Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You might hear of it named 100 different ways, this is why I put different versions in the subject line.

I love old timey recipes and ways of doing things. Whenever I get anxious thinking about possible financial meltdowns or other unknowns that might be in our future, it calms me to think of the way people used to get by…they didn't have much money but managed to provide food and shelter for their families.

It gives me a measure of reassurance to know that with the knowledge of how they used to do things, we can, if needed to, put those old ways into practice and take care of our families. I especially love recipes that are based on foraging because it's almost like getting free food. You didn't have to do the work of planting or weeding in a garden, but you end up with a wonderful meal. Polk salet has always been in my life... my mom grew up with it as a regular spring time meal and did the same when she had her own family. Pokeweed is known to be somewhat poisonous... this is the reason for boiling and straining multiple times. Also, it should be only eaten while younger and tender.... leave it alone with it gets past 10 - 12 inches tall.

Polk Salet

Gather up a fairly large amount of tender polk leaves…you'll need a lot because they boil down to almost nothing. Start by thoroughly washing the poke leaves. Put them into a large pot, cover with water and add a little salt and boil for about 10 minutes. Pour the water off. Add fresh water and salt and boil again. Drain. Fry in bacon grease. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Frying a chopped onion in the bacon grease before adding the polk is good as well as adding in bacon pieces if that's the way you got the bacon grease. Polk is excellent with corn bread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts