Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a link to an in state gun forum I spend way too much time on about Detroit and the upcoming Emergency Financial Manager(EFM)today at 2PM

MGO Community Forum

follow the links also, they're safe

·
Administrator
14,697 Posts
I googled detriot tv stations. They are just reporting that an emergency financial manager has been named, pending appointment. Some guy named Kevin Orr.
The city's going down the trash chute anyway. Obama doesn't have money for White House tours, but I bet he'll find the funds to bail Detroit out of bankrupcy.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I googled detriot tv stations. They are just reporting that an emergency financial manager has been named, pending appointment. Some guy named Kevin Orr.
The city's going down the trash chute anyway. Obama doesn't have money for White House tours, but I bet he'll find the funds to bail Detroit out of bankrupcy.
No but he had 60 billion for Egypts Muslim Brotherhood (Al Qeda light)! Go figure...

Im shocked that after all these years of Liberal Policies, that Detroit aint the Utopia Liberals the world over dream about all daily! Even Hellen Keller could have seen this train wreck coming for a mile away. It should give us a good snap shot of things to come as the US as a whole is headed in the same direction.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
From what I have been reading in the news this is a State take over of the City not a Federal one?
Is that correct or are the Feds' involved. My guess the big fear is the public employee unions,
namely police and fire, will balk at whatever the new administrator demands and chaos could be
right behind it.

To the administrator I have a solution for you. 1) Drum up the national guard of Michigan in a 2
for 1 ratio over the cops. Then lay off all the cops and move the national guard in to take their
place. Let everyone know how untrained they are, and its easier for them to shoot their M16's
then it is to detain anyone. After all this follows the federal doctrine of using drones to kill
would be terrorist - right?

Then post a help wanted ad for new police officers. Offer up the job for $42k a year and a
$3k IRA contribution if you don't exceed sick time allocations. Provide them with the best
available health insurance and put them into state run academies for basic/ I mean police
training. I would venture to guess even in Michigan they'll get more than enough people
ready to take those jobs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Someone at work (transplant from Detroit many years ago) said that Detroit is on an upturn. My reply to that was yes, they are in a much better spot now. Houses that were $200k 5 years ago and sold 2 years ago for $15k are now selling for $20k. Big leap.

That town is a wreck and there are a host of others just like it. People are finally figuring out that when people that earn a wage leave the town that is less money for the entitled. Now they are at a level that can't be turned around. Bankruptcy for that city is inevitable. Not an if, a when.

Buffalo NY is another one people don't think about much. Their population has decreased incredibly over the years. The residents are leaving the city and staying in the metro area. No more city taxes from those folks.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I still do not comprehend how anyone can buy a muni bond as an investment. In Stockton, CA
the muni bond holders are screwed. You can't repossess a sewer line, a storm drain or road.
And the courts/govt allow the unions to go right on getting full benefits / retirement without
impact of the bankruptcy. Oh and they can't even make the city charge more for its services
(sewer, water, etc) to pay for the debts it took on. Its pathetic. If I had a dollar in muni
investments I'd sell it so fast and take just bout anything for it.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Detroit did burn before, for those of us that remember

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
I just saw on the local news that Detroit could not afford to keep street lights on and the FD would not be responding to all fires, like vacant homes. Kinda makes you wonder what the police response is gonna be.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This was enacted by the legislature two years ago and started in Benton Harbor, MI. They were the first town.

This basically unseats elected officials, makes them totally powerless, and an appointee takes over the function of running the city usually by privatizing all services and selling off assets. So, it's no point in voting because elected officials have no power to act on the citizens or city's behalf. This has nothing to do with the Feds. It's a STATE function and this is a really bad idea. I prefer that my vote count.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Got this flying over Chicago. Dont know which way there headed though. Personally its filed under miscellaneous at the moment.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Detroit did burn before, for those of us that remember
It was going on for 2 days before we found out. We tried buying gas for the lawnmower and were told no gas and you're in curfew violation. My uncle was a Mechanic for the Fire Dept so the cop told him he was needed at work and we went home to Sainte Claire Shores, 2 miles North of the fire.

·
Administrator
14,697 Posts
This is what happens to cities that are run by liberal Democrats. This is what people like Obama will do to the entire country. And it's inevetable, because the taker/maker ratio right now is dead even.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My buddy had to drive thru the Ghetto on his way to PM a lift truck. He said about 100 folks are protesting outside city hall. Most residents are actually relieved somethings being done.

The most ruckus is coming for Council and School Board members in fear for their jobs.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
This is what happens to cities that are run by liberal Democrats. This is what people like Obama will do to the entire country. And it's inevetable, because the taker/maker ratio right now is dead even.
YEP.
If I lived in Detroit, I would be looking to leave. Can you see Warren MI if they cut social programs?
The crime rate in Chicago will jump when many head there.
If hand outs are cut it will hit the fan.
Please do not mistake my statement, people that need help should and will get it ,in a just country but what is going on now has nothing to do with helping .

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I lived within 20 miles or closer to Detroit for close to 50 years. It blows.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I don't like the idea of national guard troops and drone strikes, lets not set any presidents.

From what I know you would be better off replacing the leadership of Detroit than the cops. I would just let the town die, wastes no money and doesn't enable the pathetic city government that got them there in the first place.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts