Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day. I hope this is the correct forum...my Fiance has been looking for an outdoor survival class and read about this one: Wilderness Survival ? Core Survival Skills Adventure Clinic

It seems pricey to be and she said they were having a sale at $99, which seems more reasonable. They are also not local - not too far, but not local.

Does anyone have any input on San Diego based outdoor survival classes?

Thank you,
Michael J.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Hmmmm. A hundred dollars plus gas for a five hour class - actually probably four and a half hours with lunch break. Twenty bucks an hour. A hundred bucks spent on Amazon or a good book store, some time reading and then going out to practice (at your own speed). Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm. A hundred dollars plus gas for a five hour class - actually probably four and a half hours with lunch break. Twenty bucks an hour. A hundred bucks spent on Amazon or a good book store, some time reading and then going out to practice (at your own speed). Just my thoughts.
Yes, I agree. She has a couple of books in her Amazon wish list...I suggested that.
Thank you

Survival school in San Diego? Does it include an open bar?
Duh! Of course!! :)

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I'll put a survival class on in my backyard. I'll give you a knife,tarp,string and a lighter. Then you're on your own. I'll watch out my back window by the heater.

It's part of the Manistee National Forest.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
If it's in san diego it needs to include a geiger counter and map of escape routes.

I think the suggestion about spending the money on real education or materials you can use would be a better investment. I don't see what you can get in one day for $100 bucks, compared to what you could buy for yourself.

I teach pro austere medicine and it's not cheap, but there is defined practical content you can't easily get off amazon, a real and substantive edge that is not available other places and resources/continuing. Critically analyze the actual content and carry away of anyprogrm. You might find that the skills attained for your money were "making a camp fire", "putting up a tent", "solar clothes dryer" and such.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it's in san diego it needs to include a geiger counter and map of escape routes.

I think the suggestion about spending the money on real education or materials you can use would be a better investment. I don't see what you can get in one day for $100 bucks, compared to what you could buy for yourself.

I teach pro austere medicine and it's not cheap, but there is defined practical content you can't easily get off amazon, a real and substantive edge that is not available other places and resources/continuing. Critically analyze the actual content and carry away of anyprogrm. You might find that the skills attained for your money were "making a camp fire", "putting up a tent", "solar clothes dryer" and such.
Thanks! I was trying to satisfy her looking for a course, and found out it was going to be a gift for me! ;) I declined...

Thanks all ;)
Michael J.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
For a "hands on" class $165 is not a bad price. The treatise says they teach you to make a "friction" fire, shelter, and food gathering techniques. By all means get the books but taking a hands on class is worth a lot too. When I was teaching survival classes it was an eight hour class for $99.50 (with a $350 minimum) and that was a long time ago. It was a bit more in depth but for the knowledge and confidence that they are providing it is not expensive at all.

Reactions: Go2ndAmend

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For a "hands on" class $165 is not a bad price. The treatise says they teach you to make a "friction" fire, shelter, and food gathering techniques. By all means get the books but taking a hands on class is worth a lot too. When I was teaching survival classes it was an eight hour class for $99.50 (with a $350 minimum) and that was a long time ago. It was a bit more in depth but for the knowledge and confidence that they are providing it is not expensive at all.
Thanks for the input. As of now, I'll be passing on this and we'll see what comes up...also, before we get out of this kommunist state, not sure where we'd bug out to...

thank you,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts