Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was just wondering how long sugar was supposed to last in 32 oz tupperware. Also how many oxygen absorbers to use for this amount of rice and beans. Lookin to store some in my basement.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
As far as I know sugar will last forever as long as it is kept dry in a cool dark place. I use two small oxygen absorbers in a 5 gal pail of rice or one medium one. Obviously, just make sure the container is completely air tight. I do not know if tupperware is or not. (Some plastics do let a small amount of air in over time.)

·
Super Moderator
9,218 Posts
Tupperware is not all that good at stopping oxygen from diffusing thru the plastic. If you want to store small quantities use aluminized Mylar bags, or PETE soda bottles and wrap the bottle with aluminum. The site below has good info and they sell "Ziplock" style bags as small as 1/2 gallon for $0.33 each. $5 for shipping, not matter the size of the order.
https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency_supplies/mylar_food_storage_bags.htm

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
I have never put up real sugar, we really don't use it. Salt, yes and it is hard as a rock in the mylar bag after the oxygen absorber did its job. Just an idea, I have put up quite a bit of Whey Protein Powder in Mylar and Oxygen absorbers. I figure that if I will run out of animal proteins that powdered Whey is just as good as anything. GNC 5 large containers buy them on sale and get out the mylar. Easy protein after mix with water. I think I'll try some sugar.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Anytime, I have learned so much from you all and am glad that one of my ideas may help.
Take care.
That is kind of how it works here - you post some inconsequential bit of info that you think everybody knows, and the rest of us revere you as a guru because we had not thought of it. Thanks! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.