Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to what optics, if any, that people are putting on their semi-automatic center fire rifles. I believe that it will depend on the situation that you think you will most likely be using the rifle, the range, terrain, the foliage, and the actual targets. Personally on my AR-15 I have an EOTech 512, that is nothing more then a holograph of a cross hair but no magnification. The reason that I chose it is because I anticipate that most targets that I would have to engage would be under 150 yds, you can acquire targets and multiple targets quickly with it, and it uses AA batteries which are very common and you can buy re-chargeable ones.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing that I have always been a stickler about is that I have iron sights on all of mine in addition to optics on some of them, and before I add any kind of optics to them I make sure that the iron sights have been zeroed. I do have one hunting rifle that doesn't come with iron sights, but that is the exception.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Just a personal observation, . . . I wouldn't waste money on a mount for an SK or AK, . . . much less a scope.

Their inherent accuracy is something near one minute of basketball at 100 yds, . . . if you have to shoot one, . . . irons are going to get you as close as a scope would.

For an AR, . . . Eotech is a good choice, . . . couple it with a swing away 3X multiplier, . . . you should be good to go out to at least 300 yds.

Now if you have an M1 or M1A, . . . it can be worth putting a scope on, . . . they can drop some serious lead on targets at some serious distances.

May God bless,

Dwight

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I agree with the above posts. I wouldn't waste money on a scope for an AK or SKS. Just my opinion. The AK is very reliable but I am not a fan of it. Especially when it comes to accuracy. I'm sure there are some out there that are accurate and I',m sure there will be some guys posting how great theirs is. I'm sure it is for them. I am just not a fan personally. As for the AR. Unless it is set up for a longer range weapon with a bull barrel and a 1/7 or 1/8 twist. I would get a regular scope. I would get a 1-4x acog type scope. That way you can use it for CQB at 1-2x and also take it out to 4-500 yds witht he higher magnification fairly reasonably..

I am like you also. I like to always have iron sights available on my weapon just in case. I do have a few long range rifles that do not have them but most of my weapons do..

·
Registered
70 Posts
A rifle should double as a hunting piece also. Survival marksmanship can require knock downs as far out as 600 yards. I have a variable scope on my SKS set for 300 yards. That will make a hit on anything withing that range. I use an 8MM Mouser ( original combat setup) with a 24 X scope good for 1200 yards. Hint on scoping an SKS, AK, and like weapons. The receiver cover is often loose or will be very highly inaccurate for scopes. Drill and tap a small hole between the the cover and receiver on each side. Put in short screws.this will keep the cover in the same position every shot. They must be removed before a take down.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
All are carbines for the most part. Limited range, made for fighting at fighting distance. I say put on them whatever helps you hit the target. Knowing how to use irons effectively though makes for a more effective fighter should their optic break or they transfer to using a rifle without them. I don't like owning long guns without them, Which is why my newest shotgun has a tritium rifle sight barrel for home defense also. Optics can give a person more precision though and when a long gun is topped with an illuminated optic now the darkness is not so blinding for what goes bump in the night.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I met a guy a few years ago that "read a lot of books" and was an EXPERT at firearms. Or so he thought. He was telling me about his XD 9 that he said was the best pistol in the world. Come to find out it was the only one he ever fired. It had a red laser sight and that is what he learned with and never used irons or learned how. From what he told me himself. Then he went to the 1911 and now he thinks he is a 1911 guru.. But still says he "has no need" for iron sights.. People like this just baffle me! He has plenty of money, probably too much for his own good. And buys the next coolest thing on the internet.
He went and got an AR a while back and before I moved to Montana, he asked me to go shooting. I took him to some private land I am allowed to hunt. he showed up with an AR that had every accessory you could think of. I set a few targets out and we did some shooting. I was shooting targets at 50yds with my 1911 he couldn't hit with his AR. He was too busy trying to dial in corrections on a scope he had no idea how to use. I wasn't trying to show off or anything but I was letting him know it takes practice,practice and then more practice.. Perfect practice makes perfect.. It's not the accessories you have on it, it is how you use what you have..

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have one of the upper end AR specific Nikon set ups. It's an excellent set of glass but destined to be swapped out. I don't have an AK, but I do have an SKS that I don't see getting optics.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have one of the upper end AR specific Nikon set ups. It's an excellent set of glass but destined to be swapped out. I don't have an AK, but I do have an SKS that I don't see getting optics.
Nikon m-223? I have the M-308 on a bolt rifle I just put together for my fiance and I like it very much so far..

·
Registered
855 Posts
I met a guy a few years ago that "read a lot of books" and was an EXPERT at firearms. Or so he thought. He was telling me about his XD 9 that he said was the best pistol in the world. Come to find out it was the only one he ever fired. It had a red laser sight and that is what he learned with and never used irons or learned how. From what he told me himself. Then he went to the 1911 and now he thinks he is a 1911 guru.. But still says he "has no need" for iron sights.. People like this just baffle me! He has plenty of money, probably too much for his own good. And buys the next coolest thing on the internet.
He went and got an AR a while back and before I moved to Montana, he asked me to go shooting. I took him to some private land I am allowed to hunt. he showed up with an AR that had every accessory you could think of. I set a few targets out and we did some shooting. I was shooting targets at 50yds with my 1911 he couldn't hit with his AR. He was too busy trying to dial in corrections on a scope he had no idea how to use. I wasn't trying to show off or anything but I was letting him know it takes practice,practice and then more practice.. Perfect practice makes perfect.. It's not the accessories you have on it, it is how you use what you have..
The world is full of people like that, they figured if it's easier to get hits with the laser why bother with sights. What they don't realize is one day that fancy laser isn't going to work and if they can't get hits on target without it they're as good as dead.

I've got an older Bushnell 1.5-4.75x on my Mini-14 with the factory iron sights as backups, I still need to change out the scope rings to a set of QD rings. The SKS wears it's original iron sights although I'm considering throwing a tech sight rear on it, there will be no scope on this. Mostly I consider these 200yds (max) guns although I could stretch that a bit with the Mini, anything beyond that and I'd go to one of my other scoped rifles. I'm a big proponent of low power variables on fighting rifles, 1-4x24 is about right on any rifle that may need to serve as a defensive weapon, it'll make transitioning between targets easier and the larger field of view in a low power scope will help you avoid tunnel vision. But the main reason for a low power variable is that at lower magnification you can shoot with both eyes open which could be critical in a defensive situation, this is also the reason why I like iron sights on combat rifles.

-Infidel

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Yeppers. Almost too nice to swap out, lol.
I know what ya mean. I put the Nikon M-308 on the Remington 700 aac-sd for her and got it zeroed. I have NEVER been a fan of the BDC reticle but have to say, I am very impressed with it. Nikon has the Spot On program online for free and it works awesome. I have put 3 into the same hole in just the first few rounds. I am with you on this...

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I know what ya mean. I put the Nikon M-308 on the Remington 700 aac-sd for her and got it zeroed. I have NEVER been a fan of the BDC reticle but have to say, I am very impressed with it. Nikon has the Spot On program online for free and it works awesome. I have put 3 into the same hole in just the first few rounds. I am with you on this...
I have a Rem 700 in .308 on lay-a-way right now. I honestly hadn't thought about the M-308. Lotta scope for the money and leaves some $$$ for some other ideas.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Agree with above thoughts, sks and ar, iron sights, m1a-uses glass. Exact reasons I like to have the ar and sks, beat the heck (physically, ie: throw in the bed of your truck)out of them and they still perform. I see no need for optics on everything. Shtf means things are gonna get abused. Unless you only have one.:)

·
Super Moderator
9,674 Posts
I was always an iron sights guy. There comes a time when the vision is not what it used to be. I am going the glass route. I started with a Vortex Strikeforce, shot it once and bought an Eotech. I have Nikon on my 30.06, lasers on the Springfields and a red dot on the STI. Still wish I could focus on the irons.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Because an AR in the right hands can reach out to 600 meter, and an AK or SKS are lucky to be effective at half that you have two different ways to look at it.
Also mounting a scope or sight on an Ak is not as simple to do correctly.
For short range any quality red dot flex sight will server you well and with a bit of time at the range you will shoot better and faster.
You will never out shoot a trained shooter, with iron sights if that shooter is using a good reflex sight just can not be done .
For an AR if you can afford an ACOG and spent time learning to use it What would bet it.
Reflex sights like aim point and the EOTech have proven their effectiveness

1 - 20 of 44 Posts