Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the main problems with American society, I personally believe, stems from the endining of the military draft.
The draft ended in the early 1970's. Notice how society began to go down hill in the early 70's?
Bringing back the draft would cure a number of societal ills, one of the biggest being the entitled, whiny, little snowflake mentality.
Let them have a taste of REAL life.

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Reactions: Bigfoot63

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The crawl of death.
Night infiltration course. About Week 6 of basic training.
The platoon crawls about 100 yards, under barb wire, and across open ground, with live machinegun fire overhead and explosive devices going off left and right.
Look closely and you'll see the poor SOB's crawling.
Parachute flares add to the scenario. And after you make it past the machine gun positions you stand up and do a bayonet charge on the dummys.
I LOVED it!!

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,063 Posts
How does one justify a draft in a country founded on individual liberty?

Just a question that has always bugged me.
Without a strong military, can you secure your country, and her citizen's liberty?
How can that be accomplished with an insufficiently sized fighting force?
How can a demand of service then be made for the cause of liberty without undermining liberty?

The conundrum has always bugged me...

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Learning how to become a team.

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing like going on a two mile run immediately after spaghetti for lunch.
The whole platoon, in formation, in step.
To this day, some 52 years later, I will never forget puking up spaghetti while running and remaining in formation, in step.

It builds character.
Kids today NEED this.

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Without a strong military, can you secure your country, and her citizen's liberty?
How can a demand of service then be made for the cause of liberty without undermining liberty?

Right now, we have less than 1% defending and protecting the other 99+%.
Do you think this is right?

Reactions: inceptor

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree that it would be good for the youth to serve a couple years, but not everyone is right for the military.
The Ruskies tried that, and they had a 3rd rate army. Sure, they were a paper tiger during the cold war, but they were never really all that.

If I were king of the country, I'd lean towards a system that required everyone to serve at least 2 years in some type of public service. Not just military service, but DMV or road works or any of the thousands of positions that need staffing. Not everyone is fit to be a soldier, but they can learn some about what keeps America going by working other positions.

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
I remember my senior year in highschool. A gaggle of us were talking about what we were going to do, next. Lawyers, doctors, etc. I was the lone voice that said the U.S. Army.
I looked at one of the guys who said he was going to be a lawyer (he's now a lawyer in Atlanta) if he weren't going to serve, first. He said, "I ain't going to go to no damned army, I'm going to make money!"
I remember his exact words because those words floored me. How could he think that way when we are facing the Soviet threat?
Understand, I come from a military family, so I didn't think like civilian kids.

I wouldn't want to have served with that bastard.

Brother, you are looking at the military from your experience with it. Times have changed. The military is no longer what you remember.
A buddy at work who is a relatively recently retired first sergeant would correct you on the notion that the military is the place to send a kid to learn discipline and all that.
He would not suggest to any of his friends that they should allow their children to join the military unless they want their children inundated with PC and social justice crap.

There are no more places where we can send our children to learn what you and I know they need to learn. The only places for them to learn anything is from us older people.

·
Registered
168 Posts
While I have great respect for anyone that has served, I do not think that the ending of the draft is the cause of our problems.

I do believe a lack of discipline and respect is. I do not mean punishment discipline, but discipline learned in military that used to be taught in schools. Probably the last bastion where it is still taught is sports.

I fall into the 2 year category where you didn’t have to register for the draft. I often have been asked which branch I served. People seem shocked that I didn’t

Maybe it was my upbringing, maybe it was the sports. When I coached, I instilled the respect and taught the discipline.

That is what is missing in most youngsters these days.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Lol>>>>lol^^^^^

Reactions: Denton

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,063 Posts
With all due respect, that doesn't address the concern I mentioned.
Rights are not supposed to be subject to circumstance.
If I am guaranteed the right to liberty, how does a draft not implicitly threaten that right?
I'm looking at this purely from a philosophical perspective.

Practically speaking, recruiting for a conflict is pretty obvious. Without the numbers, you just can't win.

But from a philosophical standpoint, the draft appears antithetical to the ideals of liberty.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

If I am guaranteed the right to liberty, how does a draft not implicitly threaten that right?

Practically speaking, recruiting for a conflict is pretty obvious. Without the numbers, you just can't win.

But from a philosophical standpoint, the draft appears antithetical to the ideals of liberty.
But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.
That Bible verse is a quote from Jesus, service to and for others, versus self service; that tells the tale of whether you have done the right thing ; and whether you will be thought of as great. The man who has served in the Army, is greater than one who has not.

And that goes for service to others, in a humanitarian sense. But humanitarian service does not involve any hazard, to life and limb; combat service is one of the greatest of hazardous duties.

Because of its nature , combat jeopardizes your life: and that with, chancing dismemberment, is one the greatest services, that can be performed for a nation. And it trumps the rights of individuals and individualities of rights. It is the antithesis of the demanding of rights, it is the laying down of rights, in order to serve the people of the nation.

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
One of the main problems with American society, I personally believe, stems from the endining of the military draft.
The draft ended in the early 1970's. Notice how society began to go down hill in the early 70's?
Bringing back the draft would cure a number of societal ills, one of the biggest being the entitled, whiny, little snowflake mentality.
Let them have a taste of REAL life.

Were you drafted or did you enlist?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts

I have always thought that it was one of the duties of citizenship to go and fight when your country needs you to go and fight. Now to do so needlessly, as in the leaders of your country is starting wars with countries that do not threaten the security of the American People, is an abuse of power, and, in my mind, negates the obligation. I think, to your question on the ideals of liberty and the draft, one would have the liberty to denounce citizenship in the event of a draft, and at that point could get their punk-asses out of the country and never come back. America has enough cowards as it is.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts