Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I broke into a car today. My stepsons car that is. He locked his keys in there and didn't have a spare. I went to autozone and got one of those slim jims. They are about $8 bucks and look like something made out of shop class. They have a T hook at the bottom and are about 3 foot long. I'm telling you, it saved me $75 bucks from a locksmith.

The skinny. Learn how to use these before you need them. Youtube out "car lock slim jim" and there are a lot of videos how to do this. It took me about 30 minutes to do, but when I had the technique down, it would have took me about 1 minute. Things to note that the directions don't tell you. Bend the slimjim "inwards towards the car". When they are shipped, they are straight, but the door arm is more inwards of cars. Also, make sure that you use this only on cars/trucks that have the locks where they pop up where you can see them. Newer cars that lock from the door handle don't work with this. Also, be careful not to ruin by swiping back and fourth inside the door because you can cut some wires (which I didn't, but knew they were there) for power locks, windows, radio etc. You might also want to wear gloves because the metal slim jim is rough around the edges where it has been cut. Be careful because some cars have antitheft for this device (A cover). You need to put it in about 15 1/2 inches down and wiggle it until you see the top knob lock wiggling, then hook it and pull up on the handle at the same time.

Note, this is for learning purposes only, and in no way am I a theft, never have been, never will. My lesson here as well as other lessons in the public domain is for emergencies (baby accidently locked in the car, or your in a remote place with no phone around). These slim jims are available at any auto place also.

Main point of this lesson is to have a spare key with you at all times. They make these little magnetic holders that you can attach to the bottom of your car. Also, if you want, you can get some zip ties and tie this slim jim under your car frame. Make sure that its tight enough where it doesn't come off and cause a flat tire or something.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
We had kids making slim jims in metal shop when I was in high school. Most of them have graduated to prison. Here where I live, if you or I were found in possession of one, they have the option of arresting and charging you with Possession of Burglar Tools. But I've seen people get arrested for that with a screwdriver in their back pocket after dark with no real reason why it was there. It's a pretty broad statute. Most of the cops around here, with a sufficient, reasonable and believable explanation as to why you had it (and you didn't have the tell tale signs of being an active meth head), would simply tell you to carry on, leave it at home, call AAA or, do it for you, and be on there way. It's the less reasonable ones that I worry about and statistically, for me, are the ones I would run into. But our city police here are pretty consistent and very cool.

·
Banned
62 Posts
Not exactly "picking a lock", but useful info. Of course, for shtf, breaking out a window is an option, rather swiftly and silently if you know how. :)

·
Banned
62 Posts
forget about 4 wheeles to your retreat area.

the streets and roads will be full of stalled, shot up vehicles and desperate, armed people. 2 wheels, at night, with NVD goggles, is all that's feasible. I plan to just hike to the spiderhole, it's only 10 miles away, at the local water source's wooded area. I can live there with 20 other people in the same square mile, and they will never know of my presence, cause I will never emerge frojm the dugout in daylight, nor leave a track anywhere near it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts