Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Old-Fashioned Prepping Item...

5K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Kidzthinkimahoarder 
#1 ·
Lanterns! I love these things. While I have many flashlights, headlamps, etc., nothing can replace the feeling of a good 'ol fashioned lantern. Camp fuel is easy and cheap to store and will outlast battery operated lights.

These particular vintage Coleman lanterns are dated 1959 and 1963 and still going strong! 100% made in America from a time when things were built to last. I just couldn't bring myself to buy today's plastic-made-in-China when there are still a bunch of these pieces of Americana laying around. Still plenty of them on ebay...buy them while you still can! Old yes, but I trust these things more than anything currently on the shelves at Walmart. I think lanterns are great pieces of survival/prepping gear that shouldn't be overlooked. Anyway, on with the pics...

See less See more
#4 ·
Ya, once the silk mantles have been burned they are fragile.......
but amazingly stable and tough at the same time.....
somewhat of an oxymoron.....
I have used them all my life.....
The only thing missing in the picture.....
is an old red single mantle !!!

[The globes are Pyrex....and I can't say
I have ever broken one]

#5 ·
Floundering....shrimping.....gigging.....camping.....
WOW !!! The pics bring back such memories !

#7 ·
I have one oil and one normal candle lamp that was made in the sovjet side of berlin during the 60's, I use the oil one every night and the candle one is attached to my BOB.
Nice, you got any pics of them ?
[hey Alexander.....you doing well ?]
You have any gjetost ?

#8 ·
Gjetost and flatbread.......yum

Alex, if you are still on the farm......
how far are you from a big city ?

#11 ·
Yeah, I would love to see them.
In the 70's I had an oil lamp from the Soviet Union that
was brass.....and it shined like it was silver-plated.
Maybe it was, and the plating had just been worn off over time.

#13 ·
I hate to say it but i have 20 of them, along with 1,2 and 3 burner stoves.

I used to collect them and restore them a while back. Generators are getting hard to find for some models.

A word of advise for you who own them, after lighting, when generator is hot, open the valve all the way.

You need to function the valve needle in the bottom of the tank, otherwise it may get stuck in the closed position.

Also have 2 dozen aladdin mantel lamps most from the thirties, all are restored and working.

Have 150 gal of kero for them.

#17 ·
I hate to say it but i have 20 of them, along with 1,2 and 3 burner stoves.

I used to collect them and restore them a while back. Generators are getting hard to find for some models.

A word of advise for you who own them, after lighting, when generator is hot, open the valve all the way.

You need to function the valve needle in the bottom of the tank, otherwise it may get stuck in the closed position.

Also have 2 dozen aladdin mantel lamps most from the thirties, all are restored and working.

Have 150 gal of kero for them.
Aladdin made some very elegant kerosene lighting.......

#18 ·
Real pretty, brake easy. I definitely see were you coming from though, and with prepping its all about what suits your needs best. If you find that camp lamps work for you then buy a ton.

-Anthony

#19 · (Edited)
I have several Coleman Lanterns but none of them is as bright as a petromax they work differently then a Coleman and go back to WW-1. I bought two of them they are chrome plated and are beautiful you almost hate to get them dirty. They are a multi-fuel lantern and are used in the US Army.

From an off the grid site.
Yet another OTG (Off the Grid) must have, the BriteLyt Petromax Style Lantern. Maybe not for the Snorkel Tub, but you're gonna need some light in your Yurt, TeePee, Cabin, Tent, Airstream or Bunker. Purportedly the brightest lantern in the world, the BriteLyt is solid brass and multifuel (capable of burning Diesel, Gas, Kero, Veg Oil etc). Manufactured and supported in the United States, the Britelyt is apparently the lantern of choice for U.S. troops in Afghanistan. Although it is also available in polished brass or chrome (left), I personally like the utilitarian flat grey of the military model below, lanterns aren't intended to be fancy. Link www.britelyt.com

#21 ·
Places like Lehman's have been supplying old style lamps for years that use wicks and will last a life time.
My concern is no type of fuel is going to last long ,so I am working on not relaying on it in any form

#22 ·
places like lehman's have been supplying old style lamps for years that use wicks and will last a life time.
My concern is no type of fuel is going to last long ,so i am working on not relaying on it in any form
people need to learn to render down animal fat into tallow for candles.

This can also be done with corn soy and others for lamp oil.

The only drawback with grains is you need a press to extract it.

#28 ·
I love the old pump up colemans. My dad had one that he used to feed the livestock in the winter. He got home from work after dark, and had no electric in the barn, so the old Coleman lit the way. nevr forget that "hiss" they made, and so bright. When I grew up I had to have one. Also got a few cheap hurricane lanterns. I light them and hang on the front porch in summertime, burning citronella oil the keeps the mosquitoes away provide a little light and lots of ambience.

#29 ·
I'll tell you guys one thing, a little OT but Coleman is a great company with very robust stuff. My dad has an old two burner stove that's over 40 years old and still goes strong to this day. Never once had a rebuilt kit installed either, all original.

If I were to buy a lantern, it would be coleman no doubt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.