Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have and use both the clear (see thru) and opaque (solid color) tubs. They work pretty well, are stackable and come in different sizes.

I believe that tubs are one of the items we all have and use. As a prepping item I think they are inexpensive and nearly indispensable for organizing both gear and food items.

Plastic tubs are useful for prepping, yet they rarely get mentioned. Why is that? because they are common and common things are often overlooked?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I use solid color tubs, most of mine are actually red/green I got on major sale after Christmas. Great way to organize if you don't have a lot of space, and a good way to keep things on the down low with company coming over.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Good. 18 gallon tubs were $5.97 at wally world; I always got the grey one's. Filled with a plastic bag liner they can hold 17.5 gallons water and still be movable by hand truck easy enough. I'm not lifting 17.5 gallons of water. With the lid on and the plastic bag I don't have to worry about bird crap falling in or anything else.

Also good. They've been part of my Bug Out Plan for a long time. (been mind you) My wife and I trained on loading up two of them and we actually stored a lot of goods in them so we could toss them in the truck and go quickly. We still have probably 5 of them with things like TP, soap, combined with a few heavier things like tools and canned goods ready to go in this manner.

What I don't like about them is they actually consume a great deal of wasted space because they are tapered and not square. When my Bug out Vehicle was a Honda Element the number of containers I could put in the back was far too small for such a vehicle, now that I've switched to a Ford F150 its easier, but I still prefer a "box" square to a tapered item. I prefer milk crates, square, because they are smaller too and easily stackable - yes I need to use more but I can put more of them in the F150 because they are square then the tapered 18 and 12 gallon containers I had been getting at Wally's

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not overly concerned about loosing a little space between the containers. If that were the case I be having fits over my 5 gallon pails of long term storage food. Now those eat up the space. I like the fact that the tubs/totes seal up well enough to keep dust and water out especially if they will be exposed to the weather.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have stacks of both colored and clear. The colored ones are stenciled on the outside with what type of construction materials they contain - ie. electrical, plumbing, painting/sheetrock tools etc. The clear ones I use for my sporting goods. They are not as durable, but I like the fact I can see in them. I use the clear ones for all of my outdoor hobby gear - ie. fishing gear, boating, gun parts etc.. I've even used them for an improvised bath tub for my kids when camping. They are a multi-use item and I like them a lot.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I like the ones at Wally World that have the latches and hinged lids. They are still stackable, but are built a bit more durable. More like a trunk, but cheaper. They also have wheels on one side, sort of like a built in hand truck for heavy items.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have so many tubs right now - I'd need a semi to haul them. All sizes. Inor just looks at me when I say I have to go to wherever and get more bins (as I call them) and sighs. Then he looks at what I do with the bins and grins.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I have so many tubs right now - I'd need a semi to haul them. All sizes. Inor just looks at me when I say I have to go to wherever and get more bins (as I call them) and sighs. Then he looks at what I do with the bins and grins.
The only reason I grimace when Mrs Inor buys more bins is because she does not buy them 4 or 5 at a time. She buys them 20 at a time and it means that I have a fair bit of work ahead of me to buy or built more shelving to hold them. On the upside, Mrs Inor is the most organized person I have ever met. We have more stuff in our house than Carter has little liver pills, but yet both of us know where every single thing is - usually - and it does not look like a home from reality TV. Most military bases are not as organized as Mrs Inor has us.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Inor,

I can relate to that on several levels, My wife has an eye for organization, she buys I do the lifting.

We recently (last weekend) made a Costco run and this weekend I'm going to be finishing up the last of the storage by mylar bagging the flour we won't be using right away. I'll probably put it in a tub or pail not sure depends on how bulky it is when I'm done repackaging it.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts