Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were taking a tractor and baler to another hay field today that is about 35 miles away. Well, we were about 5 miles away and started seeing some cows (about 150 head) outside the pasture they are supposed to be in. We started looking for where the fence was down and low and behold we seen it was cut. It just so happened there were 3 sets of 4 wheeler tracks going in so we followed them. We came across three tree stands set up near 3 separate watering holes. Bow season opens for elk next week and I guess someone thinks they can just cut FOUR fences and put up tree stands whereever they want..

That was bad enough. Then we come across a cow that had an arrow in her. She was on her side and looked like she was dead. My friend that owns the ranch walked over to her to take the arrow out because when they come back, whoever has those arrows is the one that did it. So he reaches down and grabbed the arrow and she went ballistic! It was about 100 yds to the truck and she rolled him up a few times before he was able to get there. Busted his glasses and I think broke a few ribs but seems to be ok..

All they had to do was ask and he would let em hunt.. Now it is going to get ugly because we will be there opening morning waiting for them..

·
Registered
904 Posts
As much as I would like to be there with you to tie them up with barbed wire when/if they arrive, I would advise not taking the law into your own hands. Detain them using whatever force is reasonable until the local law enforcement can arrive. I hope they do a long time in custody, lose their hunting rights, and have to pay for the cow, the cowboy's injuries, and the fence.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wow, I just don't understand how other people can feel so entitled, and like they deserve everything. People thinking there's no consequences, like they can do whatever they want. I really hope they have to pay for the damages done to the fences, that cow, and your friend. Plus lose their hunting rights.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He wanted to burn the tree stands but I told him it would be arson. Even though it is his property.. I think we should requisition them!! Then wait till opening day of season and they will have to park the 4 wheelers a mile or so from where they will be hunting and then......

·
Registered
277 Posts
Because of people like who ever did this, they ruin it for everyone. More and more property owners don't want hunters on their property and idiots who do things like this just make it worse. Boils down to simple respect for others, these perps obviously don't have any.

I don't understand people who kill things just to kill them. If your not going to eat it, why kill it? Then these guys just left it to suffer. I don't get it.

I hope your friend makes a full recovery and with his injuries/recovery, he has help to take care of the many daily chores a ranch needs.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Technically, people are 99% comprised of oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium and phosphorus. But I see what you're saying. :grin:

I don't know what the laws are in Montana, but I know cutting fences and killing livestock is a pretty big deal. I would get a feel for your sheriff/prosecutors "views" before doling out any range justice before you turn them over, or even try to take them yourselves. But I personally wouldn't be above burying a whole bunch of boards with 16 Penny nails in them where those tracks are. And a trail camera or two. A couple of big ass quads with four flat tires would be a real mother fooker to push back to the truck and load up. But yeah, that's bullshit.

Several years ago we had a family move into the neighborhood. Low income. Mama had 4 kids with 6 different daddies and was currently shacked up with a gang banger. The one son (who's daddy was in prison), was his own miniature crime wave. 11 years old, no supervision, came and went as he pleased. Well, all of my kids bikes came up missing over a period of time. Which was their own damn fault because they never put them away, but it was the principle of it that someone came into my yard and stole them.

A couple weeks later, I saw this turd on one of the bikes and he took off on me. Ran like the wind. I lost him, IN MY CAR. Shortly after that, I found out where he lived. A couple of days later, the last bike was gone, BUT, a bike had been left behind. Another neighbor kid saw him on our bike and said the bike left behind was this kids. So I called the cops, they got the bike back, I left the other one sit where it was. On the bus the next day, this kid gave my kids a bunch of crap because "their dad was a snitch" and a few other unpleasant statements. He finished with telling them that he was coming to get his bike. No problem.

Insert SAWZALL. I cut that bike into 15 pieces and destroyed every single usable piece that I could envision remotely being salvaged. Brake cables, tires, rims, spokes, chain, seat, brake levers...all of it. And I left it in a nice, condensed pile in the alley right on the edge of my lawn. You want it you little bastard, come and get it. It's all yours...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure he will be ok. We just went to check on him and bring some eggs we got from the chicken coop. He is hurtin for certain.. He can hardly sit,stand or lay down. It is obvious he has broken ribs and is havin a hard time catchin his breath still. He is not coughin up blood or anything so I don't think he has a punctured lung. He refuses to got o the doc cause they don't do much for broken ribs anymore but give pain meds and he is already hittin the whisky.

I was wrong, there are 5 fences cut. Guess who gets to fix them 5 fences now?? Yup, I will be out there at daylight in the mornin fixin their mess!! My wheels are already turnin on how to fix them bastards too.. Don't worry government man, it will be legal.. Maybe... They are some nice new tree stands too..

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Technically, people are 99% comprised of oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium and phosphorus. But I see what you're saying. :grin:

I don't know what the laws are in Montana, but I know cutting fences and killing livestock is a pretty big deal. I would get a feel for your sheriff/prosecutors "views" before doling out any range justice before you turn them over, or even try to take them yourselves. But I personally wouldn't be above burying a whole bunch of boards with 16 Penny nails in them where those tracks are. And a trail camera or two. A couple of big ass quads with four flat tires would be a real mother fooker to push back to the truck and load up. But yeah, that's bullshit.

Several years ago we had a family move into the neighborhood. Low income. Mama had 4 kids with 6 different daddies and was currently shacked up with a gang banger. The one son (who's daddy was in prison), was his own miniature crime wave. 11 years old, no supervision, came and went as he pleased. Well, all of my kids bikes came up missing over a period of time. Which was their own damn fault because they never put them away, but it was the principle of it that someone came into my yard and stole them.

A couple weeks later, I saw this turd on one of the bikes and he took off on me. Ran like the wind. I lost him, IN MY CAR. Shortly after that, I found out where he lived. A couple of days later, the last bike was gone, BUT, a bike had been left behind. Another neighbor kid saw him on our bike and said the bike left behind was this kids. So I called the cops, they got the bike back, I left the other one sit where it was. On the bus the next day, this kid gave my kids a bunch of crap because "their dad was a snitch" and a few other unpleasant statements. He finished with telling them that he was coming to get his bike. No problem.

Insert SAWZALL. I cut that bike into 15 pieces and destroyed every single usable piece that I could envision remotely being salvaged. Brake cables, tires, rims, spokes, chain, seat, brake levers...all of it. And I left it in a nice, condensed pile in the alley right on the edge of my lawn. You want it you little bastard, come and get it. It's all yours...
Well, the judge and sheriff are related to my friend so that is a good thing.. I already planned on the nails in the boards (seems like we think alike a lot). Going to have to take care of the truck too. They will have to park it 4-5 miles away at least.. I can always get some natives come take it and scrap it out.. These guys are probably from out of town from someplace like Billings or Great Falls. So it will be a long trip home. I will take the tree stands and use em ourselves. We always have people coming to hunt.. I'm sure they will put em to good use.. Could always take the 4 wheelers and stash them for a month or two then paint em and use em here..lol

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Well, the judge and sheriff are related to my friend so that is a good thing.. I already planned on the nails in the boards (seems like we think alike a lot). Going to have to take care of the truck too. They will have to park it 4-5 miles away at least.. I can always get some natives come take it and scrap it out.. These guys are probably from out of town from someplace like Billings or Great Falls. So it will be a long trip home. I will take the tree stands and use em ourselves. We always have people coming to hunt.. I'm sure they will put em to good use.. Could always take the 4 wheelers and stash them for a month or two then paint em and use em here..lol
Why don't you just wait until they are all nicely ensconced in their tree stands, then bring a couple of your biggest meanest bulls and put them in that pasture? Maybe throw a couple rocks at the bulls as you pasture them, just to make sure they are good and pissed-off. Of course, I would also hang out and watch a bit out of sight in case they decide to take a shot at your bulls. If they do, then I suspect you have every right to take a shot at them. If they like to play with bovine, then by all means give 'em bovine to play with.

I do not know if bulls can see safety orange, but wouldn't that be sweet if they can? ;-) They would be like human bull fighters capes!

Only AFTER they are up in the tree stands do you need to lay out the boards with the nails.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
guys like this gives all hunters and trail riders a bad name.
Yes they do.. I remember in high school we would try to get permission to hunt back home (Okeechobee,Fl) and it was hard because people would go out and trash ranchers property.. We were lucky enough to get permission to hunt a few ranches and I still those same ranches today because we always took care of the property. We would pick up other peoples trash and even fix fences while we were out there. It's like we were unpaid ranch hands.lol But we always had excellent hunting land to use. Then those ranchers would tell others and now there are very few places in the area we can't hunt.. I haven't hunted public lands since my freshman year of high school... After the stories and news I hear about people getting shot all the time on public lands I am very glad..

If people would just treat land with respect, they would get so much farther...

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Terrible actions by some asshats, And I understand your frustration, but cool off a little, please reconsider any permanant damage other than flat tires..I know, sounds soft, but two wrongs dont make anything right, and it could escalate into a shooting match..Some one dieing is not worth it..
Now with that being said, hell yes, I would comandeer their stands, and be there when they decide to show up, inform them that their actions led to a person being hurt, obviosly one of them will have to pay for the cow, but their stands just paid you back a little for the time you have to repair fences. Have the law there, no treestands, and have them cited for destruction of property, tresspapss, and cruelty to animals, and the value of the cow.
My uncle would allow dang near anyone who asked to deer hunt his awesome property. With two rules, #1 DO NOT shoot my damn cows.
Rule #2 If you accidently or somehow mistakenly shoot one of my cows, come to the house and tell me.
We caught many tresspassers, and he would normally drive up in his old scout and inform them that they had crossed a fence onto his land, and to return to exactly wherever they came over the fence or gate and vamoose.
We lived so far out in the country nobody argued with him..
Sorry about your friend, and the poor cow, glad no others got hit along the road..

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Atta' Boy PC. Natives could take that truck and turn it into one fine Reserghini. I've seen it done. Hell, let 'em keep the quads too. That will GUARANTEE a long walk home for the knuckle-heads that did this. Personally, I'd wait for them to get into their stand, find a friend who plays the banjo, tell 'em they got perty mouths and start yellin' "Squeal like a pig boys!". I mean shit, if the sheriff and judge are relatives, might as well have a little fun with them.

Cap Hat Headgear Smile Military camouflage

Attachments

Reactions: Inor

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Atta' Boy PC. Natives could take that truck and turn it into one fine Reserghini. I've seen it done. Hell, let 'em keep the quads too. That will GUARANTEE a long walk home for the knuckle-heads that did this. Personally, I'd wait for them to get into their stand, find a friend who plays the banjo, tell 'em they got perty mouths and start yellin' "Squeal like a pig boys!". I mean shit, if the sheriff and judge are relatives, might as well have a little fun with them.

View attachment 2506
Very true! I have seen the Natives do some serious work to abandoned vehicles.. Here, the Res is like the ghetto, you don't leave cars unattended for long or they will take what they want and burn em to the ground!! I have seen it.. We let a bunch of em hunt here and they would bend over backwards to help out..

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is just typical people BS. I had a calf that liked to go thru the fence and go onto my field across the street. Dad called and said it go hit by a truck and was down. When I got home found it had been shot thru the back of the neck by some deer hunter.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
When a hunter trespasses on private property their guns, bows, and vehicles are all liable to confiscation - at least as I understand it. If they damage or steal property they are burglars and if they are armed they are robbers. That is a felony and in my state you can use deadly force to stop a felony.

Having said that, I would approach them get their identification and hunting licenses, take their gear and send them on their way telling them that they could contact the sheriff to get their stuff back. I would also have my brother and son under cover for my protection.

Reactions: longrider
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.