I am looking into the same thing. We are about to buy ahouse with a pool and there is a undergound 1000 gal propane tank hooked to a generator (will serve electric needs), and propane for cooking. May add a solor panel to the pool house to run the pool pumps. Wondering would chlorine or salt water pool be better to try and turn into drinking water? And why? Would running it through a Berkly Filter and then adding bleach do the trick? Currently the pool is chlorine, but thinking of changing it all out to a salt water system, 'if' the water chould be filtered etc for drinking if really needed. I have heard that the salt water system really is already safe to drink, that there isn't enough chemical in it to make you sick, but I don't know for sure.Yes, provided you can keep it clean and then disinfect it prior to using it as drinking water. Without electricity to keep the pump running, and chemicals circulating, it will go green. While fine for storage, I would plan on disinfecting it regardless of what it looks like, prior to consuming the water.
With chlorinated water, if you put it In a bucket for a day a lot of the clorine will evaporate outI will be setting up a 33' round above ground pool this spring. It holds approximately 22,000 gallons. That will last quite a long time if needed for fresh water. Pool water at normal chlorine levels is perfectly safe to drink. Chlorine and bleach are the same thing.
I ran a municipal pool, so bear that in mind. Most home pools don't always follow the municipal regulations. It's easier to get away with because they don't circulate water through the moving parts continuously. That's a requirement for municipal pools.pharmer14, beside chlorine, what other are common chemicals used in pools that we might have to worry about?