Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
22m_1_3_zps35249211.jpg

Thinking about buying a North American Arms 22 Mag with a 1 5/8" barrel. My logic behind this is that I will carry more often. I have a hard time caring most autos and revolvers due to the weight and comfort. Has anyone had any experience with NAA? The appear to be well made.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
How does that go a .22 beats a t rock. IMO a .22 or a small .25 auto like I Have is better than nothing
If I were going o carry a .22 revolver it would need a trigger guard an shielded , hammer exposed hammers are hard to get out of a pocket. They do make an interesting Holster grip for that weapon
You might be better off with a one of the small autos .22's.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
View attachment 2825

Thinking about buying a North American Arms 22 Mag with a 1 5/8" barrel. My logic behind this is that I will carry more often. I have a hard time caring most autos and revolvers due to the weight and comfort. Has anyone had any experience with NAA? The appear to be well made.
I owned that exact one and yes it's real easy to carry and it's well made. Why I sold it because it's a real slow reload and it doesn't have a hammer safety so I carried it on an empty chamber. I owned one of the first that they made so all of this may have changed. It was great because I could hang it from a neck holster or just stick it in my pocket when I was in shorts and a T-shirt.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Have you checked out the Kahr P380. I have a custom made holster that slips into my back pocket for the little guy. Looks and feels like my wallet, works great for summer time carry.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have a Seecamp .32 that I carry more often than anything and I don't carry it very often. There are several clones out there now that are cheaper. The little .22 is better than nothing but not much.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I like the pistol, but you say you have problems with the weight and comfort of what you are carrying now? How long have you been carrying? Mine felt like a boat anchor the first few times I wore it, now I don't even notice having it on, meaning you'll get used to it. Also you may want to consider this:

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
View attachment 2825

I have 2 of them. I consider these back-up to my back-up guns but I do carry these a fair amount and have them around when anything else is too big. They are well made and fire just fine. I have the oversized grips on them and that helps with the grip as these are very small. Another cool thing about the NAA's is they go where no other has gone, at least for me. I can carry these in the car in an eyeglasses case and they'll even fit in the ashtray in my car.
I have even carried one under a large wristband while walking. These are slow to re-load as you have to pull the cylinder pin then take the cylinder out to re-load. The hammer sits in a grove so even if you pull on the trigger it won't go off, you have to cock the pistol to fire it.

My main pocket carry is a Kahr PM-9, Ruger LCP and or LCR but I usually have one of these little guys hiding somewhere on me.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
A Charter U/C Lite weighs 12.3 ounces,a LCP or P3-AT weigh about 11, the NAA is about the same.

22 lr/2 WMR are as scarce as hens teeth. I can load 38 or 380

·
Registered
559 Posts
I had a similar one that I received as a present, it was re-gifted. It was too small for me to effectively employ. I carry a G19 but if you want something smaller look at the Ruger LCP, S&W Bodyguard or other similar small guns, there are even holsters that square them out so it fits, feels and prints just like a wallet in your pocket. Even those guns I just listed are on the small end for my liking, but YMMV.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have carried one since the mid 80's. Get a good pocket holster and you can draw as fast as anyone. The newer ones have a safety slot on the cylinder. No trigger guard, it is a single action only. More killed with a 22 than any other caliber. I do not go looking for trouble and if I need more than 5 shots, should not be there. At home I have a 45, ar15 and a tactical shotgun, with ammo. NAA not a bad choice.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I own one, I primarily carry it in the summer time when my wardrobe restricts me from carrying my larger guns. I would not want to try a shot over about 15-20' with it, but for up close and personal it is very handy.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for everyone’s help.

Just got back from my local gun stores and was able to put my hands on the NAA 22. I found it kind of awkward in my hands. The clip grip version worked best. The real negative was nobody had 22 mag ammo! Also looked at the Ruger LPC 380, Kel Tec 380, Diamond 380 and the S&W 380 body guard. I think it’s between the bodyguard (more features) and the Kel Tec (the lightest of the two, the weight is close to the NAA 22 mag). Home now doing some more research before I go back to the gun store to purchase.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thanks for everyone's help.

Just got back from my local gun stores and was able to put my hands on the NAA 22. I found it kind of awkward in my hands. The clip grip version worked best. The real negative was nobody had 22 mag ammo! Also looked at the Ruger LPC 380, Kel Tec 380, Diamond 380 and the S&W 380 body guard. I think it's between the bodyguard (more features) and the Kel Tec (the lightest of the two, the weight is close to the NAA 22 mag). Home now doing some more research before I go back to the gun store to purchase.
The bodyguard is a really nice gun, a few people I know have them and love them. Once again too small for me but they are nice little guns.

I don't know if they make one specifically for the Bodyguard but these pocket holsters for the LCP look really neat. Amazon.com: Guide Gear Ruger LCP Pistol Holster: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
24,403 Posts
I understand your dilemma. Alabama in the summer makes carrying something one has to think about before leaving the house. I'm a .45ACP fan, but found .45 sidearms hard to comfortably conceal when clothes are at the jeans and T-shirt level.

Here's how I got around the problem without having to resort to such a small weapon:

First thing I did was swallow my .45 pride and bought a Taurus 709 Slim auto, 9mm. The 709 Slim is a compact, concealable auto that easily conceals with a Galco belt holster and an island shirt. What about my favorite attire, the T-shirt and jeans? Simple. I use a piece of leather with belt holes at both ends. I run the belt through the holes so that the leather hides behind the belt. This makes sort of a pocket for the weapons to ride. Only the barrel and the trigger guard fits into the pocket. The weapon will not fall through and the belt holds it snug against my body to where it does not print at all!

Sure, I dropped down to 9mm, but I find that acceptable. Most importantly, it was cheap, easy and comfortable. Seven rounds of 9mm loaded in a good weapon sitting on my hip are better than five mags of 45 ACP and the Taurus 24/7 left back in the truck.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Their web site says you don't have to rest the hammer on an empty cylinder because they have between cylinder notches. So you can carry all 5 rounds (cool). I was going to buy one once but the two guys behind the counter and myself took several minutes trying to open the chamber and reinstall it as you would on any normal reload. NO THANKS. I'm sure it's faster with experience, but JEESH!

Biggest issue for me is the NAA Sidewinder .22mag is 6.7 ounces, & 5" long. An LCP (with 7 rounds of .380 ACP, and QUICK reloadable magazines) is only 9.4 ounces, and 5.16" long. Same size and weight as an average wallet, LOTS more firepower.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was going to buy one once but the two guys behind the counter and myself took several minutes trying to open the chamber and reinstall it as you would on any normal reload. NO THANKS. I'm sure it's faster with experience, but JEESH!
I had watched several You Tube videos on how to put the pistol on safe before I left home to go to the gun stores. I had the same experience as you. It took more time than I expected to get the notch lined up. It sure looked a lot easier on You Tube.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
25 auto Phoenix Raven 2 dollar pistol that works
bottom one fits in any pocket

Reactions: Doomsday

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I understand your dilemma. Alabama in the summer makes carrying something one has to think about before leaving the house. I'm a .45ACP fan, but found .45 sidearms hard to comfortably conceal when clothes are at the jeans and T-shirt level.

Here's how I got around the problem without having to resort to such a small weapon:

First thing I did was swallow my .45 pride and bought a Taurus 709 Slim auto, 9mm. The 709 Slim is a compact, concealable auto that easily conceals with a Galco belt holster and an island shirt. What about my favorite attire, the T-shirt and jeans? Simple. I use a piece of leather with belt holes at both ends. I run the belt through the holes so that the leather hides behind the belt. This makes sort of a pocket for the weapons to ride. Only the barrel and the trigger guard fits into the pocket. The weapon will not fall through and the belt holds it snug against my body to where it does not print at all!

Sure, I dropped down to 9mm, but I find that acceptable. Most importantly, it was cheap, easy and comfortable. Seven rounds of 9mm loaded in a good weapon sitting on my hip are better than five mags of 45 ACP and the Taurus 24/7 left back in the truck.
I've got a Kel Tec P11 with belt clip that I normally carry but I even find it too heavy and uncomfortable for all day everyday carry. Especially during warm weather months. As you know here in the south that's most of the year.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
25 auto Phoenix Raven 2 dollar pistol that works
bottom one fits in any pocket
I've got one of those Ravens too. I keep it in my get home bag in the back of the car. I got it for my wife several years ago and when she shot it, the slide left two groves in her hand. She never would pick up that gun again. Ended up getting her a Lady Smith revolver.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I used to have the Crimson Trace laser on the LCP, but it was silly dead weight imo so I took it back off. Neat and trendy toy, but activating a laser in a CCW situation is a waste of precious time and unnecessary fumbling when your NOT going to be shooting more than 20 feet and still calling it self defense in any court.

I also like pocket carry pistols because if I'm a thief and see a guy reaching up under his shirt at the base of his spine I know damn well it's NOT for his wallet! And will attack him accordingly before he has a chance to ever clear his holster. Seems like a real DUH! scenario most CCW people don't realize will be reality. :?

View attachment 2828 View attachment 2829

Brown wallet in pic for size.

The NAA .22mag's are a nice option to if your good at reloading them just in case there's need. Not sure what the best way to carry spare rounds would be.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts