Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been mulling about fostering children for several years now and finally I called for more information. The lady from Children's Services (CAS) is coming over next week for some discussion.

This greatly changes the stockpile list if we decide to really get into this.

Also, since the kids (various ages, and temporary) will undoubtedly see all the food stuffs coming in the house and in storage - it would be hard to keep prepping a secret.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Not even sure where to begin. My wife licensed foster care families for California for 4 years - about 10 years ago. I recall her telling me how "subjective" the social workers were including their political bias. Being a supervisor she'd often have to over rule some. She mentioned there were two social workers at the time that would find a reason to say no to a family whenever they didn't like them - and they didn't like gun owners.

·
Super Moderator
9,074 Posts
I wish you all the luck in the world. Way too many kids need a break. As far as trying to keep your secret, well that's a real quandary. Boys might understand more than girls, but...

·
RIP Johnny
179 Posts
I applaud your wanting to help kids but with the dealings I have had with children services( all professional) you will have to follow some very strict government controls. They definitively don't like firearms, and are very strict on how you can discipline the kids. Plus you are entered into another government database, but whatever decision you make I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
You will have to child-proof your home inside and out. You can have guns but they need to be locked away so that they are useless. Some of the kids will be very "troubled" and there is little you can do but call the case worker and have them re-assigned. You get really attached to the good ones and some of the troubled ones too. It is hard to let them go - especially when they are sent back to the abuse they came from or to a home you know is no good.

I wish you the best but be sure to protect your family first. You can lose the foster kid and your own if anything resembling abuse is reported. (even an accidental fall)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Have a buddy who does the foster parent thing... They asked tons of questions about guns and such... It wouldn't surprise me if prepping became an issue... Maybe it's time for a shed... or a storage unit...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

But what about my prepping? These kids can talk about seeing all these stockpile of food?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Good luck to you if you decide to go ahead. I considered it myself a few years back. My deciding factor against it was that I just could not abide with having DSS in my house and being in my 'business'. No way you're gonna prep at home and the kids not know it.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Look at it from this view-point:

Would an ultra liberal woman believe you were in your right mind preparing for extreme emergencies? She might accept 3 days or a weeks worth of stores but a years worth? You are crazy and I don't want those children near you.

You should at least attend their class on home life and discipline.... see if you can live within their guidelines.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Unfortunately we have no BOL. We don't have any children.

We have a good space under the stairs (it's like a big L-shaped crawlspace). I'm thinking of hauling food/water in there (put them inside stackable plastic bins. We rotate those secretly (when the kids are in school or out). With so many mouths to feed, it can easily be explained to any curious kids why we got so many extra groceries. Hopefully, they're not keeping tab, or doing an inventory. :lol:

We've got to get the rifles in some good hiding spots, though.

If we're going to do this - and it's not for sure yet - we're determined that either my hubby or me will always be in the house. The kids will not be left unattended by either one of us. It's just for safety precaution, too. Just saw a comment from a foster parent in another site that some troubled kids are into matches, among other things.

Yes. We know about the crazy bureaucracy and rules. We cringe about that.

Our deal-breaker will be:
We are a Christian family and we go to church every Sunday. We will accept to foster children whose parents had given permission for their children to be taken to our church.

If the Children Services say we can't do that - then, adios amigos.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Good for you. My sister did it and it was great. Not sure how you'll address your concerns. Most agencies like this are highly liberal and being a gun owner or prepper will get you eliminated. As was said, very subjective.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You'd be surprised... my parents would probably never outright use the term "preppers" to describe themselves, but my mom always keeps the pantry loaded, and my dad always keeps plenty of wood ready for the wood stove if you catch my drift...

But as a kid, I never thought twice about it. It wasn't until I decided to prep that I realized there are ways to integrate it into your daily life.

If you present these aspects of your preps and de-emphasize other parts, the kids and officials aren't likely to think twice about it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Look at it from this view-point:

Would an ultra liberal woman believe you were in your right mind preparing for extreme emergencies? She might accept 3 days or a weeks worth of stores but a years worth? You are crazy and I don't want those children near you.

You should at least attend their class on home life and discipline.... see if you can live within their guidelines.
Easy way to get around that is to say "I keep the pantry loaded so I don't have to shop as often.... It's just the way we've budgeted."

·
Super Moderator
9,507 Posts
You're only real problems will be the fact that you are Christians and gun owners.

The guns have to be locked up. Hidden and locked up would be better. You will be dealing with very trouble children. Locked up will be for both your and their benefit. If CPS finds out you are gun owners, that will most likely be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You're only real problems will be the fact that you are Christians and gun owners.

The guns have to be locked up. Hidden and locked up would be better. You will be dealing with very trouble children. Locked up will be for both your and their benefit. If CPS finds out you are gun owners, that will most likely be a deal breaker.
hahaha... when my buddy found out what his foster son's dad looked like, he got his gun OUT of the safe and put a round in the chamber...

Sometimes protecting the child means disagreeing with the bureaucrat...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update. Over an hour of info and overview, and no mention of guns. Maybe questions about guns will be on the questionaires that comes with the application forms. As for religion, it's okay apparently.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts