Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently starting prepping, and I have only made one purchase so far (a S&W 9mm pistol). Now I am debating between starting my Bug Out Bag or picking up a AR-!%for a little more protection/hunting abilities. Which way should I go? And please keep in mind I am a college student with minimal funds, thanks in advance for you input.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
It depends on some things. A bug out bag can be started for under a $100. An AR-15 is likely to run you a minimum of $700 and then some for ammo, magazines, cleaning gear, case, and if you choose to add optics, bipod, etc. An AR-15 with lots of ammo, magazines and other items will easily exceed a $1000 and so then I have to ask how much you are spending a month prepping? If its a $1000 a month then save up and buy a really nice AR and lots of accessories and you can still nail down a Bug Out Bag in 2 months too.

There are other equations. Since I just left CA as a resident but still have property and still work there I know for a fact the laws are on the verge of changing dramatically there. The Gov has not yet signed AB 374 but if it does - NO ONE in CA will buy an AR-15 after Dec. 31, 2013. So if you lived in CA you might want to prioritize the AR-15 right now, and conversely if you lived in a FREE state like NV (my legal residency now) I'd avoid the AR-15 right now because once the State of CA ban goes into place the manufactureres are going to lose 11-12% of their national market - which means bargains for the rest of us next year at this time.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah, I'd say unless you're in CA or a really good deal on an AR-15 comes up, I'd go for a BOB. You don't have to spend a ton of money to have a good one. And you don't have to have all the money at once, you can start out with a good backpack and add items whenever you get the chance/funds. That's what I did, I added to mine over the span of a couple months, just as I got the money for it, while also saving up for a new rifle.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
You are asking a Opinion so in my case I would say AR15
And the reason are simple You can get an Ar now ,will you be able to down the road?
Hand guns have their uses , but are limited. One will do if funds are limited time to get something a bit more flexible.

Reactions: inceptor

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
An AR-15 because unlike most things in your BOB it will retain its value just about forever if reasonable care is taken. Guns are about the only tangible thing I own that after 25 years I can still get what I paid for them. So it is good not only if SHTF but in a few years if for some reason you need some emergency money it can be sold. But for me it would have to be a major emergency.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
SHTF and there you are... Bug out bag and no weapon? = Somebody with a weapon now has a new bug out bag.

Aside from being "trendy", why an AR though? The only rifle that comes to mind that nearly mandates carrying a baggy of spare parts, .22 caliber opposed to widely available .30 caliber, not exactly famous for reliability, and the only rifle that's actually so poorly engineered it "poops where it eats". :/ Even wild animals know better than that.

And the only rifle to ever earn such a prestigious name / reputation!

AKA "The Poodle Shooter"
View attachment 2762

https://www.google.com/#q=poodle+shooter

·
Registered
438 Posts
Get the bag and a 22. While an AR would be a nice add, someone who has little to no shooting experience would be better off starting with a smaller caliber. You can carry more 22 ammo with you than AR anyways.

I just think this early in the game, you've got several different issues you need to take care of. People who pick up AR's often get consumed in modifying them with fancy toys. I think it might be better to take a modest approach.

Yeah the AR will be helpful in one or two situation (self defense or hunting). A bug out bag on the other hand will allow you to accomplish many different things (shelter, water, food, etc) and leave some cash for a 22 which will still let you hunt for some small game.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I set specific goals. My first procurements were all semi-automatic rifles, high capacity magazines and ammo. This was simply because you never know when the liberals will finally get some bans passed. I lack only an M-44 with two 440 round tins. Once I have that in hand I'm moving onto beans, rice and freeze dried foods and I'm going to start rotating bottled water.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
BigCheese, tell us how you really feel, lol. Gotta ask, have you ever carried an AR platform in an environement where people are trying to kill you?
I Have

Reactions: Meangreen

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
BigCheese, tell us how you really feel, lol. Gotta ask, have you ever carried an AR platform in an environement where people are trying to kill you?
Unfortunately yes. I also shot "expert" with one 5 out of 6 times, and even currently own an AR (DPMS LR-308) that I've fine tuned and modified enough to feel it almost qualify as "reliable" as long as I keep a baggy of spare parts handy like ALL AR owners should. The whole AR platform is a weapon flawed from one end to the other in every possible aspect (pick a part, almost EVERY part). The ONLY reason for it's acceptance is Robert McNamara took one of the greatest pay offs of military history to push it through. The reason for it being trendy is obvious. "It's what the military uses, it's whats in all the movies. I wanna be a hero just like them!" :-?

I hate seeing good people get played for a sucker buying into a marketing trend. Spending hard earned money for a weapon they might one day trust their lives to only to find out to late what they really bought.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Top, how much ya wanna bet we have the same platform(s) in the safe for our "go to"? I imagine we're both mind numbingly trained on mulltiple platforms, and probably used more than a few on the job, but our choice for personal use is the same. I'll grant they may not be bone stock outta the box examples though, lol.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Unfortunately yes. I also shot "expert" with one 5 out of 6 times, and even currently own an AR (DPMS LR-308) that I've fine tuned and modified enough to feel it almost qualify as "reliable" as long as I keep a baggy of spare parts handy like ALL AR owners should. The whole AR platform is a weapon flawed from one end to the other in every possible aspect (pick a part, almost EVERY part). The ONLY reason for it's acceptance is Robert McNamara took one of the greatest pay offs of military history to push it through. The reason for it being trendy is obvious. "It's what the military uses, it's whats in all the movies. I wanna be a hero just like them!" :-?

I hate seeing good people get played for a sucker buying into a marketing trend. Spending hard earned money for a weapon they might one day trust their lives to only to find out to late what they really bought.
I'll give you the fact that placing your life in the hands of a $600 AR is not the best choice. Cheap parts build cheap weapons. However, our views of a properly built platform seem to differ greatly. The beauty of life is choice though.

There are multiple choices of systems and I'm hard pressed to disagree with someones personal choices based on their own experiences. I will also wager if we were to compare safes or wish lists we would have more in common than not. All be it in possibly a differing ranking order.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have much experience with ARs but I am a decent shot with rifles, I was thinking an AR more for the defense, they tend to strike fear people who see them. I was looking into a .22 caliber AR, but I also for a 5.56mm AR for $650. Unfortunately as I am on a tight budget I have around $50 to $75/month to spend on prepping. The main reason I was thinking of getting an AR now is because its kind of a perfect storm where I get 3 paydays next month and will be getting some money someone owes me, so this may be the last time for a while I can make a big money item. Thank you for your opinions already and I look forward to more of your opinions.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Top, how much ya wanna bet we have the same platform(s) in the safe for our "go to"? I imagine we're both mind numbingly trained on mulltiple platforms, and probably used more than a few on the job, but our choice for personal use is the same. I'll grant they may not be bone stock outta the box examples though, lol.
AR are flexible do a wide range of duties , the better trained you are with one the better they serve you. They are feed the right ammo for the job witch makes a big difference. If need be the M24 is still here ready to go picked that one up from Remington recondition like new.
I have switched all new purchases of AR's to gas Piston , they won me over.
What you must understand with an AR is proper use of the sights at zero distance out to 50 meters ,then out 300 and the 300-600.
Own some AK platforms but they are short range weapons not a replacement for an AR by any means.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
OK, if anyone ever asks, I'll deny ever having said this:razz:......but.

If that is your budget you might consider looking into an AK platform. It's not nearly as accurate, but it shoots and will work well enough out to 200 or 300 so yards. In all honesty, any advesary farther away than that is far enough away to avoid.

Ammo is cheaper too.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
All in all we call it prepping not finished
We work at it chip away bit at a time. Each persons needs differ depending where you are threats you may or may not face early on.
BOB for me is a short term get back where I should be tool. Sort out your needs and wants fill the needs first.
If you can't defend it it is not yours long if you have nothing to defend then your screwed anyway.
If they are close enough to see you have an AR you broke rule number one. Keep your distance avoid contact.
But when rule number 1 falls it is a good idea to have to tools to correct the mistake.
While shopping for the right tools remember to pray this country wakes up and we avoid as much of the SHTF as we can.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts