Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apartment so my space is limited.I'm out of space for preps so i stopped. prepping.i don't want to stop but i don't know what to do with miore stuff. Does it means i got too much? I'm a single mom so i want to make sure my boys are taken care of when shtf.any ideas for storage are welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Not knowing your set up, it's hard to answer. Try vertical or stacked. Depends on what you are storing. I'm sure you already thought about under beds, closets, etc.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
There are several options and strategies for limited space.

Replace your coffee table with an old trunk, and fill the trunk.

You've probably already used up the space under your beds, but if not use that.

If you have a book shelf move your books out to the end and store canned goods behind the books. Even better, if you have a limited amount of books turn them so the front faces outward and create even more room.

Get long cloths to cover your end tables, and store supplies underneath those.

Take a careful look at how you are using your closet space and see if there is a way to organize them better. One idea is to store canned goods in large plastic storage containers that you can stack in your closet to free up shelf space. Go through your closet and idnetify items you simply don't wear anymore due to age, damage, or other reasons. Donate the useable items.

I know we have a ton of wasted cabinet space due to disorganization and too much redundancy of utensils, pots, pans, and some just plain junk we haven't used in forever.

take a look at the cabinet space under your kitchen and bathroom sinks. Not a good place to store items that could be damages by water in case of a leak, but certainly useable space. I know we have way too much crap underneath ours!

Do a web search on prepper storage. There are many blog posts about apartment preppers and their ongoing innovations to over come space issues.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Ripon

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have about 200 lbs of rice in 5 gal buckets i use some of the buckets as. end tables and some are stacked up. my closets are full. i bring boxes from work and stack them up in my closet.kitchen cabinets full too. Never thought of under the bed so there's space i can use for boxes of water :) thank you for that idea.was thinking on moving the couches and put stuff behind idk prepping with no space is overwhelming sometimes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I too live in an apartment where space is limited. I get storage containers to fill and stack. For the best use of space, organization is key. Under my bed is completely full, of course, and my closets are getting that way. I like the idea of using different sized trunks as end/coffee tables, they are discreet yet practical. I don't exactly want a ton of "clutter", or boxes just sitting around everywhere.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I do not know where you are from. Thus I don't know what your "bug out" scenerio is. I can't imagine living in a city and not developing a bug out plan (just me). To that end I'd evaluate some public property (BLM land) that you might bug out too and start visiting routinely and add camping to your enjoyment of life. While camping on BLM land you can find "those spots" you might bug out too in a crisis and start burying some of your goods there. I can assure you; that way - you will never run out of space.

I live in an apartment so my space is limited.I'm out of space for preps so i stopped. prepping.i don't want to stop but i don't know what to do with miore stuff. Does it means i got too much? I'm a single mom so i want to make sure my boys are taken care of when shtf.any ideas for storage are welcome.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I do not know where you are from. Thus I don't know what your "bug out" scenerio is. I can't imagine living in a city and not developing a bug out plan (just me). To that end I'd evaluate some public property (BLM land) that you might bug out too and start visiting routinely and add camping to your enjoyment of life. While camping on BLM land you can find "those spots" you might bug out too in a crisis and start burying some of your goods there. I can assure you; that way - you will never run out of space.
Agreed,
I am not sure about the posters bug out plan so it's hard to say. WHat do you plan on doing in a SHTF scenario? Staying put? If you are in an apartment, I would seriously think about having someplace to go. Personally, I would find a place as far away from the cities as possible. Start looking for vacant land and even vacant farms and ranches. If something were to happen, you might consider making one of them your bol.. There are TONS of bank owned properties and some pretty large farms and ranches I have seen. If I didn't already have my place here in Montana. You could bet your ass I would take over a bank owned property. You couldn't prep before hand on the property but at least you would have a place to go to live as self sufficient as possible. You would be surprised how many people never think of that. I have clients I tell that to sometime and you can see a light go off in their heads..lol
Now back to your preps. You could get yourself a storage unit. Or even a couple of them scattered about and put stuff in them. They hold a ton of preps and you can even get temp controlled ones if you want. They are not too expensive either..Give us a little more info on what you are doing and we can give more detailed advise..

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in a small city sorrounded by corn fields and whatever else they plant. my plan is drive to the mountains but we got bears and stuff so idk bout that. ill figure it out.i can't afford to have a bol and all the fancy stuff so I'm prepping with what my budget allows and so far that's food water and first aid.with the coronavirus scare i would like to start a pandemic kit so that's my next project.there's land behind the base but i wouldn't go there if i gotta leave.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't stay put i live on first floor apartment and every door but the front door is glass. i been considering if shtf ill take over one of the vacant apts that are on second floor till i figure out what to do.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Sounds like you're doing a good job of the housing situation you have and have though through various things. People have to plan with the hand they are dealt. Just keep thinking the way you are. You may also want to seek out others that think like you.

Under the bed storage has two side effects. The first is a pissed off kid that can't keep their stiff there, like all kids tend to do. The second is that it stops them from doing what I described in number one and keeps things a little cleaner. Lol.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh i know bout kids and stuff under the bed.everytime they loose something guess what its under the bed lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
I find myself wanting more and more preps, but, we can only do what works in our situations. It sounds like you have done a lot with what you have. As for pandemic prep, your basic needs are N95 masks and a good way to keep isolated from others. If you share ventilation, a very good HEPA system for your apartment would be a good investment with some extra filters (assuming as long as the electric is going your ventilation system is going, if electricity is off, than you will have no need for the HEPA since you won't be having air pumped into your place that was just in your neighbors.) Bleach, Lysol Spray, etc. will be a start. The most likely bugs right now that would cause a pandemic, have no cure, so isolation is important. It's tough to isolate in a city, but it can be done. Get a pneumovax vaccine for yourself now. You can pick up N95 masks at home improvement stores or on amazon.com. You could get some antibiotics to have stored in case you get sick from something else, you don't want to go to a clinic during a pandemic. You are doing a good job with what you have and many posters gave you a lot of good hints for storage. I'm going to apply some of their ideas!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Agreed,
I am not sure about the posters bug out plan so it's hard to say. WHat do you plan on doing in a SHTF scenario? Staying put? If you are in an apartment, I would seriously think about having someplace to go. Personally, I would find a place as far away from the cities as possible. Start looking for vacant land and even vacant farms and ranches. If something were to happen, you might consider making one of them your bol.. There are TONS of bank owned properties and some pretty large farms and ranches I have seen. If I didn't already have my place here in Montana. You could bet your ass I would take over a bank owned property. You couldn't prep before hand on the property but at least you would have a place to go to live as self sufficient as possible. You would be surprised how many people never think of that. I have clients I tell that to sometime and you can see a light go off in their heads..lol
Now back to your preps. You could get yourself a storage unit. Or even a couple of them scattered about and put stuff in them. They hold a ton of preps and you can even get temp controlled ones if you want. They are not too expensive either..Give us a little more info on what you are doing and we can give more detailed advise..
What do you mean about taking over bank owned property? We have looked at several bank owned, but they want 100% up front. We want to move but by the time we sell our house the properties will be gone. Are you talking about "squatting". If a true SHTF happens that would be no problem but not till then. Please explain.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I live in a small city sorrounded by corn fields and whatever else they plant. my plan is drive to the mountains but we got bears and stuff so idk bout that. ill figure it out.i can't afford to have a bol and all the fancy stuff so I'm prepping with what my budget allows and so far that's food water and first aid.with the coronavirus scare i would like to start a pandemic kit so that's my next project.there's land behind the base but i wouldn't go there if i gotta leave.
If you are close enough to mountains then search for Bureau of Land Management Land (BLM). It's free. Of course it's only part yours (tax payer part). Anyone can settle there it would be first come and first serve in a crisis. So look for extremely remote.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
What do you mean about taking over bank owned property? We have looked at several bank owned, but they want 100% up front. We want to move but by the time we sell our house the properties will be gone. Are you talking about "squatting". If a true SHTF happens that would be no problem but not till then. Please explain.
Yes, I an talking about squatting. But like I said, you could not do it UNTIL a shtf situation.. I would be looking for some that are way out in BFE and pick 4-5 that might have what you need. Start doing research and even get hold of the realtor or whoever has it for sale and tell them you are interested and have them show you around. Start getting some ideas on your defenses and where you would put your garden, how many cattle it will hold and such. It is just an option but a pretty good one if you are short on finances but know where you would like to be.. Just an idea!

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Although it is not optimal, I have run across some folks living in apartments that rent a storage locker within walking distance of their apartment and store stuff there. You say you live in a small city, so that might be workable price-wise, certainly not in someplace like New York or Chicago. Also, depending on the storage locker, you might have to be careful about storing food there, but...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Miho:

Can you afford an off-site storage unit? I have rented climate controlled storage units for around $50 a month for a 10 x 10 foot into (100 sq. ft.) and you can store a lot of stuff there. Pick a place that is close and store stuff in plastic tote bins like the Rubbermaid 18 gallon bins. Easy to stack, easy to move, waterproof and portable.

Keep you bug out kit at home and resupply from your storage area stash if the need ever arises.

Your apartments might offer some small storage units too for a small monthly fee - check and see.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Well, if the apartment is full, there is always more room between the ears. Preparation encompasses many things besides buying and storing goods. Are you as trained in medical issues as you would like to be? Can you start a fire without matches? Have you ever killed, plucked and gutted a chicken and then cooked it? These are all valuable skills that don't take up any room except between the ears. All of us have room there.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Just make sure you have plan for water, all the rice in the world won't help you without potable water.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts