Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird to say, but what are you planing on doing post when the shtf?

It will be most likely midevil skills like blacksmithing, leather smith, cattle farm, knife sharpening etc.

I only have skills for making wood products right now, but there are workshops held in my area that teach the above trades.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have no skills, I'm very very good at seeing problems and improvising solutions, but I have very very little technical skills. Even though I went through Auto-mechanics school for a year ( dropped out), I never had a place to actually get my hands dirty and practiced what I learned, BUT I do still have ALL of my mechanics tools and I feel like those would be valuable and I could find plenty of broke vehicles to learn on in SHTF :)

My Dad is a jack of all trades and can pretty much do anything. I wish he would have taken me under his wing when I was a kid and asked me to help him with things like electrical, plumbing, woodworking....Dad if you read this, TEACH ME!!

I think Gunsmiths will be in high demand in SHTF!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Good question. I have always been a nurse. No doubt, people will need to be taken care of.
Remodeling houses over the years, has taught me some skills in that area.
My father owned a service station when I was young, so I know a little bit about cars. Not much though.
I think we all have skills that we may not be aware of. I would really like to learn to weld.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
aero_3642 said:
Weird to say, but what are you planing on doing post when the shtf?

It will be most likely midevil skills like blacksmithing, leather smith, cattle farm, knife sharpening etc.

I only have skills for making wood products right now, but there are workshops held in my area that teach the above trades.
Never underestimate the value of a carpenter post SHTF or really anytime. Jesus was a carpenter.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Well, I have found that polishing the edge of a knife requires a lot of simple tools and a metric ton of patience.

One of my knives is right here by the Dell. It's a small Magnum FD folder by Boker. It has assistant opening, and the uniform edge polished like a mirror.

The problem here was that "wavy edge." Yikes you have polish by it's first 1/8th inch of an edge, then shift your grip and polish a second 1/8th inch edge.

If you have to slice a snake's fang out of your buddy's leg this knife would be my first choice. If I did not have a scalpel with me this folder would be my first choice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm a machinist by trade for a little over 10 years now. Depending on the electricity situation that may be hard to keep up. Many of the skills I've learned would apply seamlessly into gunsmithing, which is something I've desired to dive into for many, many years now. I also enjoy and take great pride in our vegetable gardening and canning/food preservation. Hopefully either will earn me a place long enough to hold out a while longer.

Reactions: Auntie

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
What is it with the resurrection of all these 10 year old threads ?

I really don't have a good clue, just a good guess. Not everyone pulls up the same information or critiques at the same time. Sometimes I skip over a conversation only to be interested in that discussion several weeks after.

Then again, a review on "knives" might not interest a guy right away. Then again, from there he buys his own knife and now he goes after information with rabid attention.

We have a wide spectrum of ages and interests. You can't please everyone on your first posting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts