Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a gear layout that I have made myself, might work for some, especially when on a budget. The principals/purpose of this gear is to give you basic protection and combat (if necessary) efficiency while being under 500 dollars. Most of the items are from cheaper than dirt, however most items can be found elsewhere. I have a couple variations for cheapest,cheap, and budget. I am not the best prepper, not the most skilled, so I would love some CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM
So that I could revise this some I could help myself, and perhaps others.

Cheapest layout:
Type 53 mosin nagant -120.00 avg.
Flektarn camo Flak vest 40.00 avg.
Steel Helmet (m71 swiss, m40 russian, m1 American, etc) 30.00-45.00 avg
440 round can of surplus 7.62x54r- 120.00 avg.
320.00 avg Total
Cheap layout:
M91/30 mosin nagant 120.00-150.00 avg
10 Stripper Clips- 15.00 avg
Sks sever pocket chest rig- 10.00 avg.
335.00 avg total
Budget Layout:
M44 mosin nagant 150.00 avg.
10 Stripper Clips- 15.00 avg
Sks sever pocket chest rig- 10.00 avg.
AR500 steel plate 10x12 65.00 avg.
400.00 avg total

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good start. Throw in a handgun, holster, etc, and some food and first aid stuff, along with water, and knife, a back pack and a few other essentials. This represents a good start.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I like the approach if you are really on a tight budget. It's easy to say just save your money until you can afford better equipment but I know people who would have to make real sacrifices to come up with 400 - 500 bucks so having something that works is much better than not having at all.

If the list were mine I would reconsider the helmet and the flak jacket. Any rifle round is likely to defeat them, and if you have ever worn a kevlar helmet you will shudder at the thought of having to wear steel. I'd drop them from your "Cheap" list and get it down to around $240 then add something like an surplus Argus 9mm (time to break out the flame retardant underwear, lol) and you are still under $500.

Of course, security is a moot point without shalter, water, and food but I believe your inventory in trained hands will stand up against most of the untrained population so long as you aren't facing numbers. It's a damn shame the days of the $100 SKS is a thing of the past.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Another vote against flak jacket and helmet. If you already have them they can be useful as conditioning tools. However in a firefight a bullet through the zipper means you will die wearing the jacket. If you perceive a need for it snaps only.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Since I'm not bugging out, . . . my loadout is my main battle rifle, . . . 30 to 60 rounds of ammo, . . . my super softee quiet shoes, . . . camo shirt, britches, hat, . . . and enough dirt on my face and hands that I can't be seen.

We are talking of a scouting trip around the outside perimeter of my AO. Would love to have a kevlar skid lid and some serious body armor, . . . but there are a whole bunch of other things I think that have a more important role in my home defense plan.

But if you gotta go, . . . the OP list might get him through, . . . but he needs a 1911 in there some where.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Holding down the homefront or BOL is one thing. You're there, you can wear what you want when you want if you've got it. Bugging out, cover distance, is a whole other thing. Weight, freedom of movement, staying cool, and making your supplies last. Not a chance in hell am I wearing my bullet proof vest to bug out in. I sweat a couple gallon wearing it without a pack and other gear. I can see myself, 5 miles down the road, a walking wet towel soaked to the bone in sweat, canteen and bladder run dry, looking for more water, cursing the world, looking to shoot someone to take it out on. To hell with a flak jacket and helmet unless your in a controlled situation where you can take it off later and not be leaving it on the side of a tree.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
On the question of full body armor - like the black "assault" teams wear for a home entry - how much protection does all that gear provide (from a 3006 say) and what whould you have to add for better protection?

More curiosity than any particular interest....

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
On the question of full body armor - like the black "assault" teams wear for a home entry - how much protection does all that gear provide (from a 3006 say) and what whould you have to add for better protection?

More curiosity than any particular interest....
Soft body armor which norm is Level III these days I'd say won't do anything against .30-06 or any other rifle round. It's meant to stop pistol rounds and may not stop all of them. You'll got you use ballistic plates rated for the heavier rifle rounds and they add a good amount of weight. Not many people who know better would want to bug out on foot with either. The plates commonly only cover your front center mass and back so all those open areas around the edges and sides are open hit zones. Someone smart wanting to kill someone in it would wait for the shot to get around the armor or a head shot.

Body Armor | Concealable Body Armor | Tactical Body Armor - SAFARILAND®

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed responses! as for the flak vest and helmet, I could see not wearing them too much, but lets say the us gets invaded or even worse, obama decides to go commie, and theres bombing, etc. I think the flak vest and helmet would do good. See, i live in southern california and we got azuza canyon pretty near us and its a good canyone goin many miles deep into wilderness. I would most likely make a camp real deep into it, and patrol it. of course i wouldnt wear flak vest and helmet doin that haha maybe the vest though. But a question to the more experienced preppers, could a ar500 plate fit into a flak vest? Ive heard many say it could, but i dont know how it would.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Soft body armor which norm is Level III these days I'd say won't do anything against .30-06 or any other rifle round. It's meant to stop pistol rounds and may not stop all of them. You'll got you use ballistic plates rated for the heavier rifle rounds and they add a good amount of weight. Not many people who know better would want to bug out on foot with either. The plates commonly only cover your front center mass and back so all those open areas around the edges and sides are open hit zones. Someone smart wanting to kill someone in it would wait for the shot to get around the armor or a head shot.

Body Armor | Concealable Body Armor | Tactical Body Armor - SAFARILAND®
I know a little about the common "body armor" but the swat and other teams use a full body suit with helmet and face shield. What kind of protection does that provide?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
All I can say is this... if I see someone in body armor, I'm aiming for the face or knees.
Not necessary. Any center mass hit with a rifle will put them down. It takes a lot of adrenaline to overcome a blow to the chest with that much kinetic energy. Then it's time to break contact.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ive heard of people also getting 2 flak vests and doubling the kevlar inserts. is this good for perhaps larger caliber pistols? or just impractical.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
decide on a plan that best suits your physical and mental abilities, personally I believe that most of the average joes that are planning on hiking out of the major metro areas are going to be Targets of Opprotunity, to 1. exhaustion the crap that most people think they are going to carry ask any ground pounder in here about ruckin up 2. the police, mercs, or any other highly trained paramilitary organization just like in New Orleans during katrina, 3. roving indiv or gangs of people that want your stuff. Lets say defending from home is not an option then why and can that be overcome if not then how far is your BOL, can you drive to BOL if you can so can someone else , does your BOL have some sort of natural shelter like a cave or mineshaft or an old abandoned structure like a barn or house, is your BOL on private property that you dont own, national forest, or state public land, does your BOL have a source of water, does your BOL have any fish or game, does your BOL have any signs of human activity at or nearby, is your BOL unsecure because of weather like flashflood or brushfire is your BOL on highground easier to defend but harder to hide, does your BOL, have an escape route. if I had a choice and felt very secure Id cache supplies at more than one location near my BOL, whats your timeline for survival in wilderness setting 1 wk, 1 month, 1 year, try to leave as little sign as possible going to your BOL use different routes to BOL, ditch non essential stuff helmets and flak jacket Id rather have water and MRE's, tools for survival like traps and fishing equip tools for building shelter are you mentally and physically prepared for wilderness survival. Shelter Water food security. Hiking into a canyon with no plan is a bad idea. scout your BOL know it like the back of your hand have a backup, conceal secure evade and defend silently when at all possible. hope this helps. your thinking for low buck is good but Plan, Organize and Equip for your enviroment terrain geography and weather.
I used this list in an excel format and added comment boxes to each item its probably not perfect but you can use it in excel and start adding things you think you may need for your particular situation
Shelter
Water
Food
Cooking
Kitchen
Hygene / Bathing
Clothing
Fuels
Lierature
Tools
BOB
BOL