We went to the store and they were having a SALE. $11.99 a lb and crab legs were 10lbs for $300. Not even King Crab either..lol
We save our feed bags (the plastic type) and give them to people to use for growing potatoes. basically the same concept as this. start with a small amount of soil and a seed potato in the bottom of the roller down bag then as the plant grows roll up the bag to make taller and ad more soil. very easy and space saving. all you have to do is turn the bag over and dump out when its time to harvest.

·
Registered
172 Posts
We save our feed bags (the plastic type) and give them to people to use for growing potatoes. basically the same concept as this. start with a small amount of soil and a seed potato in the bottom of the roller down bag then as the plant grows roll up the bag to make taller and ad more soil. very easy and space saving. all you have to do is turn the bag over and dump out when its time to harvest.
I love this idea! Way better than stacking up old tires...

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Another way is to use plywood frames, about 8 inches high and use hinges to hold them together with a 4 inch high piece in the middle of each side. Pull one hinge pin and it folds flat. You stack them as your potato plant grows and fill it with straw. When it is time to harvest you pull a pin and start harvesting. You can stack them 6 high and get a great potato harvest in a 2x2 foot patch.

We have decided to use a trellis to grow our cantaloupe next year. That way one plant won't take up 400 square feet of garden space. When the melons form you use a cloth sling to support the melons. It keeps the ants and other bugs off of them and they get better sun if you make sure to pull the melons to the south side of the trellis.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Sounds like my wife, the only thing she likes that I don't is peas. I will still eat them, but I don't like them. The list of things she won't eat is too long, it's easier to list what she will, chicken, beef , or pork, corn, peas, potatoes, rice, breads. Don't even think about adding any bell peppers, onion, green beans, broccoli, or any other vegetable to a dish!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Both my wife and I are of German and Irish heritage. We eat potatoes with a majority of our meals. I do have allot of rice packed because of the ease of long term storage, but if you want to grow your own there isn't much that can beat potatoes in the climate where I live.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Totally agree. I grow them in 5 gallon buckets. I usually get 2-5lbs per bucket every 6 months. It is part of my regular year round garden. Can even grow them in your house. Just need a decent light source.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts