Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi friends,

Currently, people are paying a lot of attention on fashion, especially in the dressing and adorning of the hair. In fact, there are many factors lead to this phenomenon.
Firstly, media plays a key role in influencing people's opinions. More and more media attention is paid to clothing, foot wear and accessories. Another important factor is more likely the modern lifestyles of human beings. In the past, most clothing was custom made.
Overall, I think that people following fashion is a good trend. It shows their thinking is modern and flexible.

Is it a positive or negative trend?

·
Administrator
14,858 Posts
I wear work boots, overalls and a baseball cap. I get a haircut every month or so and get it cut high and tight to get the most for my hard earned dollar.
I'm at the age and stage where I'm not chasing women anymore, and as long as I'm neat and clean I don't really give a darn if I'm fashionable or not.
Like the country song says "I don't highlight my hair, I've still got a pair, thank God I'm still a man." And yes, there's a gun in my truck. :lol:

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
My hair is long - about 24 inches long. At first glance some might peg me as an old hippy.
Nothing could be farther from the truth. I started growing my hair in my late thirties. when it was about eighteen inches long (that only took about a year) I would have it cut and donated to "Locks of Love". They are a group that make real hair wigs for folks who are fighting cancer. In 2001 I got mrried to my second wife, long hair and all. After our honeymoon we both got our hair cut and donated it to "Locks of Love". About a week after that she told me that she preferred my hair long, so it has been long since then. Its all gray now and "Locks of Love" would not use it directly but sell it to help fund the program. I think that keeping it long (regardless the added work) is the least I can do for my wife.

As for me being a "hippy", well lets just say that I have a "cowboy" attitude. I am mellow, don't go looking for trouble, but if trouble comes I won't run from it. Love is a wonderful thing but it comes with trust. I trust in degrees as I get to know a person. I love easily and unconditionally which means I will accept you as you are in any given moment but I will not tollerate abuse of any kind toward me, those I love, or innocents. I am a problem solver which means that when I see a problem I come up with solutions and then choose the one that fits best.

Reactions: longrider

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I don't know when it happened for sure, but it seems I could give a crap less about the current fashion styles. I'm old and set in my ways I guess.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Nothing wrong with being Fashionable at all, we are all still living and it's just another way to Enjoy life. It can't be Doom and Gloom all the time. being Prepared is important but so is enjoying life, it's what makes life worth living.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I cut my own hair 2-3 times a week and it is high and tight. Skin tight.. I have been for years and have it down to an art form now. As for fashion I couldn't give a hoot what brand I wear. i prefer Wrangler jean because they last so damn long but they are some of the cheapest on the market. I usually wear a white hanes t shirt when it is warmer out. Now that we are in Montana you learn to dress for warmth instead of fashion. That is for sure.

I hate seeing people look down on others because they are not wearing $1200 shoes and $250 jeans. As far as I'm concerned, I would never spend that kind of money on clothes. I don't care how much money I had...It is just a keeping up with the Jones' thing and that is something I am not going to do.. If they don't like my clothes, they can kiss my shiny white butt!!!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Personally, I like to shop at the thrift stores. It's cheap, still in good shape and even have some colors I like. I'm a dress-for-comfort kind of woman.

As PrepConsultant says, I dress for warmth in winter, not fashion. When I couldn't afford fashion, I still didn't care. Now I can afford it, and will use my money in better areas. But like was also said, if it makes you feel good, go ahead. BUT. If you going to spend $1,000.00 on a gucci bag or something like that, stop and think how many school bags you could fill, or how many chickens you could purchase for a poor family with very little. Or how you could have helped a military family struggling, while their loved one is away. I just couldn't justify it to myself, but that's just me. And hey, everyone deserves a little desert sometimes.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..My hair is long - about 24 inches long. At first glance some might peg me as an old hippy...
This sad freak is me in 1981, still got the hair and beard but they've turned a snowy white and I look like Santa Claus

PS- As regards clothing fashion, I like stuff with a military look, here's a picture I just took of me in the latest addition to my wardrobe, an ex-Austrian army camo smock (30 GBpounds/45 USdollars); it's heavy fabric almost like a greatcoat and will give good protection against thorns when moving through bushes.
I envisage prowling around a post-apoc world in it with the hood up looking supernaturally sinister, the black balaclava adds to the mystique and i can just imagine zombs and mutants running from me in fear shrieking "Aiieee! it is he with no face!" as i stalk them by moonlight.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
My hair gets cut when it starts getting in my eyes. If I could fit into men's clothes better I would wear more of them - they are made so much better than women's clothes. I usually buy men's work and winter gloves. I think clothes for women are made cheaply so that the fly by night fashion trends can be followed. And like everything else made in the past forty years - cheaply made means it has to be replaced sooner = more profit for the seller.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I have never been a fashion slut.
When I was young and had to work to buy my clothes, I wore Levi's and didn't care what others thought.
Now that I am older, and can afford what I want, I wear jeans and don't care what others think

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Our parents had an influence on what we wore when we were kids, I HATED the heavy black leather shoes they made me wear, and I LOATHED the little grey suit they made me wear to relatives weddings.
It seemed as if my parents were obsessed with "putting on a show" all the time for the outside world.
"You can't go out looking like that without combing your hair!" my mother used to say to me, "it's sticking up on top like a cockatoo!"
Even today half a century later i find myself looking out the corner of my eye at my reflection in shop windows as I walk by to see if it's still sticking up..

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
As for women, I don't mind the casual jeans/teeshirt/trainers look providing they don't look like that all the time.
For example June used to turn up on all our dates looking frumpy and mumsy in a victorian dress, colourless cardigan and horrible flat sandals, and when I suggested she might wear a nice dress and stylish heels sometime she hit the roof with "I'm not going to look like a trollop for you or anybody else" .
We soon drifted apart.
I believe our clothes/shoes/appearance are a great indicator of what our personality is like, ie dull boring clothes= dull boring person.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Spam spreader - and not the kind that comes in a can.

Again, might be wrong. Don't click on the link!

I'll report this one too - hopefully the admins or Leon will tell us if these are spam bots....

·
Administrator
14,858 Posts
Why all of a sudden did it turn all ***** on Preppers Forums?
Maybe it's really one of the admins or moderators just having fun with us.:lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts