Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wanting to know what others are doing to train and prep themselves when it's comes to hand to hand or defense against a weapon. What fighting styles are more popular? How often is anyone training in hand to hand? And methods of your conditioning.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I personally believe most people would do better using the time to get their weight down and getting into shape before they consider hand to hand training. Most people who take some type of martial art or hand to hand combat training only take enough to give them a false sense of security. But yes if you are in good shape and have the time go ahead and take it. Just remember any one that is attacking you will probably be armed it is best to not trust anyone you don't know and keep at a distance and if the SHTF don't go out unarmed and preferably with other that are armed. I remember watching one show where a man was training his 10 year old daughter in self defense, where he should teach her to run, scream, scratch, throw things, anything to get away not have her have some false sense that she can fight off a man 3 times her weight.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
If you need hand to hand or a knife you already messed up and let them get to close.
You get in that kind of a fight you already lost.
Good physical condition at any age is a plus the better shape you in the longer you can run that few extra yards you can keep moving may save your life.
PT everyday for life.

·
Registered
496 Posts
If you need hand to hand or a knife you already messed up and let them get to close. You get in that kind of a fight you already lost.
So true. I'm just to old to but up with the bull of hand to hand combat. I've said too much already.

·
Registered
193 Posts
In self defense, distance is your friend. First layer, a nice bolt action rifle. Second layer, medium distance rifle. Third a handgun. In SHTF senario I ain't lookin' for trouble, I will avoid it at all costs.jmho

·
Registered
365 Posts
I believe physical fitness is necessary for hands on encounters.
It is naive to think that a firearm is ideal in all situations. In any narrow, close proximity situation, it can be easy for an assailant to get the jump on you.
Actually pay attention to how often you are at arms length with people you don't know on any given day, you may be surprised. Also consider the 21 rule (rule of 21, 21' rule, or whatever your trainer called it). You know that a firearm is very hard to employ at that range.
Many studios have adopted multiple martial art forms. My local dojo went from only teaching kajukenbo to teaching MMA, Brazilian jiu jitsu, and other small programs (kid safe, knife skills, etc).
Martial arts studios are a great way to get exercise and learn skills.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have over 27 years martial arts experience and have been teaching self defense for about 24 of those years. One of the worst weapons you can pick up for defense is a knife. It is one of the most difficult weapons to use. I have seen more people get hurt trying to defend themselves with a knife. Why? in order to use it, you need to be very close to your attacker, and that is something most people cannot handle. Pick up a broomstick and keep your distance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A lot of responses to your question have answered use your handgun to end it...pretty good answer, most of the time...and I respect those answers...but there are exceptions...as for the fact that a knife will beat a gun at close range...look up the 21 foot rule where knife attack trumps a gun before handgunner can draw his gun from holster and fire into attacker...then also the fact that you may not be able to access gun and/or may be reloading when attack occurs, as well as other possibilities...so some kind of hand to hand training just makes sense and will also result in at least a minimal amount of fitness and will keep your quickness/ reflexes honed and keep you mentally sharp and thinking quickly...so here are some of my thoughts...

I may be the exception here as I have trained in over 3 dozen arts & combative systems for 40+ years and been teaching a half dozen of them for 25+years...have done all the hard styles(Japanese, Korean) but focus mostly on quicker styles now that don't rely on power, but instead rely on quickness and reflex training...such as Wing Chun Kung Fu, JKD(Bruce Lee's system), Filipino knife and stick fighting, Indonesian systems, and also use Krav Maga, Thai boxing, and such...I feel these arts will train you better for situations/scenarios that will require quick action and quick thinking...
For survival preppers, I would recommend to focus on striking... low kicks, punches, forearm strikes especially to opponent's neck, basic standing grappling, basic groundwork to survive and then get up off ground as quickly as possible(don't get hung up on MMA you see on TV)...learn some offensive and defensive knife and stick work...those are the modern day weapons...no one carries samurai swords any more...
Learn some basic boxing if you can ...stay away from high kicks...only good for conditioning and Hollywood...
Study any Filipino art that you can...should help you tremendously in your training, depending on the instructor...
Krav Maga is Israeli, but comprised of techniques pulled from many different systems...main focus is to train for different types of attacks on street or battlefield...pretty direct and to the point as to dealing with an opponent...no sparring or rules...mostly focuses on serious attacks and serious counter measures...
Hope this helps any one with questions about this type of training and preparedness...let me know if you have more questions...will try to respond

·
Registered
239 Posts
before anyone thinks of hand to hand combat we all need to practise situational awareness, who is about and what their intensions are, body language, I lived in a city for 43 years and I wouldn't have survived in some of the less savoury areas if I hadn't been aware of what was going on around me. these days I see people head down ears glued to their mobile devise or whatever, walking across roads in the path of cars oblivious to what is going on around them.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts