Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This book is really well written. I listened to the audiobook on a trip. It is set in a small North Carolina town when the USA comes under an EMP attack. It shows how important leadership is to surviving this type of event. The forward is written by Newt Gingrich. The book really addresses a lot of what would happen afterward. I highly recommend it. I really wish that I could find more books like this.

img3468496920e3011f2.JPG

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah most preppers already know about this book; it is very popular among the preparedness/survival community. You are right though it really is a great book and very well written.

If you are looking for a similar novel then no doubt David Crawford's Light's Out should be next on your reading list (if you haven't already read it). This is another supremely popular book. It has more of a long epic saga feel to it. One Second After was pretty short.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This book is really well written. I listened to the audiobook on a trip. It is set in a small North Carolina town when the USA comes under an EMP attack. It shows how important leadership is to surviving this type of event. The forward is written by Newt Gingrich. The book really addresses a lot of what would happen afterward. I highly recommend it. I really wish that I could find more books like this.

View attachment 842
Ron Foster also has written some prepper books, he has a trilogy that I want to start reading but haven't got the books yet. They are on Amazon

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I've read and enjoyed one second after and lights out, another good one about life after an EMP is called 77 days. I read it as an Ebook so I can't say if its avaliable in print or not.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found an electronic copy of Light's Out - David Crawford. I'm reading it on my iPad. Great reading so far.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
One Second After is an incredible book and it's at the top of my list of post-apocalyptic books. One Second After is also the book I have given to more people than any other book because I believe it has some very important lessons in it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy **** this, Lights Out is a great book. I wished there was an audiobook but the e-book will do. Just when I think it can't get any better, it does. I'm halfway through. My new favorite part?

Everyone is arguing about what to do with the MZB they've captured when, 'Bam, bam, bam.' Three small holes appeared where seconds before had beat an MZB heart. The man's eyes stared disbelieving at the dark sky for a send then closed forever.

'There's my ****ing vote.' Ed said as if he had just ordered an ice-cream cone."

Now, I'm not sure whether I'd be slapping Ed on the back or taking away his weapon before anyone else got voted out but damn. This is good.

·
Super Moderator
8,573 Posts
He really is a good writer. I can't wait to read his next book Collision Course. Got it saved on amazon so I can get it the next time I place an order. Maybe it's time to get a reader. My wife has a Color Nook.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Holy **** this, Lights Out is a great book. I wished there was an audiobook but the e-book will do. Just when I think it can't get any better, it does. I'm halfway through. My new favorite part?

Everyone is arguing about what to do with the MZB they've captured when, 'Bam, bam, bam.' Three small holes appeared where seconds before had beat an MZB heart. The man's eyes stared disbelieving at the dark sky for a send then closed forever.

'There's my ****ing vote.' Ed said as if he had just ordered an ice-cream cone."

Now, I'm not sure whether I'd be slapping Ed on the back or taking away his weapon before anyone else got voted out but damn. This is good.
Ha, yeah that book gets better and better. There's some pretty intense scenes in it. My favorite character was Gunny. Love that old guy! I couldn't help but picture him as R.Lee Ermey the whole time though, haha.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is so funny because that is exactly who I was picturing as Gunny. Especially when he got his Jeep running.

·
Registered
436 Posts
An EMP that can cause the things in this book ( I have it and have read it ) can also happen due to a solar flare at just the correct angle. So it doesn't necessarily have to come for an attack. Life in general on this planet or any planet is precarious at best.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One question comes to mind after having read this book. Tell me how they got the older vehicles to run by changing out the points and other parts. How those parts sitting on the shelves of an auto parts store have been in any better condition than the parts in the vehicles?

·
Registered
61 Posts
One question comes to mind after having read this book. Tell me how they got the older vehicles to run by changing out the points and other parts. How those parts sitting on the shelves of an auto parts store have been in any better condition than the parts in the vehicles?
I've always wondered that myself?

·
Super Moderator
8,573 Posts
I wondered the same thing. An EMP is supposed to fry electronics in vehicles, etc. Older vehicles and diesels are supposed to be ok. My ham buddy has several old tube type radios that should work after a burst.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts