Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently reading "One Second After" and it is scaring the crap out of me. This book is not a book of survival against Zombies or roving marauders (though, I have no doubt that they are coming). The first 2 thirds of the book (all I've read so far) details the battle between man and himself. The book portrays the difficult decisions that we are going to be faced with, should a situation of this nature ever come to pass. Primarily, the problems lie in feeding the populace, reestablishing some semblance of law, and in saving us from ourselves. I will tell you that this book is terrifying me.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
As preppers there are few here that wouldn't recognize an EMP event immediately, yet One Second After
portrays well how common people will respond. Few will think its anything more than a power outage until
they realize there is no cell phone, no vehicle, and when the city water tanks run dry - look out.

Most don't believe its feasible. I know the book has many errors as does any fiction. In such an event
there will be more operating vehicles, power will be restored in a lot less time (then in the book - I don't
want to give it away for you but they go a long time without power / contact). Some think this story line
and the government report that gave the author the idea are scare tactics and not reality? That is
debatable. I personally think if I were a Chinese General and told to conquer America - that's how I'd
do it - make it look like North Korea and Iran did it. Wait a year for 90% of America to die off then use
the remaining 10% to restore the farming to feed 250 million Chinese people.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me, the point of the book is not in the method of crisis delivery. I know that many debate EMP being feasible, but I think that whether or not an EMP can cause destruction is a pointless argument. Again, for me, the point of the book is the decisions that have to be made following a cataclysmic event that destroys our society as we know it. That is, after all, why we are on this and other prepping boards. We are preparing for disaster that will destroy the networks that we all depend on. I think that the author does a fantastic job of portraying how life might proceed, and the challenges that we will have to face following any long term shtf event.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Currently reading "One Second After" and it is scaring the crap out of me. This book is not a book of survival against Zombies or roving marauders (though, I have no doubt that they are coming). The first 2 thirds of the book (all I've read so far) details the battle between man and himself. The book portrays the difficult decisions that we are going to be faced with, should a situation of this nature ever come to pass. Primarily, the problems lie in feeding the populace, reestablishing some semblance of law, and in saving us from ourselves. I will tell you that this book is terrifying me.
As it should, because that is as close to what could happen as anything, IMO. Actual zombies is "science fiction" per se. But people going bonkers/zombie like total loss of common sense is probably closer to the truth.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
...the point of the book is the decisions that have to be made following a cataclysmic event that destroys our society as we know it..
The 1970's 'Survivors' TV series is a classic in that respect, I've never seen a show or film anywhere near as good. An accidental release of germs from a research lab kills off nearly everybody on earth and groups of survivors get together to try to survive as best they can.
In this clip Abby recovers from the fever and goes looking round her village to see if anybody else has survived-

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Let me make a suggestion. After you read "one second after", a great book, read "a time to betray" by Reza Khalili. No spoilers... So I won't tell you any more but just know that it's NOT fiction but a biography.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
A couple of other good reads in the same genre are 77 days and lights out... online at Amazon books. One second after was a good read and as with almost all apocalyptic books they seem to have just the right mix of people. I don't think it would be quite as simple if the real event were to occur...

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Reading the nes on line, (I.E. Fox news, Drudge Report, Info Wars, Prison Planet) scares the shit out of me.

When I want to feel better I look at NPR news.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have been reading Zombie fiction...it's addicting...lol
Might add that an E reader is really the way to go when it comes to getting the most selections. A lot of books I bought recently are available only online...particularly newer authors...good stuff!

·
Registered
37 Posts
"One Second After" should be mandatory in Highschool, very well written Book by an acclaimed Author, truly shows the consequence of not being prepared and the HUGEEEEE advantage of being.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your country baffles me, in Canada Animal farm, 1984, Lord of the flies, there all standard in Highschool English class, I actually can' think of a band book in school.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I decided I didn't want to spend 30 bucks for "One second after", . . . drove to my public library and picked it up, . . . read it, . . . took it back.

I like that price.

May God bless,
Dwight

1 - 20 of 36 Posts