Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Plated pistol bullets

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Seneca 
#1 ·
What is your take on plated bullets.
I've used them with fairly good success in reloads for target practice. Take for example Berry's plated bullets, you get a 250 count box of bullets (only) that run cost wise anywhere from 25 to35 bucks.

Smaller bullets 9mm etc. are less larger bullets .45ACP etc. are more. Yet the cost savings over conventional jacketed bullets is considerable and for reloaders on a budget. That's a good thing. Agree!

I've heard they can shed the plating at high velocity or if the crimp is such that it cuts through the 5 to 7 thousandths of an inch plating. I've never had the problem. So I have no first hand knowledge in that regard.

Merry Christmas!
and a Happy new year.

#3 ·
I have been shooting them at targets for years, Berry's mostly. They work well for target shooting and are a very soft lead, I would expect they would expand very well, they splatter off my steel plate more than my hard cast bullets.

#4 ·
Been using plated bullets for practice rounds and plinking. No issues so far. Much cheaper than FMJ or HP. Have not tried any rifle rounds.

I've also heard they can shed the plating, but haven't experienced it or had a problem with fouling the barrel. I tend to load on the light side of the reccomended charge for practice. Berry's website says to never exceed 1250fps or about 900fps for a 45ACP.

#6 ·
I've had great luck with plated bullets in .45ACP. I've used Rainier bullets a couple times and they are accurate in my 1911 and also in my friends XD. Not sure I would want to stake my life on them but I suppose in a pinch they would probably do the job.

-Infidel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.