Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a smaller home, and finding room for food storage is difficult. I need a place to store my dry goods like pastas, beans, rice, and oats. I have a detached garage that is NOT air conditioned, and a couple of old refrigerators that no longer work. I know that fridges are somewhat air tight but, would I be ok to use these old refrigerators in my garage to store these shorter term food items, that I'll be rotating out periodically, and replenishing them as they are used. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I need a place to store my dry goods like pastas, beans, rice, and oats.
I have not experienced problems with the long storage of pasta and rice at a temperature of about 20-25 degrees Celsius and often with reduced humidity.
Products were not in hermetic packaging, just in plastic boxes with covers.

What fluctuations in temperature and humidity in your garage?
Personally, I would be afraid of wet air and condensate formation even in conventionally hermetic non-working old refrigerators, if this can happen in your conditions.
If I correctly understood the question, of course.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'd fill up a couple of 2 liter soda bottles 85% full freeze them solid and then place them in the old fridges. Rotate frozen for thawed every few days. You've now got yourself an environment that you can store some veggies, liquids, meds etc.........

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
I have an old refrigerator out in the barn as a large ammo can.
Wife uses a non working chest freezer as a canned goods storage container.

Reactions: Towerofpower

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,630 Posts
Without airflow or moisture control, you're asking for a headache. Every time you open the door, you're potentially letting in moisture. Once sealed, if there is any temperature gradient inside, you will get condensate. You'll need to manage this with a dehumidifier solution, like those used in fireproof gun safes.

·
Super Moderator
3,480 Posts
Raise your bed and use that area. Make a coffee table out of a wooden shipping box. Use the bottom of your closet with something similar to a drawer. You can put the shoes and stuff on the top of it. Get free standing cabinets and put them wherever you can.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Without airflow or moisture control, you're asking for a headache. Every time you open the door, you're potentially letting in moisture. Once sealed, if there is any temperature gradient inside, you will get condensate. You'll need to manage this with a dehumidifier solution, like those used in fireproof gun safes.

Three little words: Silica kitty litter.

Five bucks at Wally World.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,630 Posts
Three little words: Silica kitty litter.

Five bucks at Wally World.
Yep, that's a good idea.
Can that stuff be reused? In theory, it should be possible. Just need the right settings(heat, airflow, time) to evaporate out the water.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Yep, that's a good idea.
Can that stuff be reused? In theory, it should be possible. Just need the right settings(heat, airflow, time) to evaporate out the water.
Absotively posilutely. Just spread it out on a cookie sheet and toss it in the over at it's lowest temperature for a couple hours.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I live in a smaller home, and finding room for food storage is difficult. I need a place to store my dry goods like pastas, beans, rice, and oats. I have a detached garage that is NOT air conditioned, and a couple of old refrigerators that no longer work. I know that fridges are somewhat air tight but, would I be ok to use these old refrigerators in my garage to store these shorter term food items, that I'll be rotating out periodically, and replenishing them as they are used. Thanks a bunch.
Should work just fine.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Storage space is always an issue. I have a couple of sheds with some cabinets with empty space. I finally put cleaning & personal hygiene products out there, just to make more space inside for food.

Just in case there are any marauders that come snooping around, they can have what's outside. They'll have a fight on their hands for what's inside.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts