Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone wondering what it might be like if the goods and services we take for granted were no longer available might want to watch the 2002 PBS series, "Frontier Life."

This series asked 3 families to basically "bug out" to the 1880s. The families were given some basic supplies, and had 4 months in which to prepare for the harsh Montana winter. (Tell your friends, Montana sucks!) The series presents an interesting and informative look into just what it takes to survive. From nuts n bolts survival skills to the complexities of family and group social interaction, I consider it a "must watch" for any prepper.

The whole series is available on YouTube, here's the first episode to get you pointed in the right direction...

I'm really looking forward to hearing your comments, so, ummm, hurry up and watch the damn thing already. :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
I watched this when it first aired. Interesting how quickly people broke mentally.

There's an old saying: "Once they've been to Paris, it's hard to keep them on the farm."

I recall the girls sneaking away to wear lipstick and doll up their hair. And then almost dying trying to milk cows in winter....

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
This is on tonite? Hope my cable company carries it. Enjoy the heck out of this stuff. Like folks moving to alaska and think they just go out and pick berries off bushes to survive. A lot more to it than that. My next stop, the newbbie section to introduce my self.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I watched the entire series and was really disappointed by the way the families couldn't do what was necessary. I decided that the people chosen could have been screened a bit better on a psychological level. They were supposed to be pioneers but these people were too used to the comforts of modern living to realize that they were being thrust into a real life survival situation where the only recourse was to work hard every day just to get by.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PaulS, I suspect they were screened to present maximum drama. It was still an interesting series, and easy to draw some parallels to prepping, even though that wasn't its intention. The psychological aspects fascinated me, and drove home the point that mental prep is as important as having food, shelter, and so on.

1skrewsloose, no it originally aired in 2002, but the entire series is available on YouTube.

TMCertified, yer welcome.

PBS did another series, "Colonial House," that might be worth a look too. Colonial House used a larger group and put them in an earlier time setting. They also did "Manor House" and a few others.

Reactions: Ripon

·
Registered
103 Posts
Prepadoodle, My wife and I just finished the 6th and final episode. We enjoyed the heck out of that series. Wish they made more, but will check out the other ones you mentioned. Yeah, there was some great information that I really enjoyed and as the other person mentioned that mental aspect of the whole experience. As prepared as all of us might get, I think it still isn't going to be easy by any means. At least I'm in warmer climate but that also gives its own set of challenges as well. Certainly a good show to watch and I took several things from it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts