Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering jumping headfirst into this endeavor but I still have one reservation. I know I can prepare however my biggest concern is ourselves. Seems like after the SHTF, every community in the country will have little militias along with the gang militias and every item of resource will be declared public (or militia) property. Yes, I have the weapons but how are you going to resist a militia knocking on your door and cleaning you out? You can't hide, there will be thousands (maybe millions) scouring every square foot looking for resources.

This seems to be the fatal flaw with all these endeavors. I am stuck on this so if anyone has some comforting arguments, I would love to hear them.

Thanks,

Goldwinger, a wannabe prepper

·
Registered
887 Posts
Id just like to say better prepared then not. If you are locked into your current home for prepping then that might be your only option. But the skills to survive will make a difference for you and your family. Gardening and Water being the must haves. I have been practicing gardening at night. Inside gardening. Theres options youll pick up here and there in the situation you described.

Better prepared then not.

many preppers have BOL that we keep secret for just that reason.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Or you prep with others to help form a group capable of defending itself. Ideally, you can work with your neighbors to help build a community defense force (aka, a Militia) that can defend what you, and others in your community, have from raiders. Despite what you may have seen on NBC's Revolution, Militias aren't always a bad thing.

·
Super Moderator
9,263 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Who knows what's going to happen. It could be something as simple as a natural disaster like a tornado or winter storm. It could be an economic collapse or a civil war. Your guess is as good as mine.

I am not part of a prepper community. It's just me and my wife, maybe some of her family. Whatever happens I don't intend to part of the people out in the streets wondering why fema isn't coming to take care of them. It is my intention to take care of my friends and family. I do not intend to be part of the long lines IF fema shows up and is rationing food. Yes, there may be gangs but it will take them a little time to figure things out so that should give you a few days to prepare. Who will make it and who won't? Only God knows. If the gangs want my stuff, it will cost them dearly. I figure that they will be looking for easy.

I am not one of those people capable of rolling over and giving up. It's just not in my nature.

I have been prepping for a long time. I have made a lot of mistakes a long the way. Everything I have done, I have tried figuring out by myself. I know I'm not the sharpest tack in the box and could use some help. I have been learning since I found this forum. Things I would have never thought of, resources I would have never found by myself. There are lot's of good people here with good idea's.

New people and new idea's are always welcome.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
You do not just prep for the SHTF totally situation. I prep for storms, power outages etc. there are a lot of reasons to be prepared...
50 MPH winds in West MI presently, lots of power outages and snow just to my North a very few miles.My friend lost power yesterday near Metropolitian Beach, MT.Clemens MI.

I walked him through how to use what he had and what to get . He was glad to have listened to me on the candles, canned food and instant coffee though since he had those already.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I started prepping for disasters when I lost my business and my income a couple years ago due to the recession. I had a pretty good income and was doing great. But it all came crashing down and I was not prepared. So I decided to start putting extra food away for my family in the event I ever lost my job again. I really don't believe in Mad Max, Book of Eli doomsday scenarios. I like to believe our country is too resilient to endure something like that. Yesterday/last night we were hit with a blizzard here in the Mid West. If we lost power for a few days, then we would have food and other resources on hand to survive. Hurricane Sandy and Katrina are other examples why preparing is a good idea. Don't focus on large scale events that could cripple the country. Focus on localized events that could affect you and start there. You never know with this economy how secure your job is. Put your extra money into food and supplies, instead of buying more tv's and things a person doesn't really need. We also stock what we eat. We rotate through our food supply and eat the older stuff that's getting close to expiration. Start with a goal of 1 weeks supply of food. Then build up to two weeks and so on.
Yes, major events could occur that could cripple our economy plunging this country into chaos, as it has happened to other countries. Another pandemic could sweep across the land and wipe out millions of people. An event like that I'd rather stay in my home limit the risk of exposure. There are so many scenarios and possibilities. But shows like Revolution are so far fetched. Start small and focus on realistic scenarios. If I lose my job, we have a few months worth of food on hand till I get back on my feet. It's one less thing we have to spend money on. Another concern for me is terrorism. If they found a way to hit us hard again in the US, it could cripple the economy and bring us to chaos as everyone would be in fear of another strike. The time to have food and provisions is before an event, not when it happens. Look at all the people out panic buying firearms for fear of a ban. Well, the SHTF and many people were not prepared. Now they are all on the forums whining that they can't get what they want and shouldn't have waited. Why wait to put food and provisions away for a rainy day? Remember, in a disaster, food and water will be gone from the stores shelves in three days. And that's if you can even get there. So my advice is start with small scale, realistic scenarios, and go from there. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..how are you going to resist a militia knocking on your door and cleaning you out? You can't hide, there will be thousands (maybe millions) scouring every square foot looking for resources...
It might not get as bad as that.
If there are millions of survivors after a minor disaster many of the National Guard and Army will have survived too, and will be doing anti-looter patrols to protect citizens.
If it's a major disaster such as asteroid strike, nuclear winter or plague, a lot of people will have died so there won't be many gangs about anyway.
If people with guns do show up at your home to rob you, you'll have every right to defend yourself just like Kurt Russel when his little group was threatened by a murderous militia group-

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Best insurance would be for us to have a permanent self-sufficient bugout location in the country like this where we can live forever, growing our own food and hunting game. If we ever decide to go back to the city later on, the gangs will have probably eaten each other by then..:)

If we don't have a permanent self-sufficient bugout location, the next best thing would be to temporarily get out of town for a while with our tent and camping gear to escape the gangs, taking as much food as we can carry to sit it out as long as possible like the pics below, and hopefully things will have settled down in town by then and we can go back-

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Of course, there's always the possibility that there might not be a city worth going back to because we can't eat concrete..;)

So it'll be a case of "Okay, it's the countryside for us, break out the farming instruction books!"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just want to thank all of the good folks that have responded with sincerity and good thinking. Yes, I have been focusing mostly on the worst case scenario, and some of the comments have reminded me of the many other reasons to plan ahead. Living in hurricane country, I have seen the store shelves empty and seen the week+ with no power, so there are lots of small emergencies to plan for, even if the big one does not happen. Again, thanks to all for taking the time to share your thinking.

Goldwinger

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Playing it by ear, we might do better to stay in the city if-
1- The Army is suppressing the gangs
2- Government food convoys are coming in
3- Bitter weather and snowdrifts would make it impossible to get out into the country anyway

CLIP: THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW
2:00 "Do not go out"

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Who knows what's going to happen. It could be something as simple as a natural disaster like a tornado or winter storm. It could be an economic collapse or a civil war. Your guess is as good as mine.

I am not part of a prepper community. It's just me and my wife, maybe some of her family. Whatever happens I don't intend to part of the people out in the streets wondering why fema isn't coming to take care of them. It is my intention to take care of my friends and family. I do not intend to be part of the long lines IF fema shows up and is rationing food. Yes, there may be gangs but it will take them a little time to figure things out so that should give you a few days to prepare. Who will make it and who won't? Only God knows. If the gangs want my stuff, it will cost them dearly. I figure that they will be looking for easy.

I am not one of those people capable of rolling over and giving up. It's just not in my nature.

I have been prepping for a long time. I have made a lot of mistakes a long the way. Everything I have done, I have tried figuring out by myself. I know I'm not the sharpest tack in the box and could use some help. I have been learning since I found this forum. Things I would have never thought of, resources I would have never found by myself. There are lot's of good people here with good idea's.

New people and new idea's are always welcome.
That's true. For me it has been this way most of my life. Started with my Grandpappy who lived through the 1st Great Depression - he was a prepper and he passed it on. So did my Dad who grew-up poor on the wrong side of the tracks before making it big financially.

Lived on a farm - we just prepped without knowing we were prepping. It was our way of life.

As I got older, served in the military and spent some time in Italy listening to the old Italians talk about what it was like in WWII in a warn torn country ... and prepping became even more important to me for my family's sake.

Then came Hugo (we lived on the Isle of Palms at the time and the eye of Hugo's bullseye passed right over out home), then TB2K and Katrina ... we've just kept on prepping. When I met my wife she had a box of crackers in the cabinet and a half a sixpack of diet cokes in the fridge. Today she is a full blown prepper.

When we bought this farm we immediately started training the kids - it comes natural to them now even though three of them have flown the coop and are out of college and on their own.

Our neighbors, all farmers, are natural born preppers, hunters, fishermen, just like us. And while we live acres apart we all talk and plan just in case - and we do have a plan in place to circle the wagons along our dirt road if the shtf.

·
Administrator
14,911 Posts
Anyone who lives in Florida for more than a couple years is usually a prepper - even on a small scale. Nobody bats an eye at those who do.
The wife and I lived in hurricane central (Southeast Florida) for many years before being presented with a work relocation. We eagerly took advantage of the situation.
We now have a small farm on a dead end dirt road 6 miles outside a one stop light town of 2,000. Prepping is a normal way of life among country folk.
But y'all should make the best of what you have, wherever you have it. Buy canned food cheap and stack it deep. Keep your preps to yourself, if others know what you have you are setting yourself up for failure. Like the WWII slogan - "Loose lips sink ships."
My wife only buys what's on sale at the grocery and uses coupons as well. Don't forget bottled water.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Situations

Three years ago I had to close my business. I lost darn near any savings I had with the exception what my dad bestowed upon me in a trust. That enabled me and my wife to buy a foreclosed home and with no job or extra money I worked on it the best I could. It's a nice home now and paid for so I can live really cheap which is good because I have very little income. That's why I prep. When I was desperate, broke and had no income the one thing left ( my dads trust ) included a nice propery and I had to look at living there, hunting, fishing, gardening, and building shelter with nothing and water could be a problem (or so I thought). Prepping came as a necessity for me. Learning to live on $7500 a year, growing my own food, hunting for my own meat, creating my own electricity. I lived high on the hog for 45 years. I have (had) a lot of things. Now I'm learning to part with them so I can buy solar panels, ammo, and more important stuff ( sand bags that will form quality walls ). When silver hit $45 about two years ago I parted with 50 ounces and have no regrets because my dads land now has a well and small orchard growing (40 trees). SHTF comes in many different ways. I'm stronger physically, mentally, spiritually, and my relationship with my dear wife is good. We are still broke but it's comforting knowing we can live on next to nothing and if we had to leave our home we have a place to go....thanks Dad.

I just want to thank all of the good folks that have responded with sincerity and good thinking. Yes, I have been focusing mostly on the worst case scenario, and some of the comments have reminded me of the many other reasons to plan ahead. Living in hurricane country, I have seen the store shelves empty and seen the week+ with no power, so there are lots of small emergencies to plan for, even if the big one does not happen. Again, thanks to all for taking the time to share your thinking.

Goldwinger

1 - 16 of 16 Posts