Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My step-father and I, together, have accumulated enough fire power as well as ammunition for enough protection for my mother and my wife until we see fit. As far as what we have and how much will be left unsaid. So for this particular conversation I'm wanting to stick on the topic of Slingshots and Pellet/BB Guns. I don't want a thread of a debate between which is better or more reliable/practical because like I stated, I am very pro-gun and would like to pick up a new hobby and skill with a slingshot or BB gun. Any information, websites, products, insight, suggestions, or anything at all from the forum members is very very appreciated and welcomed. What do you think guys, do I buy the good old fashioned slingshot? Or do I go the "You'll shoot your eye out with a Red Rider" BB gun route?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Go to YOUTube and type in Airgun Academy, there are tons of videos on airguns they will tell you everything you need to know about them. As far as slingshots, I have a couple about all I can say is practice and buy spare rubber replacements.
I have considered getting a higher quality one (air gun, not sling shot), I think the break barrel Nitro Piston type might be the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK Thanks a ton, I'll check that out. So Moonshinedave, you think purchasing either/or for an emergency hunting/defense back up is fairly safe investment. I figured either an air gun or slingshot could be carried on you at all times, with no second thought, while hiking/camping and during an emergency/survival situation, so why not? HaHa

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
OK Thanks a ton, I'll check that out. So Moonshinedave, you think purchasing either/or for an emergency hunting/defense back up is fairly safe investment. I figured either an air gun or slingshot could be carried on you at all times, with no second thought, while hiking/camping and during an emergency/survival situation, so why not? HaHa
You are welcome, I figure, they may become a time when a person might want to take a rabbit or whatever without letting everyone around know what you're up to. No, air guns aren't completely silent, but a lot more so than a firearm. I've got an el'cheapo now, but someday may well invest in a better quality one. A sling shot at close range might also someday put dinner on the table without drawing attention.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I have a sling bow, which is a good mix between a bow and a sling. It will fire rocks, pebbles, shot, lead balls etc as well as arrows. It is lethal to a range of 100 yards with the arrow, and 50 yards with the former items.
That's some pretty good shooting, better than I'll ever be. Slingbow? I would like to see a pic of that thing.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
KY I have to ask what the overall use will be, if quiet kills and your as well armed as you say, I would go a supresser or 2 with the firearm of your choice, I see a note on hiking, (I assume you have a concealed weapons permit) and you will have a sidearm and ammo with you??

but to your choice, air rifle, minimal extra training, and some are better than a .22

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh ok so the arrow shooting mech is an attachment, seriously cool. Thanks looks pretty fun, especially with that tactical light on it HaHa somebody knocked the old fashioned slingshot I mentioned straight out of the park!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am rather fond of my NP .22 air rifle. It shoots pointed pellets through half inch plywood.

I also like a decent wrist rocket type slingshot and have found it rather effective at ranges up to 25 yards or so. As a youth I kept us supplied in "squib" for the table with one (pigeons for those who don't know -- and yes, they eat well!).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pheniox17, I wont be suppressing any firearm of mine, I'd prefer to just get a slingshot or air gun like I mentioned in the original post HaHA. And I wasn't trying to "brag" about being well-armed, I said that to not have anyone even mentioning firearms in this thread(didn't work HaHa) hence the reason I sought out the specific section of "Slingshots, Bows, etc" and not "How to/Why to Suppress your firearms." And as for the reason of use, again previously stated, just picking up a hobby. Maybe in the emergency situation used for small game hunting. I want my guns the way I and my partner(step-daddy) have them, and that is with them going BOOM!!!!!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

Not mine, but similar. You can remove the arrow attachment so it becomes a sling.
ok.how much?? and can it be pulled down for shipping??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am rather fond of my NP .22 air rifle. It shoots pointed pellets through half inch plywood.

I also like a decent wrist rocket type slingshot and have found it rather effective at ranges up to 25 yards or so. As a youth I kept us supplied in "squib" for the table with one (pigeons for those who don't know -- and yes, they eat well!).
Sounds like something I need to look into. Thanks a bunch everyone!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Pheniox17, I wont be suppressing any firearm of mine, I'd prefer to just get a slingshot or air gun like I mentioned in the original post HaHA. And I wasn't trying to "brag" about being well-armed, I said that to not have anyone even mentioning firearms in this thread(didn't work HaHa) hence the reason I sought out the specific section of "Slingshots, Bows, etc" and not "How to/Why to Suppress your firearms." And as for the reason of use, again previously stated, just picking up a hobby. Maybe in the emergency situation used for small game hunting. I want my guns the way I and my partner(step-daddy) have them, and that is with them going BOOM!!!!!
i had to ask...

and wasn't pointing out bragging or bragging rights was more trying to work out why?? why you want it?? why you would consider it's use for hiking?? and such when a majority get them for silent hunting...
for a hobby, get both, the slingshot will be more challenging and a new skill when a air rifle will be another tool for you to play with when .22 ammo gets more expensive, plenty of good entry level examples out there

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pastornator, I checked out some of those NP .22 air rifles, and those are pretty slick. Thanks for the lead. And my step-dad mentioned a old school sling shot(He's 60) from his childhood and he swears up and down with a steel ball for your projectile, he could bring down a Doe in one shot(He is also full of piss and vinegar in my personal opinion HaHa but all in good nature) so I think I'm more or less looking for some sort of ancient artifact slingshot from since the beginning of time that's in his own words, "just a Y shaped stick with a Heavy-Duty rubber band on it" HaHaHa.

·
Registered
419 Posts
He isn't wrong. With a Ball Bearing I can kill a rabbit at 50 yards, and its pretty much silent all the way. Getting a headshot, yeh not so easy, but a kill shot is easy enough. If you injure the animal, then you follow it and kill it by doing a point blank head shot when its dropped to the floor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the only reason I would consider carrying it for hiking, Phoneix17, was more the hobby aspect than survival aspect. I'm a big kid at heart and while I'm hiking, I can't help the notion to shoot a squirrel or bird or knock some pine cones or crab apples down from a tree with one eye closed drawing back that band to release a marble at what feels like a million miles per hour HaHa. And I guess I was wanting some names of entry level examples of air rifles and pellet guns. Even with the big kid in me, I never got into BB guns. It was a slingshot, to paintball, to real guns if I'm not mistaken.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.