Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a SilverFire rocketstove and it works well to boil water - but what I want to do is bake bread with it.

I am looking for an oven that can sit on top/above the SilverFire and accept the heat and be even enough to bake bread.

I found that Coleman has a lightweight camping oven but the reviews don't look too promising. I also found a Grover Chimney Oven Grover Chimney Oven Oven (part 1) - YouTube but it looks like that works on their rocket stove or a wood stove. It is kind of what I am looking for but I don't see how I would adapt it to fit a SilverFire type stove.

Does anyone know of any "sit on top or over a SilverFire" oven that could bake bread? I would rather purchase one instead of making one because I might be good at some things but making things out of metal is not one of them.
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
kevin
Try a cast iron dutch oven elevated over your rocket stove. You will need to put some heat on top of the dutch oven to get an even bake by using some hot coals. You might want to improvise a baking rack inside the dutch oven to elevate the dough to keep it from burning. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
I too love the Dutch oven, but like Slippy says, it'll be tough to adapt. I just burn a fire down to coals. I think Coleman had an oven at one time that sat on top of their stove, so I checked and found it. Folds down, cost $50. You still might have to elevate and adapt it
View attachment 3560

·
Registered
855 Posts
kevin
Try a cast iron dutch oven elevated over your rocket stove. You will need to put some heat on top of the dutch oven to get an even bake by using some hot coals. You might want to improvise a baking rack inside the dutch oven to elevate the dough to keep it from burning. Good luck.
If it can't be done in a dutch oven it ain't worth doing. There are volumes of cookbooks out there for dutch ovens and a lot of people make breads of one kind or another in them, usually they are quick breads I think but I see no reason why you couldn't bake a yeast bread in them. Using one on a stove might be a bit tough but I'm sure it can be done and I suspect the cast iron will be easier to get even heat from than say one of the portable stove top ovens out there. If you already have a dutch oven I'd try that before I went and bought something else.

-Infidel

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Like several of the others have said a cast iron dutch oven is the way to go. My wife has even made cakes in them and they work fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I'll give that a try. I was kinda hoping that someone came up with an actual oven that sat over top of the ticket stove.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.