Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't live in the city, but used to live in the city of Phoenix. Made great money, and spent it to live as fast as it came in . Since I was already prepping and part of a group, we decided to make a viable bug out plan. We all had 4x4's and good ones at that. Not the newer suv junk but older ones like Toyota FJ-40's etc. We decided that there was no way we could ever get out on any of the restricting freeways. Not as bad as some cities, but bad none the less. So, my best friend while over at my house one day , noticed the high tension wires on the big steel Towers which were bringing in power to the city. Hmmm, we wondered if it were possible to traverse the access dirt roads up the mountain where I now live. Mike and I in our 2 four wheelers, loaded up our bug out packs, and a few tools, The tools, were shovels, a pick, axe, 2 chain saws, oil and mixed gas, maps, extra flashlights and bolt cutters.

It took two days to re-blaze the utility access road, but finally made it. Would an average car make it , sure for about 1/2 mile, but not possible to go any further. We had to back fill washed out areas, move boulders, "alter" gates and fences, and literally rebuild road here and there. Not for the faint at heart, but after two long back breaking days, we made it up here. Keep in mind we had to climb over 5,000 feet to achieve this, but we new we would make it. We would be up here to our newly purchased property long before the masses if ever even gave it a thought. My house in the valley was about 1 mile from the lines, and on a clear morning could see them . I lived on the very northern area , just a block out of the city limits, so we already had a head start on getting out Our plan was for everyone in our group , upon making the decision to bail , would all meet up at my house and go as a group from there. Once notified by cb you had about 2 hours to get to my place or you would be on your own.

Now, mike not being a nice guy, was planning on making the existing trail/road non passable behind us, which is to say a lot of people would think to do the same things. We had no desire to create a landing strip for the mobs of people that would sooner or later figure out this plan. Hopefully there were not to many other people that had already thought about it. But we were the first there to make the trip. The gates and fences alone would have stopped most people, then the incredibly bad dirt trails would finish off all but a few real off road people.

Now, if you live in a very large city as most do, you may want to really start working on a get out of dodge plan as we did. But remember, we also had a target or end game in mind. A destination to end up to . Not just wandering around in the woods or desert hoping to find salvation. This is not where you want to be, but alas, I think wandering around is where most people will end up doing, until they die that is. Form a plan , work it in real time, and you have a much better chance at actually surviving the over all bad picture Finding a dead road now, gives you time to find an alternate path, or to fix it ahead of time. At the last minute, it leaves you stranded, and you probably won't be able to find a working gas station to refill you gas tank

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My objective here on this site and forum is to try and make everyone understand that preparation is the key. The key to prepping is to formulate a plan, revise it as nec. and stick to it. Avoid the panic at the last moment. Have everyone included in the plan, make sure they understand it and stick to it.

For instance, if you and your spouse both work, try to work out a meeting place that you are both somewhat comfortable with. Got kids, are they in school? then make a plan to pick them up on your way home. Once you have your plan, you will sleep far better at night. Besides, once you have made your plan, you now can make sure it will work for you. Your odds on surviving increase at each step of the way. One other thing very necessary if your going to do the bug out thing, is maps. Do NOT count on gps, as it most likely would not work in a real emergency. Once you have maps, learn how to read them. Many people now a days do not

·
Registered
24,305 Posts
I see you are now in N.E. Arizona. Around Flagstaff?
Loved that area when I was a truck driver for a few years. Beautiful country.
You also have experience in the desert of Arizona.

Got tips on these two regions? What plants are good for foraging in these two regions? What animals are good to hunt should someone need a meal if stranded during a sudden bad turn of events?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually , I live close to Sholow. I am not very far from the New Mexico state line. Private little valley in the trees. Well, sorta trees. Better then the cactus down in the valley anyway. Game around here. Antelope, Elk, Deer, Mtn Lion, Badgers, Bears, and lots of rabbits

1 - 5 of 5 Posts