Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I maintain a large potable water supply (185 days+) it will eventually have to be replaced and my plans for that are two fold. (#1), I live in close proximately (less than 1 mile) to two large natural springs and several spring fed streams that run year long even during summer droughts. (#2), I plan on utilizing the 420 gals of water I maintain year around into gray water and also for plant/crop irrigation purposes. I will resupply this source via rain water run off and have the equipment on hand to make that conversion. Now, here is the sticky part. Eventually no matter where my water source comes from after 185 days of so I will to have a method to filter my drinking water and want a reliable filter to do this. I prefer that it be a portable system and don't want to spend a ton of bucks on it. Hell I guess maybe I want to adopt one!! I want to see what you guys and gals have used and recommend.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.....keep the recommendations coming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also agree on the Berkey filters. We have owned one for nearly three years and just love it. They are a bit pricey but well worth the cost IMO. Maintenance is easy and it just plain works. We keep a minimum of two spare sets of filters on hand just in case. However, one set of filters has lasted us for well over two years with normal upkeep. Keep in mind we are running clear water(not cloudy) through it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK for you long time Berkey users how long or maybe how many gallons of water will a set of filters last you?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look what I scored today on Craigslist!! A AquaRain drip water filter, similar to a Berkey and in fact can even use Berkey black filters. This is a model 402 and can either use 2 or 4 filters. With 4 filters it will purify 1 gal of water in 15 to 20 mins. It lists new for $239.99 but I got it for a whopping $25.00!!! It was a wedding gift that the young couple never felt the need for and started out wanting $50.00 for it. I have cleaned it all up and it looks like new and is ready to go as is but I will order 4 new Berkey black filters for it and store them until needed.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Not sure if this is place for this. But for the lightest and quickest water treatment I use a Steripen. I sometime go through the red river gorge with just a Steripen and zip bag for the fastest travel time.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
ok for you long time berkey users how long or maybe how many gallons of water will a set of filters last you?
i have a big berkey with 4 filters in it.
They will last up to 12,000 gallons before replacement.
I have been using now for 5 years.
It will produce 7 gal per hour.
I have 2 sets (total of 8) of spare filters for it.
I use it everyday for potable water.
I also have a homebuilt system that will do 200 gal a day.
It just does not fit on the kitchen counter.
It is held in reserve and will treat 200,000 gallons before recharge.

If you are you are using cloudy water, i would suggest a pretreatment.
you can make it from 2, 5 gal pails and at least one lid.
you will need a piece of 1/4" screen to fit the bottom of the pail.
a colander to fit the pail with about 2 inch clearance on all sides.
sand from a swimming pool filter and a cotton pillow case king size.
you should be able to figure out the assembly.

for a last resort i have a still made from a beer keg that will do 15 gallons at a time.
it can be recharged without cooling by a hand pump in a closed system.
god help me if it comes to using it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've heard really good things about the Camelbak All Clear, and plan to pick one up soon for my BOB and maybe one for my EDC pack.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have NDUR 502010
61CveDLEPsL._SL1500_.jpg
Filter life: up to 100 gallons or more depending on source water
Removes up to 99.9999% of Viruses, Bacteria, and E-Coli
Removes up to 99.99% of Chromium 6, Chlorine, Lead, Mercury, Cadmium, Aluminum, and Copper

and Katydyn Ceramic Mini
71BtgjBDCmL._SL1500_.jpg
Katadyn Mini, BlackThe lightest, most compact filter on the market- Small size fits in coat pocket or waist pack- Best for solo use, travel and day hiking- Exclusive silver impregnated ceramic lasts up to 2000 gallons- Microfiltration Method: Field cleanable 0.2 micron ceramic depth filter - Output: 0.5 quarts (0.5 liters/minute)- Cartridge Capacity: Up to 2,000 gallons (7000 liters), depending on water quality - Weight: 8 oz - Height: 7- Includes: Prefilter, Bottle Clip, Carry Bag, Measuring Gauge and Cleaning Pad

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I prefer a gravity filter rather than a pump as I am lazy and do not plan to be moving so I have time to let it work.

The thing is to have something as many in Puerto Rico will tell you today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts