Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered a new Kabar./Updated-came in/Pics added

Had to do it. I've been wanting to pick a new one up that was kraton handled instead of leather washers and had a ambi polymer sheath. For as simple as it is and really not that expensive as far as knives go, the KaBar really is a damn good knife. I thought about buying the Big Brother, but thing is just too big even though this is for a weapons rig.

zKA1257.jpg

Updated,

Pics of the new 1211 with my great uncles MK2 on page 3.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it Made in the USA, or an import?
Should be made in the USA. It's one of the serrated 7 inch classics with a Kraton handle and kydex sheath. Those are USA made to my knowledge and it's some of the newer models that are not.

------
Hard to go wrong with Kabar.
Definitely hard to wrong with a Kabar. I've got lots of other knives, but a Kabar has a great blade and comfortable handle and even though they thin out the tang inside the handle there still a very tough knife in my experience. I've got one that was passed down to me from my father that my great uncle used in WWII and it's still going strong. I know I used it quite alot for bushcraft and camping.

------------

They've never done anything but impressed me with their quality.
Me too. A great knife for the money. Still one of the most comfortable gripped and best fighting knife to me.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Definitely hard to wrong with a Kabar. I've got lots of other knives, but a Kabar has a great blade and comfortable handle and even though they thin out the tang inside the handle there still a very tough knife in my experience. I've got one that was passed down to me from my father that my great uncle used in WWII and it's still going strong. I know I used it quite alot for bushcraft and camping.
I'll be leaving mine to my son when I'm gone. He's tried to trade me any number of other edged weapons on the last few years for it, but he knows it's a futile effort, lol.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was watching some Youtube videos of guys using them for chopping trees down and one kid complaining about his breaking at the tang edge where the blade and handle meet. Seriously, it's a knife. If you want to use for an axe's job, it's not an axe. If you want to use it as a prybar, it's not a prybar. Everthing has it's limits and this is a knife.

KA-1214.jpg

·
Administrator
14,699 Posts
My Army outfit in Vietnam was attached to the Marines. This was my first exposure to the USMC Fighting Knife. I "aquired" one, made under contract by Cammilus. I left it behind with a buddy when I came home.
Fast forward 30 years and I bought a gen-u-ine Ka-Bar USMC Fighting Knife brand new. And later picked up a WWII Ka-Bar complete with US Navy MkII scabbard.
Hopefully my heirs will appreciate how highly I value these knives after I'm gone.
As a WWII history buff, when I hold one in my hands I think about things like the 300 Marine Raiders defending Edson's Ridge on Guadalcanal against 1500 charging Japs, the fighting getting so close some Marines were defending their foxholes using Ka-Bars. History, Pride, and Freedom are what I feel when I pick up a Ka-Bar.
I'm just a sentimental old soldier, I guess.

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fuzzee...nice knife.
That's just someone's promo pic. Mine's still in the mail, but if I've got time when it gets here on a day off I'll try to post a nice pic. Maybe one with the old WWII in it also. My great uncle made a custom leather sheath for it and rewrapped the handle with additional leather. He also bent down the top of the guard. I could do without the top of the guard myself. It gets in the way for a reverse grip for fighting, but bending it down isn't going to work with the sheath. I hear people sometimes grind it off.

·
Registered
938 Posts
If a fixed blade knife is going to break, it will break at the hilt, right between where the handle and the blade meet.

I have actually had a Kabar break there, right in half. So it happens....

I still buy and own them because they are good knives; but for very hard usage you really need a full tang knife....

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If a fixed blade knife is going to break, it will break at the hilt, right between where the handle and the blade meet.

I have actually had a Kabar break there, right in half. So it happens....

I still buy and own them because they are good knives; but for very hard usage you really need a full tang knife....
What were you using it for that it broke there or do you think it was just a faulty blade with an imperfection?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Looks like my neighbor has a grinding wheel I can use. I think I'll grind down the upper guard and than blue it afterward. I think I'd be happier loosing it. I not worried about warranty as I read people mention. It's a tool. It's for use. If I break it, I'll replace it myself. If someone in person sees my Kabar and cries about the damaging it from original, I'm sure thoughts of shoving it in their ribs will come into mind and me saying, "look, it works fine still". :mrgreen:

Like this guy did.

Modified kabar fighting knife

·
Registered
938 Posts
What were you using it for that it broke there or do you think it was just a faulty blade with an imperfection?
I was up in a tree stand about 15 feet off the ground.

I had cut a length of paracord so I could lower items to the ground when I got ready to go.

I knocked my Kabar off my thigh and it fell directly onto a flat rock that was at the base of the tree. The knife landed flat on its side, and I heard "ting" and the blade went one way and the handle went the other. It broke right at the brass hand guard.

It was the standard Kabar, leather ring handled model, leather sheath. My Dad just bought another one when I got home.

At the time it didn't dawn on me to return it to Kabar - they might have replaced it. I just chalked it up as a lesson learned.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I own a Ka-Bar USMC knife and their 7" fighting knife. Both are full tang blades.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts