·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Farmington man enters no contest plea in residential burglaries
Michael Chavez allegedly used his business to gain access to houses
By Hannah Grover The Daily Times
Updated: 11/14/2013 09:45:55 PM MST

Michael Roger Chavez (Courtesy of the San Juan County Adult Detention Center)Related Stories
Apr 10:
•Man who Farmington police shot last month plans to file lawsuit
Apr 9:
•Attorney warned Farmington officer would 'get somebody shot and/or killed'
Mar 26:
•Man shot by police used his business to find burglary victims
Mar 23:
•New Mexico State Police ID suspect in Friday's shooting in Farmington
Mar 22:
•Farmington police shoot, injure suspect
FARMINGTON - A Farmington man who was shot earlier this year by a police officer accepted a plea bargain Thursday in various burglary cases unrelated to the shooting.

Michael Chavez, 42, entered a no contest plea in San Juan County District Court as part of the plea bargain. The 42-year-old man was shot in the foot and elbow while fleeing from a traffic stop in March.

On Feb. 26, Chavez broke into Brenda Romo's home in Flora Vista and damaged the property, according to court documents.

According to a March 26 Daily Times story, Romo's pit bull, Patron, likely attacked Chavez. The article reported Chavez is the co-owner of Gypsy Rose Landscaping.

He allegedly used his job to burglarize customers, and police suspected he was responsible for around 10 residential burglaries. The victims usually reported missing jewelry, video games, movies and toys.

Several of the victims spoke in court Thursday. Evelyn Young said she had a necklace that was made out of shells. She said her daughter made her the necklace when she was 12 years old, and its market value was around $7,000. Chavez allegedly stole this necklace, as well as other pieces of jewelry, from Young's house.

Another victim reported that she attended church with Chavez. She said she was in church when Chavez broke into her house.

Chavez's wife testified on his behalf. She said he had a difficult childhood and needs help. She also claimed the allegations against her husband are not true.

On Thursday, Chavez pleaded no contest on four charges of receiving stolen property and one of residential burglary in three separate cases.

Chavez was charged with receiving stolen property valued between $2,500 and $20,000, which he disposed of in January. In another case, he was charged with receiving more than $500 worth of stolen property, which he also disposed of in January. He was also charged with two counts of receiving and retaining stolen property, one which was more than $2,500 and the other was more than $500.

Chavez was also convicted of a prior felony involving armed robbery, three counts of aggravated assault, three counts of false imprisonment and receiving stolen property in 1997 in Santa Fe County.

As part of the plea agreement Chavez accepted Thursday, the state will not pursue the habitual offender enhancement, which would have increased his sentence. However, the plea agreement will not decrease his sentence.

Chavez faces up to 12 years, which will be served consecutively.

Hannah Grover covers news, arts and religion for The Daily Times. She can be reached at 505-564-4652 and [email protected]. Follow her @hmgrover on Twitter.

Print Email Font ResizeReturn to Top

Ok, that is on my facebook local newspaper feed, and while Im glad this POS scumbag is off the street, If it was an open and shut case, with plenty of evidence, why not throw the book at the bastard.
He is qualified for the habitual offender program for a reason BECOUSE HE IS A HABITUAL OFFENDER.
Dont't get me wrong, I believe in second chances, I did some seriously dumb stupid stuff that would make most of yall here think twice about me, but I was spared from the worst, and still alive.....
I was given a second chance, with some SERIOUS conditions, and I made it.
Sorry. Im still reeling and ranting from other posts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
They offered a plea deal to save the state money, time and effort. That unfortunately is how the system works, otherwise we the tax payers would be flipping a large bill to go to trial.

As for doing things that make us think twice about you.... no worries, we judgeyou on how you act now. We were all young and dumb once

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im just referring to giving sweet deals, and thanks techtony. I was a successful "first time offender", and had some serious fines, probation(supervised and unsupervised), community servie and was told if " I diidn't like it, there was always one alternative!"
I just feel that anyone can make a dumb choice/choices and be sorry, move on, and be a decent person. ON the other side of the coin, he was already found guilty of armed robbery and false imprisonment. Obviously a model career criminal.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
They offered a plea deal to save the state money, time and effort. That unfortunately is how the system works, otherwise we the tax payers would be flipping a large bill to go to trial.
No offense, but you're taking the blue pill. There are a number of open and shut cases that happily go to trial (Aurora?) and waste millions of taxpayer dollars simply so we can put the whole dog and pony show on TV. If we cared about wasting peoples money, we'd work harder to abolish idiotic defenses such as "by reason of insanity" which should offend anyone with an IQ above 10.

They're saving themselves time and effectively making more money by getting this case over with fast. This isn't going to make anyone's career and it's not going to make a paper beyond local. So they have no need to take it as far as a jury of his peers. Move on to the next one, get another paycheck. :)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
If this country was just and actually cared for it's citizens and I was judge, Chavez would have been walked down the hall to another room and promptly hung for the benefit of society being better off without that piece of shit. Come shtf, thieves, rapists, murderers, traitors, former politicians, liberal extremists and people who drink decaf, skim milk, lattes with twist are all going to be beaten and hung from near by trees. :mrgreen:

Plant People in nature Tree Gesture Wood

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
No offense, but you're taking the blue pill. There are a number of open and shut cases that happily go to trial (Aurora?) and waste millions of taxpayer dollars simply so we can put the whole dog and pony show on TV. If we cared about wasting peoples money, we'd work harder to abolish idiotic defenses such as "by reason of insanity" which should offend anyone with an IQ above 10.

They're saving themselves time and effectively making more money by getting this case over with fast. This isn't going to make anyone's career and it's not going to make a paper beyond local. So they have no need to take it as far as a jury of his peers. Move on to the next one, get another paycheck. :)
They go to trial because that is your right to be tried by a jury of you peers.

Insanity pleas are more for TV than anything because it is rarely successful, for example even Jeffery Dohmer was found competent to stand trial. Even the rare cases that a plea of insanity works, that person is confined to a mental health facility for the criminal insane for the rest of their life.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
How can a necklace made out of shells by a 12 year old be worth $7,000?
It's crazy what some people will pay for. Maybe they were rare shells. I wouldn't give someone a $100 bucks for a shell necklace, but whip out a complete TRW usgi parted, vintage, full-auto M1A from the 70's and now we're talking.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Insanity pleas are more for TV than anything because it is rarely successful, for example even Jeffery Dohmer was found competent to stand trial. Even the rare cases that a plea of insanity works, that person is confined to a mental health facility for the criminal insane for the rest of their life.
Exactly why I'm sick of hearing them being entered as a defense. There are less high profile cases where they have worked, and it's absolutely disgusting to think we would even waste time on such a farce. Using James Holmes as the example again, we all know the guy is a lunatic. That was obvious the minute he suited up. It's sad that we're so desperate for entertainment that we'll let him try and use that fact as a defense for his actions, when he should be locked away out of sight and fed dog food while we decide what to do with him.

I think you should understand this better than most here, even the military folk; people don't respect the law. They pee their pants and turn into little girls when caught but up to then and after they have no fear because there are so many loopholes in the system that even people on death row are churning out babies and getting married or divorced.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Exactly why I'm sick of hearing them being entered as a defense. There are less high profile cases where they have worked, and it's absolutely disgusting to think we would even waste time on such a farce. Using James Holmes as the example again, we all know the guy is a lunatic. That was obvious the minute he suited up. It's sad that we're so desperate for entertainment that we'll let him try and use that fact as a defense for his actions, when he should be locked away out of sight and fed dog food while we decide what to do with him.

I think you should understand this better than most here, even the military folk; people don't respect the law. They pee their pants and turn into little girls when caught but up to then and after they have no fear because there are so many loopholes in the system that even people on death row are churning out babies and getting married or divorced.
It is true that the system is so overwhelmed that the system has become a joke. We house more inmates than any other country and our system has become a revolving door because of the overwhelming cost.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
No matter how unfair and unjust people think our system of justice is..Its still the best system in the world and works..I do believe we have become soft as a nation when it comes to rape and murder...If a person is found guilty and all appeals standards have been met and their was no change then we need to execute murderers..and a rapist automatic 20years..But in both instances all efforts to find a person Innocent should be exhausted...deterrence is needed in a civilized society... I don't think free housing and free food or free medical.. for the rest of your life is a good deterrence ....

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
No matter how unfair and unjust people think our system of justice is..Its still the best system in the world and works..I do believe we have become soft as a nation when it comes to rape and murder...If a person is found guilty and all appeals standards have been met and their was no change then we need to execute murderers..and a rapist automatic 20years..But in both instances all efforts to find a person Innocent should be exhausted...
Nah, execute both. Their both crap with legs and we're overpopulated. I'm tired of paying for their cable too.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
It's crazy what some people will pay for. Maybe they were rare shells. I wouldn't give someone a $100 bucks for a shell necklace, but whip out a complete TRW usgi parted, vintage, full-auto M1A from the 70's and now we're talking.
On the reservation these necklaces are handed down from generation to generation and were made by the family. Really some that I have seen should be in the Smithsonian because they are really amazing. Speaking of M14's, did you see that parts kits are making it back to the US and are being assembled by a company called, "Rock-ola".

RockOla M14 .308 Rifle James River Armory

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
No matter how unfair and unjust people think our system of justice is..Its still the best system in the world and works..
I've heard that a lot and often (not necessarily in your case) it's followed by "so be happy!". Not good enough. Having the best system in the world (allegedly, I'd like to see facts on that claim) isn't the best thing for us if it's still broken. I can have the best car in my neighborhood, and it might only be due to the fact that it still runs most days.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
On the reservation these necklaces are handed down from generation to generation and were made by the family. Really some that I have seen should be in the Smithsonian because they are really amazing. Speaking of M14's, did you see that parts kits are making it back to the US and are being assembled by a company called, "Rock-ola".

RockOla M14 .308 Rifle James River Armory
Yep, I know of the Rock-ola's. Suppose to be a fairly good commercial M14 from owners. I'm probably just going to buy another M1A Scout once I move and settle in. It's funny their advertising though at Atlantic, saying from " From Vietnam to Afghanistan one of the finest battle rifles made ." because the usgi M14 was and is used in both places, not the commercial made Rock-Ola. I could do without the bs misleading advertising, as many M14 enthusiast could obviously. If I really want to go expensive and big time, I'll buy a LRB Tanker with an M25 receiver and have the whole action melonite treated. I love that receiver and LRB makes a really nice M14. I've been drooling on them for a while, but there just so pricey.

I've seen some very expensive Indian necklaces and I agree with you, they are amazing pieces of art. Not going to get me to buy any when I could have more M14's, but they are beautiful. The only beautiful thing I like to have around walk on two legs and want to go out and eat all the time. :mrgreen: Their expensive enough.

LRB OF LONG ISLAND, INC

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I've heard that a lot and often (not necessarily in your case) it's followed by "so be happy!". Not good enough. Having the best system in the world (allegedly, I'd like to see facts on that claim) isn't the best thing for us if it's still broken. I can have the best car in my neighborhood, and it might only be due to the fact that it still runs most days.
It also may be it runs most of the days cause you take the time to check it everyday and fix the problems that may be wrong with it..and do preventive maintenance to keep it running smoothly.. Not the make and model..thus not making it the best car in the neighborhood but the most reliable... :D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Could it be that it is on the reservation and Native American shell necklaces which are mostly silver and turquoise can be worth as much as $12,000.

·
Super Moderator
9,216 Posts
I don't think the point of the thread was the stated value of a necklace. maybe the price quoted was misquote. Maybe the woman was stating its sentimental value. I don't care. I can't help but pi#sed off at the idea of habitual criminals getting away with deals. Some people think that the deals are given because of over crowding in the prisons. If our Navy boys on board the subs have to "hot bunk" because of insufficient room then how about the criminals in prisons! Let have a bed for 8 hours and then work them for 16 hours. The bed could be used by 2 more inmates for 8 hours each. I understand that people deserve a second chance but that guys has had so many chances, it's insane, Thank you bleeding heart liberals, who feel sorry about a criminals childhood. I'll put my childhood up against theirs anytime. My father was a brutal SOB. You only made a mistake once. You never made the same mistake twice. When My father passed away, I swear my 3 sisters almost danced on his grave. They would never say anything, but I always wondered why. Looking back over what a womanizer he was (I'm trying to be polite), I wonder what he did to them. My mother tried to make up for him by being loving, nurturing, and from the bruises, broken bones, etc. I'm sure she took a lot of the beating my siblings or I should have received. My wife's psychologist is amazed I can function in society, let alone be in the relationship I have without being a wife beater or worse. So screw it, throw them in the slammer without all the niceties they enjoy now and make them work for a living. The highway department is always looking for more crushed stone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.