Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If & when the shtf getting out of Dodge may be a serious problem with traffic and blocked roads. (some may be blocked intentionally!) In any case it would be dangerous exposing yourself & family.
One of my thoughts was to modify a BOV so that it could drive on RR tracks. It isn't coincidence that the rails are exactly the same width as most full size vehicles. It wouldn't take much of a modification to add some drop-down guides to allow vehicle tires to ride on the tracks. The driver wouldn't even need to steer. Just set the cruise control and go!
The guides could be controlled from the driver's seat allowing normal use of the vehicle as well. It would be possible to get on and off the tracks almost anywhere. (Don't try it on a bridge!)

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I personally rely on my FJ's off road capability. The roads may be clogged but the shoulders will be open in most cases. I know my BOV can go down embankments and crawl up things I wouldn't even try on foot. As long as it can do that, and it can easily, I'm good. Not to mention freeways full of clogged cars offer easy picking for gasoline. NOW- on closed-sided freeways with barely any shoulder yes, but at that point I would aim off the road or turn around and go back. I am getting a chainsaw for the BOV so I can cut my way in and out of these Georgia roads. The FJ can also move a car about 1000 pounds heavier than it is, and it already weighs in at 4200 pounds. Sitting it stationary, I can use the winch I'm about to get to drag an 8,000lb vehicle out of my way. As far as railroad tracks, might be a bit bumpy but the FJ can already travel along RR tracks. I am betting if you really take care not to get stuck on the rails, you could take a subaru and do it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I walked 10 miles down a highway and it was all sidelined by the RR. Not all but Highway 99 seems to be the RR/Hwy in my neighborhood. Its the truckers route from South Cali to Washington. The RR crosses to the coast there as theres seaports.. I dont know how much is adjacent with RR but Id expect a good bit. Better then the I-5. To be specefic. Which brings up another route...Coastline if passable or if on foot would have a bounty of resources. If we werent in a natural disaster..

·
Registered
67 Posts
That s a great idea! I just wish you would have only told me about it... :-D
A vehicle that rides on the rails could zip right past any issues that your would normally face on the highway. You even get the traffic to stop for you. By the time they realize what is happening you and zipping down the rail. If there is an obstruction, get off the rail, drive around and continue past it further down the rail. I love that Idea.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I seriously doubt it would cost all that much. I can make almost all of it myself. As far as legal issues... who would seriously be concerned with that in the event of a nationwide emergency? Who would be there to arrest you? What jury would convict you if you were arrested?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uh,I mentioned legality because one would want to PREPARE the vehicle BEFORE the SHTF and a legit biz won't do it..
Simple to make rimmed steel wheels with connections,etc to support a ton or two? Doable.yes,but not simple
I don't see a need to "support" the vehicle since it will be supported by the tires. All that would be needed are guides to maintain alignment on the tracks. It never crossed my mind to have a shop build it. The plan was to fabricate everything myself. You might be right on finding a shop to do it for you. Some people should invest their money on hiking boots.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hiking boots? Ya think?There actually are not many cars whose wheels will fit well on rr tracks. We mainly use p/u trucks. There are some small cars used for inspections,but they have steel drive wheels
that require a seperate axle and transfer case with hydraulics to switch between tires and steel wheels
If your BOV is a Prius or Smart Car you are better off with the boots and a shopping cart to haul your supplies in. I didn't come here to argue. I was merely offering a suggestion that could keep someone alive. In your previous 692 posts have you contributed anything but whining?

·
Registered
496 Posts
..... In your previous 692 posts have you contributed anything but whining?
Paraphrasing Sarah Palin, "don't get your panties in a wad" You have a good idea, that needs some work and Oswegoscott has made some good points he sees that would need to be addressed.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I work in downtown DC. I have always planned on walking out of the city. I am a short walk to the VA line. Then just hoof it back to my house. I have thought about using the Potomac river to get out as well, my house is a mile from the water. So I think that might be a less thought about route out.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Don't forget power lines and gas lines even drainage ditches. Get a Topo map it shows all these things, railroads would be my preferred route if walking because of the low grades. Do a virtual check get on google earth and follow the power lines creeks railroad tracks etc around your home.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't forget power lines and gas lines even drainage ditches. Get a Topo map it shows all these things, railroads would be my preferred route if walking because of the low grades. Do a virtual check get on google earth and follow the power lines creeks railroad tracks etc around your home.
Excellent! Simple and extremely effective.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would think a motorcycle or a bicycle would be a better bet. Put a sidecare or bugger on it for the kids or your stuff. I think trying to travel in a vehicle on a railroad track would attract a lot of attention. If you are near water, how about a canoe? I would think it is important to be stealthy, not attract attention, be low profile, make steady progress.

·
Registered
67 Posts
trains tracks often are in very remote places. I could see hitting the road till you are near a remote area, jump on the track and head to a railroad remote area! on second though, forget I said that. nothing to see here...

·
Registered
938 Posts
I would steer clear of railroad tracks in a SHTF situation unless you are part of a large group, one that is armed.

RR tracks are ideal for ambushes. You will be walking right into a trap. You will be robbed of all your stuff, or worse.

During recent hurricane evacuations, gangs took over rest stops and robbed people, then carjacked their vehicles and left them stranded.

If your planning involves using routes that bad guys frequent, you are just another sitting duck when they come across your path.

Don't be so readily predictable, or be prepared to face getting bushwhacked. If this is part of your plan, you won't last very long....

·
Registered
938 Posts
And all those underpasses with perches for bad guys---even just with rocks
Yeah, and then you get to meet all those friendly people who sleep under the overpasses.

Remember the old children's story about the trolls who live under the bridge? Ever wonder how those stories made it into folklore?

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Yeah, and then you get to meet all those friendly people who sleep under the overpasses.

Remember the old children's story about the trolls who live under the bridge? Ever wonder how those stories made it into folklore?
Hey wait a minute there, who you calling a troll? I happen to live in Michigan's Lower Peninsula, which is below the Big Mackinac Bridge, and them darn Yoopers keep calling us trolls.
Now Dixie is doing the same thing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts