Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided I wanted a water feature on my patio for when I wanted to sit out and relax. Well it went from a water feature to water plants and then I decided to go all in and add fish.

My patio area is very small so my pond was going to have to be small as well. It's on the patio so it needed to be above ground. So I went with a box inside a box idea I came up with. I was going to build a box and line it with a pond liner, then build another box to cover the inside box. I lucked into a free 20 gallon fish tank so I took the easy way out and used it as the inside box.

unnamed.jpg

A pump runs up through the vase and cascades the water back into the pond oxygenating the water. Would've liked to go bigger but space wouldn't permit it.

unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (4).jpg

Hard to get a pic of the fish but I've got 4 small Koi and an algae eater in the pond. They're not much but if SHTF I suppose they could become a snack, plus I know have another 20 gallons of water.

unnamed (2).jpg

I think the fish cost me more than the entire project.

·
Registered
11,811 Posts
Great idea. I enjoy the sound of running water.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
cool project , looks great , well done .

Reactions: Sasquatch

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
Nicely done

Reactions: Sasquatch

·
Super Moderator
9,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep an eye on those koi, Sas. They get pretty big. Underfeed rather than overfeed. The rule is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water.

Is there filtration of any kind in that tank?
My dad has a large koi pond so if they get too big he gets them.

All I have is the pump recirculating the water and live plants. From what I've read that should make it it's own little ecosystem. This is very much a learning process for me though.

Sent from Tapatalk (aka Uranus, not to be confused with the Anus' at Survivalist Board)

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
...All I have is the pump recirculating the water and live plants. From what I've read that should make it it's own little ecosystem. This is very much a learning process for me though...
Well, there's no need to keep the sides clean to see through, so with all that surface area combined with the plant roots, you may get enough bacterial growth to convert the fishes waste products (ammonia) to nitrate, which the plants will then absorb. You will still have to change 1/3 to 1/2 of the water every month I bet, or it will start to smell bad.

I have no doubt the koi will live. They're hardy. We had a 40,000 gallon, half-burried abandoned asphalt tank at the plant, that filled with runoff water from the parking lot. Somebody threw some goldfish in there, and they lived for years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts