Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I have a prepper since about 2017. I have been stocking up a little more for this winter and going through current supplies. I noticed that the pasta I had put in plastic bags (and also put in another hard plastic container) had gotten infiltrated with pantry moths. First time I have had this particular issue with pasta. I was wondering if adding food-grade diatomecous earth to the pasta bucket would help to kill/eliminate the critters. Pasta can be washed and then it is boiled, so I am going to try to salvage the pasta. But would like to control this problem now as much as I can. I have read that they are pretty tenacious once they are in the home.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,810 Posts
We keep ours in clean, new galvanized metal trash cans.

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
Don't worry about the moths, cook as usual. The moths will add a little extra protein. For what it's worth, I load up one gallon aluminized Mylar pouches with pasta. and add oxygen absorbers. No oxygen, no bugs.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Stop storing pasta for long term storage!!!!!! it is super easy to make pasta and requires 2 ingredients flour and eggs

If you do store pasta...make sure you smooth off the ends before you Mylar it so it does not poke holes in the bag (TIC)

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Well, my dear, growing up in Milwaukee about 25 years before the Brewers had a team, my mother and her sisters (my aunts) always got together to cook, make pasta and share "humorous jokes" in some bizarre attribute no one else could understand.

I do know they had this huge, perfectly smooth work area where pasta (replete with a few swigs of Frizecco Moscato) was readied and we kids got to nibble on the end slices. I especially like it when my aunts came to our house. My mother made cookies with enough chocolate slivers to dissuade our running off. Some very good memories...

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I have a prepper since about 2017. I have been stocking up a little more for this winter and going through current supplies. I noticed that the pasta I had put in plastic bags (and also put in another hard plastic container) had gotten infiltrated with pantry moths. First time I have had this particular issue with pasta. I was wondering if adding food-grade diatomecous earth to the pasta bucket would help to kill/eliminate the critters. Pasta can be washed and then it is boiled, so I am going to try to salvage the pasta. But would like to control this problem now as much as I can. I have read that they are pretty tenacious once they are in the home.

Thanks in advance!

It might help, but I throw in a few bay leaves and some dried herbs like oregano in the plastic container (which I bought at WalMart), where I have stocked my assortment of pasta.
I make sure I put some herbs on top - thinking that the smell of herbs would put off any bugs that may want to explore. The pasta are all still in their original packaging.
The herbs are supposed to deter bugs.

I do the same with re-packaged oats (and it works). I'm eating oats now that's dated 2016, and it still looks fresh, and taste like the new ones.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,810 Posts
Pasta keeps well on it's own in airtight containers. I've kept rice and pasta for six years without any problems. I'm not sure about plastic containers, though. Sometimes foods can take on the taste of the plastic if you're storing them long term.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
I've kept rice and pasta for six years.

Well, Annie, let me bring over my gumba cousins and you can watch your pasta vanish amid Sicilian joking. Your food won't even need to be cooked or even subtly warmed!

By the way, their goofy grin amid snickers of joshing in Italian are either compliments or marriage proposals. Look at it this way, they are supposed to be 'kin but even I don't know what most of them are implying...

·
Registered
964 Posts
Pasta keeps well on it's own in airtight containers. I've kept rice and pasta for six years without any problems. I'm not sure about plastic containers, though. Sometimes foods can take on the taste of the plastic if you're storing them long term.
I've re-packaged oats and put them in heavy-duty plastic freezer bags, with strip of paper towel to prevent moisture (double bagged, with herbs in between the bags.) I'm eating dated 2016 - I find no difference in taste and texture. It still looks fresh, too! No clumps.
It's like the new ones. As for the pasta, they're still in their original packagings.

WE hardly eat these pasta - though I love them so much. I suppose, they will be my "comfort food" during SHTF event. :)
Every now and then, I donate old pasta and replace them with new ones....just so to have stocks as fresh as possible if and when the SHTF comes about. It's my worry that we would end up with unpalatable (or worse, inedible) foods in that situation.

I'm sure glad about the longetivity and quality of the oats - they can be eaten without cooking,
and they're cheap to stock too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts