Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:idea:

I just ID'd two big ol plants I originally thought were milk thistle. They are about chest high, perfect for harvesting. I'm saving all their seeds and pretty excited to try out a natural pain killer. (I am in NO shortage of nagging biting pain these days as my arthritis sets in where they worked on me) So, just a background on Opium lettuce. actuca virosa is a plant in the Lactuca (lettuce) genus, ingested often for its mild psychotropic (specifically hypnotic or sedative) effects which are often described as being similar to that of opium.[SUP][1][/SUP] It is related to common lettuce (L. sativa), and is often called Wild Lettuce, Bitter lettuce, Laitue vireuse, Opium Lettuce, Poisonous Lettuce, or Rakutu-Karyumu-So. It can be found locally in the south east and east of England. In the rest of Great Britain it is very rare, and in Ireland it is absent. It is also found in the Punjab Region of Pakistan India and Australia where it grows in the wild.
In North America, it has been documented as introduced in California, Alabama, Iowa, and Washington, DC, and grows wild in other parts of the continent.[SUP][2]

I have seen that they still to this day prescribe this AS opium to patients in France. Seeing as it's natural, free and perfectly legal, not to mention I got two big ass plants of it, this should be a very interesting venture. I'll let you know if it does anything or if it's a joke.
[/SUP]

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Hmm...where does one get seeds for those guys?

:idea:

I just ID'd two big ol plants I originally thought were milk thistle. They are about chest high, perfect for harvesting. I'm saving all their seeds and pretty excited to try out a natural pain killer. (I am in NO shortage of nagging biting pain these days as my arthritis sets in where they worked on me) So, just a background on Opium lettuce. actuca virosa is a plant in the Lactuca (lettuce) genus, ingested often for its mild psychotropic (specifically hypnotic or sedative) effects which are often described as being similar to that of opium.[SUP][1][/SUP] It is related to common lettuce (L. sativa), and is often called Wild Lettuce, Bitter lettuce, Laitue vireuse, Opium Lettuce, Poisonous Lettuce, or Rakutu-Karyumu-So. It can be found locally in the south east and east of England. In the rest of Great Britain it is very rare, and in Ireland it is absent. It is also found in the Punjab Region of Pakistan India and Australia where it grows in the wild.
In North America, it has been documented as introduced in California, Alabama, Iowa, and Washington, DC, and grows wild in other parts of the continent.[SUP][2]

I have seen that they still to this day prescribe this AS opium to patients in France. Seeing as it's natural, free and perfectly legal, not to mention I got two big ass plants of it, this should be a very interesting venture. I'll let you know if it does anything or if it's a joke.
[/SUP]

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm...where does one get seeds for those guys?
The fluffy seed pods after the flowers, they are like a dandelion or something. Look for lightly prickly saw shaped leaves and yellow flowers. I just tried some, you have to smoke it but I'll be damned if it didn't make my tongue a little numb and YES, I FEEL BETTER! I can't believe it. My foot isn't aching right now. Talk about a pleasant surprise! I'm sold. This would be a godsend for preppers or people afield. It doesn't even make you feel all high and groggy. A little light headed that's all.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: I managed to collect two little balls of the resin (and they were small) and tried another about an hour and a half ago and just now my foot is starting to ache again. For those of you who don't know, I have nine screws holding my heel on and two of them are misplaced- one runs through my Achilles tendon at the back of the foot and one is broken near the joint. It aches 24-7, 365 and twice as bad on a wet day. This stuff I dare say is a little bit magic. I was reading they will give it to kids for toothaches and injuries because it is the 'safe' opium substitute in France, the EU and some of the Nordic areas. It's not addictive or harsh but it contains most of the alkaloid compounds found in opium. It'll make you a little light headed and calm you down, maybe a bit of an anesthetic feeling but damn if it didn't really take the edge off. I am collecting ALL the seeds, I'm going to grow this stuff. As I understand it, I can co-plant it with corn because like some beans and dandelion it can affix nitrogen to the soil and it's a deterrent to pests. I felt good enough to go out, weed some, come back in, cook, juice some stuff left over in the fridge, cook dinner...this is a damn good find. For being natural and free it worked fairly damn well for awhile. Not to mention it's edible, kinda tasty and packed with vitamins. They also call it wild lettuce, the thorns are a little bit off-putting but your teeth crush them when you chew. I'm calling a win here. An old timer from Virginia told me about it, Bud Dempsey from the mrbudwv channel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts