Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good example of panic in my area. Im just outside of Washington DC. We are in the middle of a pretty decent snowstorm right now. Some parts are getting 18 inches of snow. There are thousands in my area without power.

Last year we had a major wind storm and the power was out for some people for a few weeks. So that meant, no power to pump gas, ATMs, or heat in most people's houses last year. We have been lucky - power is still going today, but I have backup generators if necessary. I have about 7 inches of snow on my deck right now with another 4-6 coming.

My wife ran some errands yesterday and said that everywhere she went people were freaking out and panicking buying milk and TP etc. This is actually the reason why I prep. I am not worried about economic collapse, EMP, or zombies, etc. I prep for when there is a natural occurrence - hurricane, snow storm, etc. If something else crazier happens, im ready.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area, luckily there's no snow, but we've gotten a ton of rain and are having wind gusts around 60 mph. My only concern is losing power, as the lights have been flickering for a while now. But luckily I have everything I'd need in the chance of a power outage, I'd be set!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was actually hoping for a power outage of a couple/few days at least,just to test out the whole family on a good cold weather outage.I really wanted to see how things went and where we seen improvement was needed,thought that would have made for a good practice drill.Sadly though,here in eastern Ohio it went right around us,our schools only ended up with a 2 hr delay.They called for 6" or more and we got a dusting...pffft.

But I do get a kick out of seeing how busy chinamarts parking lot and the local grocery stores get,lol,the gas prices always get me,watching them jump up ahead of a storm as well.Funny how big corporate see's a chance to "stick it to the man" in a possible crisis and how fast they react to it,no wonder this country is heading to hell in a hand basket at breakneck speed,lol.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Odd thing to hope for. Just pull the main breaker
Odd?Ehh,maybe a little,but what better way to have a drill than with a "real" situation?Great family practice drill in my book.And don't get me wrong,I wouldn't wish for anyone to be without power or heat,I was just referring to my own homestead.

And on throwing the main breaker for simulation,i've done it and it's just a matter of time till someone caves in,finds what I did and cheats,lol.My family is too spoiled,haha,but i'm working on that.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
When a storm is coming, the only prep I have to do, is make sure I have the fixin's for chocolate chip cookies. :)
I like the way you think! I am usually sitting pretty fat and when I see a storm coming in I will stop off if its conveinent and pick up a couple of luxury items. Its amazing to see all of the paniced sheep running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Its funnier than watching the Three Stooges! Ironically this scenario plays out several times a year here...Go figure. Just goes to show that learning is sometimes a slow and lengthy process.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts