Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ironic. Considered environmentally unfriendly, yet naturally exists in the environment. Weird how that works.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
So does asbestos exist in the environment but you don't load that into your shotgun and shoot it either. Depleted uranium is a big part of the or that is used to refine high quality uranium for fuel rods and weapons. They just take the uranium that they want to use for fuel and the low level depleted uranium is made into bullets. When it goes through a hunk of armor, it is vaporized or at least aerosolized and put into the local atmosphere. That is very different from laying on or in the ground locked away so it can't be inhaled or ingested.

Reactions: Medic33

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If you are interested in airguns then read some of the stuff written by a guy named Gaylord. He has a regular column in Shotgun news, and some other stuff on Amazon or web sites if u look around. When I first saw his column I thought "Airguns? In SGN? Seriously?"

But once I found out that there are airguns that can hunt in Africa, I was a little more interested. There's one that shoots a heavier bullet than my Kodiak. Pow, zoom, to the farging moon!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sorry, late to the party here...

Look around local thrift stores for things made of pewter.. Great source of Tin and a little extra antimony, When the SHTF you can just melt the posts off of old batteries (pure lead and mix 50/50 with the pewter you scrounged and have good bullet alloy.

I have collected close to 180lbs of pewter and over 2000lbs of wheel weight alloy and maybe 100 or so lbs of pure from cast iron plumbing joints. (my BIL is a contractor and he collects the pure lead when he finds it.)

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
for close range target shooting, what about plastic? sorry, I don't have any first hand knowledge with this, but there are injection molding devices suitable for the home hobbiest workbench. And, the plastic beads can be purchased by the 50lb bag, or by the train car.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Forget lead...I recently read on this forum that a sharp stick is best... Some Canadian said that... 😉

·
Super Moderator
9,073 Posts
Heard of a guy who goes out to range and sifts thru the sand backstop for bullets. I suppose he can get it, but dang, that seems like a lot of work.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You could try your local public works dept at your town or city. They might end up with lead pipe from replacing old water mains and could be happy just to get rid of it without paying some sort of enviro charges.

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
Also, my pa used to use round lead shot (of the appropriate size) so that a single shot was tapped into a 30-06 casing. It made a pretty decent varmint round up to about 30 meter.

A few boxes of 10,000 rounds of shot could be purchase from a reloading shop.

Combine this with other strategies and you should have it made.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts