Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite game recipe is grilled duck breasts topped with a glaze of blackberry sauce.

To cook the duck breasts, cut the breast meat free from the duck carcass, and leave the skin on. Take a sharp knife and cut score lines across the skin on the duck breast, cutting shallow lines through the skin but not into the meat, going in one direction, then turn the breast and cut in the opposite direction, so that the skin is cross-hatched with shallow cuts in the skin. This will allow most of the fat to drip out of the duck breasts during grilling, but will keep the meat moist.

Put sea salt (or kosher salt, or even regular salt) and fresh ground pepper on both sides of the duck breasts, and grill to your desired level. I prefer mine medium to medium rare. If you have a smoker, smoke the breasts for added flavor.

For the blackberry glaze sauce, get two cups of fresh (frozen will work, but fresh is better) blackberries. Get two tablespoons of dark brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, one teaspoon ground nutmeg, one teaspoon cayenne pepper (or adjust to your taste), and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt (or equivalent).

Add four tablespoons of butter to a sauce pan, and add in the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and sea salt, then gently chop up one half (one cup) of the blackberries, slowly adding them in and stirring often. Cook over medium heat, to sauté the blackberries in the sauce ingredients.

If you prefer more tart than sweet sauce, add 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar; add some cloves (one teaspoon or less) if you like the taste of cloves. I like my sauce sweet so I skip the vinegar and cloves.

Once the sauce blends together and gets to a consistent color and texture, it is ready. Take it off the heat, add to a bowl or gravy dish, and add in the other cup of fresh blackberries, whole. If using frozen blackberries, add these in after the sauce is blended well, but keep them whole if possible while gently warming them.

Take your warm grilled duck breasts, and place some blackberry glaze sauce on each breast, covering the entire breast. Add a dollop of the sauce right on top.

Serve with your favorite side dishes. And enjoy!

This sauce also tastes great on elk (my favorite - it tastes divine), venison, or steak. For a special treat, top some vanilla ice cream with some. Delicious.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My favorite fish recipe:

Get two to four fillets of your favorite white-fleshed fish - my favorite is pompano, but snapper, flounder, perch, crappie, bluegill, or trout will work great with this recipe. Fresh is best.

You'll need four tablespoons of butter, some seasoned flour (flour with your own favorite seasonings added), two or three whole cloves of garlic, one small onion - vidalia onions are best, and some button mushrooms - a cup is fine, sliced (more if you like them), some fresh parsley (you can leave this out if you want), one whole lemon, and 1/2 cup of quality white wine.

In a saute pan, use 2 tablespoons of butter, dredge your fillets in the seasoned flour, and cook 2-3 minutes per side in the saute pan. Remove fish and set aside on a warm plate, and cover.

Using the same pan, add two tablespoons of butter, and sauté the sliced onions, minced garlic, and sliced mushrooms until the onions are clear and mushrooms are done to your liking. Add in the parsley, and cut the lemon in half, and squeeze the lemon into the pan (cupping your hand under the lemon to catch any seeds). Add in the 1/2 cup of white wine to deglaze the pan (I use chardonnay). This will make a sauce, and the lemon juice will add a nice flavor. Let the sauce reduce down to about half of its original volume, and then use the vegetables and sauce to cover the fish. Serve with a fresh salad or other vegetables as a side dish, and with some warm French bread.

Takes about ten minutes to prepare, and about ten minutes to cook. Every time I cook this dish for friends, they all want the recipe. Works great in the outdoors, too - plan ahead, though!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
My favorite elk steak

Put Montreal's (Costco) steal seasoning on hour before grilling and cook to medium rare which is 5 minutes a side at 400 degrees. Lawrey's works almost as good.

It isn't rocket science but I'm a guy and NOBODY pushes it away

Reactions: bigwheel

·
Registered
17 Posts
My favorite fish recipe

Garlic-crusted Trout with Sweet Pepper and Shrimp Sauce

Sweet Pepper and Shrimp Sauce:
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tomato, peeled and finely diced
1 roasted red pepper, peeled, seeded, deribbed, and finely chopped
1/3 cup finely diced onion
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup shrimp stock or clam juice
12 to 15 large shrimp
1/3 cup fresh shredded basil
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup white cooking wine

Garlic Bread Crumbs:
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons Romano cheese
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
1/3 loaf stale French bread, cubed

4 skinless trout fillets (Steal head)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Preheat the oven to 500° F.
To make the sauce: In a large sauté pan or skillet over a medium heat, heat the olive oil and sauté the tomato, pepper, onion, salt, and cayenne for 1 minute. Add the lemon and lime juice and shrimp stock or clam juice. Add cream cheese and white cooking wine. Cook over medium heat until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Cut shrimp in half lengthwise. Add the shrimp and basil to the sauce. Cook until the shrimp turn pink, about 2 to 3 minutes.
To make the coating: Place all the ingredients for coating in a blender or food processor and blend until fine.
To prepare fillets: Press the trout fillets firmly into the coating to coat evenly. In a large ovenproof sauté pan or skillet, heat the oil to smoking and cook the fillets on each side until browned, about 2 minutes for each side. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until crust is crisp.
To serve: Place 1 fillet on each of four serving plates and surround with the sweet pepper and shrimp sauce. Serves: 4

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Backstrip steaks from a deer that was properly harvested, dressed, skinned, quartered, aged and butchered. sautee a large, yellow onion in butter with green peppers. Grill the steaks very slowly using sparing amounts of Montreal Steak Seasoning. Just before they are cooked to your liking cover them in Sweet Baby Ray's Original (World Famous) barbecue sauce. Let the sauce glaze to a perfect, sweet crust. Smother the backstrips in the buttered onion and peppers. Serve. Have plenty ready for seconds as they will be requested. People will not believe it is venison that they were served. Melts in your mouth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.