Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife, of 26 years, is saying that a swimming pool is a great prepper idea. I asked her why she said its 15 thousand gallons of stored water. How do I argue that point. Any thoughts for fellow preppers on this idea......

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
This was just recently discussed, the only problem I see is if you use pool treatment with antimicrobials in it, that is harmful to your system

A good way to get rid of the bleach smell is to put it in buckets and let is sit for a day or 2, the chlorine will evaporate with time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry missed the earlier post, lol I am trying to please the wife. Any other good or bad suggestions..

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I think it would be great for sanitation uses and drinking if it is the last resort. I also think it would be a big target for others that are out of water. I like my preps hidden.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Ok, here is the anti-wife discussion

When the SHTF 15 thousand gallons of water is not much good, maybe 2-3 months before it is either taken or contaminated.

The concept behind prepping is to become self sufficient so you need to have a reliable source of water for YEARS not weeks. So if the wife is saying lets put in a pool, its a good prep then sorry she is wrong.

If you have a pool then it is a good prep but only for a very short term.

Water WILL be the number 1 concern if the SHTF so have a infinite source and a way to make it drinkable. The only reliable way is a well and a filtration system, open sources will quickly become unreliable.

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
It is awsome if you plan on using it to swim. Fitness is great, and swimming is a great exercise.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Like I said above it could be used to flush toilets, even if not drinkable. Most sewer systems work on gravity so you could probably use your toilet for a long time. All you need to do is have a 3 gallon bucket to flush the toilet with. Also could be used for wash yourself and clothes freeing up your drinkable water. At least 90% of the water we use is not for drinking. You would also have a 15000 gallon water catchment system, and with a little enginuity you could make it drinkable. Could be your biggest barter resource.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input I know that we would probably never BO as we don't have a BOL, so we would stay put we live in a fairly rural area but in a small sub division. On just one acre that is totally privacy fenced so that peeping eyes don't see or know everYthing we are doing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts