Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

One for the Ladies here...

6K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  GTGallop 
#1 · (Edited)
Big Mama has decided she wants a gun for CCW/Home Defense...What do you ladies recommend?

She is a old gray haired lady about 65, not a gun freak, but takes directions well. Cant probably handle any more recoil than a 9mm max, would probably struggle racking a slide if it took more than a little bit of effort...ie, I doubt she could rack the slide on my M9 or 1911. CC would probably be keeping the gun in her purse. Home defense would probably involve shooting no further than across the living room of a mobile home. The area she resides in is pretty quiet crime wise. I would like to keep the caliber 9mm or better and a capacity of 7 rounds or better. Besides I am sure I will be supplying the ammo and I have tons of 9mm and 45 ACP but no 380, 38 Spl etc... She would probably practice with it enough to hit what she is shooting at but I don't think her and the ladies at the church are going to be hitting the range very often for Tea and pastries and burning up a box of ammo a week. She is on a fixed income so price is a serious consideration as I am already paying several of the bills for her and I cant even afford to buy myself a gun right now really and I will probably be buying this one for her. So a 600 plus dollar Glock compact with laser is out of the question here.

I looked at the Ruger P95 and liked it a lot although it was a bit big. The price was nice though and it was pretty nice otherwise. I looked at the LC9 from Ruger a Smith auto loader maybe the M&P cant remember and the Taurus 709 was nice price and size wise...just leary of a Taurus.

What do you LADIES (who actually carry) suggest to fill the bill here?

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't suggest one for her, but I can suggest one not to get. I carry a S&W 38 and it has a bit of a kick. I really like it for myself but think it would be a bit much for her. If she does do the carry bit there are some very nice purses made just for that.

#6 ·
Hows the recoil on that baby in 9 mm? I really like the price on it, its compact size and it seemed easy to manipulate. Rossi/Taurus just doesn't exactly have the customer service reputation that Ruger has. I have the PT-99 and its been a real champ for me over the years, I just haven't heard a lot of good about them. Some swear by them others have cursed them.

#8 · (Edited)
Im a guy and what I would get would be completely different from what she should probably get. For example I carry a full size 5 inch barreled all steel 1911 and I am quiet comfortable with its weight and size and find 185gr +P+ Corbon loads quiet manageable. Im a bit worried that a compact 9mm would be a little on the rude side for her recoil wise. Shes not really a petite woman, but she aint 19 anymore strength wise either. I really liked the Ruger P95 but think that's a little too heavy to lug around all the time and its probably not too conducive to pulling it out of a purse either. Since I am not a metrosexual and carry a man purse I don't have a clue what would work best.

#9 ·
Are you suggesting a no go on the revolvers in 38 Spl or better? I did see a midsized ported Rossi 38/357 and thought some mild 38 loads wouldn't be too bad but that gun was probably a bit big to be considered for daily carry as was the P-95. I was thinking too as high as the barrel sets off the shooters hand that recoil might be a bit of a wrist wrencher.

I didn't think about the special made purses though so I am glad you brought that up and I haven't yet met a woman that wouldn't entertain shopping for a new purse, ha ha ha.

#10 ·
The 709 is manageable. I had to drop to it from my Taurus .45s due to wrist injury.
Taurus is my brand, though they have earned a bad customer srvice reputation. They are working on that problem. I own several models and calibers and haven't had a reason to contact them knock on wood.
The .380 made by them might not be the hest idea, not if you want a safety.

#11 ·
I keep a rugger mark II by my bed side. Very easy to handle with a good balance and not to heavy, and super accurate even for long distances due to the longer barrel. However not really a gun for a purse.
if she was using for home defense this is what I would recommend if you can find one. I don't see them very often but when I do they are pretty reasonable. Maybe $250-300

#12 ·
Beretta used to make a tip barrel .380. It eliminates racking the slide as long as there is no FTF, also has multiple primer strike capability. I think it was the M84FS, I was looking for one for a family member with arthritis.

#15 ·
get a revolver no slide or safety to manipulate my wife loves her S&W 686 she carries and sleeps with it on the night stand and I have to ask her if I can Take it to the gun range we went through many autos before she confiscated my 686 ( still have all the autos good trade )

Reactions: Meangreen
#17 ·
I too am not a lady, but I also love the Taurus. My aunt has been getting worse in her ability to rack the slide. She asked me to help her find a revolver, she already has a .38. So I found the SR .22 she bought one and loves it. I know there is a lot of people that don't think a .22 is good enough, but if all your shot are almost in the same hole it will leave a mark. They have since came out with a .22 magnum. Hope she finds what she is looking for.

#19 ·
If you want to get a woman a gun that she likes take her to a range that rents guns and shoot a few. She can handle the guns, fondle them a bit and ask what colors they come in and then she can shoot a few. Get the one she picks out for herself or you are going to buy a gun that neither of you want.

Reactions: Mish
#21 ·
Guys, we don't stand a chance in picking out a gun that a woman will like - she needs to be the one to pick it out.

Reactions: inceptor
#27 ·
I feel another "slap" coming. I'm headed for cover.

Reactions: Mish
#38 ·
My wife went back to a 38 revolver. Problems with her hand made griping the slide on an auto to much work.
.38 revolver light weight low recoil plenty of rounds to pick from . Works well for many

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.