Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I'm new to your website as of 2019/11/22. I'm an 87 year old male, comfortable with a number of firearms who raised chickens as a kid, hopped freight trains to ride to the Cleveland,OH zoo to sell ice cream or peanuts at the ballfields. (age 7-8) Spent time in USAF early fifties, did about 40 years in public education and now want to learn more about ham radio and staying alive stuff so I don't get too senile. (Maybe not become more senile?) I'm always opinionated but open for your influence and guidance. The only blatantly "Know-it-All" I pay attention to is myself. SO....., I'm looking forward to the many things I'll learn from the experienced and talented folks on this Forum. Thanks for the opportunity.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
Welcome Charlie!

Would love to hear stories about you hopping freight trains and going to the old ballparks! I guess that would have been in the 1940's or so? Sounds like you've done a darn good job of staying alive without our help!

Thanks, your new friend Slippy! :vs_wave:

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,635 Posts
Howdy, and welcome!

Always good to get new perspectives in the mix. Coming to learn is fine and dandy, but offering up what you know too is the price of admission.
We'll show you ours if you'll show us yours!

:vs_cool:

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
The only old man you have to worry about is the one who is trotting around with a bunch of young guys in a profession where early death is a given.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Welcome, I would say if you make it to 87 you have a right to be opinionated .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the group from southern AZ
Southern AZ is beautiful you lucky fella. Loved the Desert Museum and LaFuente restaurant. Cooked cactus and their strolling musicians were wonderful. At least one visit per winter 20 years or so. Sold our home in Sun City West a year ago. Too long a drive here to there! But do miss it. Stay safe down there. That beauty comes with a bite sometimes and I don't mean rattlesnakes.
Charlie

·
Administrator
15,111 Posts
Welcome Charlie!
Thank you for serving our country.

And it's really great you are 87, that means Dwight and I aren't the only "Old Geezers" here anymore. :tango_face_smile:

Some times these young 'uns make me scratch my head.

Reactions: Slippy and dwight55

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Welcome to the party! Watch out for him ^^^^

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Howdy from Texas! Watch out for this one ^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Welcome Charlie...as a youngin that grew up in a town called junction city, I know a bit about hobo-in down the lines. I'm an old army communications guy trained in military HF radios and antenna building...the kind you do out in the field...not so much the bigger stuff the ham folks get into. SOCOM and some other here can talk your ears off about radios....Inor and other can talk your ears off about chickens and farming. Old brothers RPD and Denton can talk your ears off about living.... and Slippy, me and some others can try to keep you entertained enough to make you come back for the next show.

Lil Mish will remind you of what lost youth was like, Baglady can teach you all about determination and resolution. Some of these other cats....well....don't feed strays I say....but...it does keep the rats away. Welcome.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Well, . . . darn, . . .

I got the quip in about old men, . . . fergot to say welcome aboard, . . .

Grab an ammo can or crate, . . . sit a spell, . . .

Deebo and Sasquatch will be by sooner or later to amuse us, . . . or antagonize us, . . . depends on the day I guess.

Anyway, . . . glad you're here.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
50 Posts
opinionated but open for influence, interesting ;) Welcome!

Reactions: dwight55

·
Administrator
15,111 Posts
opinionated but open for influence, interesting ;) Welcome!
Most of us old farts are opinionated.
that's for sure.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Opinionated? Well, I can admit to telling one how the cow ate the cabbage every now and again. :vs_smile:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts