Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Tony and yep, I am one of those dreaded newbie preppers. I personally do not like the term prepper. I see this as a personal duty to do what is prudent. I have been in a real life SHTF scenario. I survived Hurricane Ivan.... barely.

When it hit I decided to stay with my parents in their brand new custom built home that exceeded the building code standards for hurricanes. I thought we were safe and had prepared ahead of the stotm like we have always been told by the authorities to do. We have had hurricanes before and were fine.

Little did we know how close to water the house really was. We knew it was close (estimated 1 mile) wrong. We were within 1/2 mile. During the storm, we were lucky. No real damage, but a tornadoe destroyed most of the subdivision. The storm surge had stopped its destruction at our back fence... literally. All the houses and debris were piled up at our back door.the rest of the city looked like a nuclear bomb went off... seriously. Roofs gone on about 80% of tbe city. Roads were washed out all over. Six people in our neighborhood died mostly from the storm surge, the rest due to the tornadoes collapsing houses.. No power, the municipal water supply was contaminated and most gas stations DESTROYED. The aftermath was BAD. We were without power for three weeks and without water for 4 weeks. After 5 days, we ran out of food and water and gas. It was more comfortable to sleep outside in the open due to the heat. Had to wait in lines starting at 5am to receive our rations of water at noon (2 gallon limit). Then you had to wait in another line for a two day ration of MREs. Not having essentials is miserable and what is worse is depending on homeland security for you survival.

This is the moment I decided next time, I will evacuate.

Well, that was 10 years ago. I recently started to prepare for basically anything. I am trying to do this smarter than just buying bottled water and thinking reserving a hotel room in Birmingham is going to be considered a plan.

I read constantly and research a lot. I hope joining this community will help me get over the self deprecating thoughts I have concerning excessive prepping. I look forward to sharing ideas and trying to convince others that we are not all crazy and want to star in Doomsday Preppers (which i personally hope they cancel soon).

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
WELL< let be finally be the first to welcome you. Glad you decided to join in.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hiyas and Welcome!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Inceptor.... yep I do understand that lol. Thats why I am here and not on Expedia. I want to be prepared for basically anything. I don't want to have to wait in a FEMA line or sit there wishing I had gun when thd looters set out on their shopping spree.

As for doomsday preppers, I think they were cashing in on the doomsday 2012 hysteria. And yes it is scripted like most reality shows. The one that gets me the most id that Doomsday Castle. I dont think it is just scripted, but i am almost convinced i have seen some of his children on other shows, especially the oldest son. I watched one episode and was done.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Glad to be here.

Just FYI... I am using my Kindle Fire to write on here so capitalization and puncuation and some spelling errors are to be expected. They need to invent a brain integrated kindle keyboard, this on screen thing sucks.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Welcome from cold rainy (soon to be snowy) Minnesota. Pensacola is a nice area - visited once when Inor was there teaching.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Another hello from Minnesota.

You are right to be afraid of hurricanes. I was in Miami when Wilma went through. That scared the crap out of me even though it was only a #3 hurricane. It was kind of funny though... After the hurricane, with no power and no water at the hotel, I did get to know some of the other guests pretty well. There was a black Baptist minister, his wife and five kids staying there. They were down for a wedding or something. The only restaurant that was still doing business within about a 3 mile radius was a strip club about 6 blocks away. So every evening after I got back from my client, I would give his kids my fully recharged laptop so they could watch their DVD cartoons and the minister and I would head down to the strip club to pick up burgers and fries for all of us.

Once Mrs Inor called me while we were standing in line waiting for the strippers to cook our burgers. The conversation went something like this:

Mrs Inor: Where are you?

Me: At the strip club. Rev. <I do not recall his name> and I are getting some burgers.

Mrs Inor: That's good. Make sure you tip them well.

Me: Uh huh... :-|

Reactions: longrider

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Welcome from the South East (SC).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Inor.... funny story. Thats what makes life interesting .... the cumulation of stories like that.

What kinda of teaching do you do?

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
@Inor.... funny story. Thats what makes life interesting .... the cumulation of stories like that.

What kinda of teaching do you do?
Software development. I write books and fly around North America teaching corporate programmers the latest and greatest. Just last week, I was in Toronto teaching a class for a company called CGI. - Yes, those are the same CGI people that attempted to write the Heathcare.gov site. What was I teaching them you ask? "Intro to Web Development" - I am not making this up! :)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum and glad to have you here with us. No worries about being the dreaded newbie, heck we were all once there. Some of us just had a come to Jesus moment a lot earlier than you but then some of us have a few more laps around the block so to speak too, so it stands to reason. The important thing is your here to learn and your up to the challenge of taking responsibility for yourself. I have said it before and will say it again, no one is gonna take better care of Big#1 than you will. That being said I hope to see you around and see you often!

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
I've a dear friend in West Pensacola & have been working for a year to get her prepared. But have to use words like "extended pantry" with her.

Pensacola gets 60" of rainfall per year. So give serious consideration to a rain catch & storage system. You will also need a good water filter system to make that water drinkable.

·
Administrator
15,103 Posts
Just FYI... I am using my Kindle Fire to write on here so capitalization and puncuation and some spelling errors are to be expected. They need to invent a brain integrated kindle keyboard, this on screen thing sucks.
Welcome from Northeast Florida, Tony.
Here's an FYI back at ya. Here on the forum we have one or two spelling/grammar nazis. Just ingnore them, or make fun of them, we do.:mrgreen:
I've been riding out hurricanes for over 50 years now. That's why when we moved the last time we made our homestead 40 miles inland.;-)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts