Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member to this forum, however I have lurked here for a while, as well as other prepper forums. I am a US Veteran, and I agree with many of the members here. I read a couple of threads on other forums about a symbol. They came up with a P!. I as many do not agree with something like this. The symbol screams prepper, or in some circles, prisoner, police, or has other meanings. I have in fact done some more digging and I have found what some are calling the Official prepper symbol. I was so skeptical, and I was thinking this was still about the P!, until I read about it, saw it, and I love it. The thing I like about it is the fact that it is not easily decoded...The symbol has meaning and a story behind it. I bought the symbol and have it on my car. Do I believe in opsec....of course, do I believe in a network, yes... however I think it is difficult to just ask people if they prep.... I see Marine stickers on cars all of the time, as I have one on mine, and we nod at each other at stoplights, wave to each other on the freeway, etc...and we get it. I guess it will be up to each individual if they decide to display the symbol, as I know everyone has thier own feelings in this subject, but whoever came up with it really hits the mark in my opinion, and if you want to know what it looks like, check out my avatar. I do not have a bigger image of it to put on here, but I guess I could take a pic of my car...if you are interested in the meaning, I can regurgitate it in another post....just seeing if anyone else has heard of this, and what everyones opinions are.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I have not encountered any symbols for Preppers as a group anywhere. Personally, I prefer to be in cognito - blending in is better than standing out, in my experience.

I would be concerned that a symbol could be used for identifying people as belonging to a group, so I would veer away from that. Blend in, and fade out when you get the chance....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your comments are so true, and I do not blame you. That is precisely why we have issues in Afghanistan, they blend in and fade out. Thanks for the reply. I think it blends in on the car because as I was driving home from work today, I noticed almost everyone had something on the back. I saw so many symbols, mine had to just be one in the crowd. I

·
Super Moderator
9,496 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'm with Verteidiger. I would just as soon not be noticed. I have no stickers. The only identifying thing on my vehicle is my radio operators plates. I have those for emergency use since I do volunteer work for my county.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ah Ha!

But there is a lot of SYMBOLS on vehicles possibly pointing out Preppers!

DONT TREAD ON ME....... bumperstickers

Anything regarding the second amendment....

ALEX JONES and INFOWARS (Not only are you possibly a prepper BUT! in most peoples eyes but an tin foil hat wearing ignorant dip-shit too LOL!)

Anything with the Tea Party is a pretty good sign....

Anything crapping on Obama is a fair sign (I gotta admit that would be a hard one to remove!)

Anything right wing is a fair sign as well!

Best to keep your opinions in your head and off the rear of your car...anytime you put something on your car your becoming a TARGET of someone that don't like what you have to say. We just don't need that kind of attention!

Dont want anyone to know you have guns? Why the hunting stickers?....Ammo /gun brand stickers...Deer skulls and such? Why a sportsmans license plate?

I'f you look at my car I'm just boring as hell....Just a US ARMY Retired License plate! About the only people that would hate me is Muslims and that's OK by me!

I don't even have amateur radio decals and such and no external antenna's that didn't come with my car...Why would I want people to know I possibly have thousands of dollars of radio equipment at home?

Less is better!

None is BEST!

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I actually like a big red "E"....Ive ofetn thought of manufacturing some...ready...Equuiped....

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
My symbol will be a flourishing and safe family in the midst of chaos and danger. You won't recognize it because you will never see it - it will stay hidden.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Id be interested to hear the story behind it too.

I dont like advertising but I could see some benefits in having a way to figure out whos who and what side they are on. While such a symbol might advertise that your a prepper it doesnt neccessarily indicate to the extent, just your association. That might be a good thing. I know I would be more inclined to help out a fellow prepper than I would joe sho off the street. Its just like that USMC sticker...if you served, you understand and when you pass someone with it on their window your right you look at them and you kinda give each other that knowing nod as you pass each other. Nothing has to be said and you know where you both stand. Such a sticker on the back of an SUV in middle suburbia with the other stickers of a stick figure family and of course the sticker of your sons name and number on a foot ball would fit right in with the average american and not draw to much attention. You could slide right under the radar of 90% of the folks out there.

While I prefer to be high speed and low drag its definitely some food for thought...

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
When the SHTF, the preppers will be the ones that are not running around crazily making stupid decisions. From my experiences going through a couple regional weather disasters, it was pretty obvious who had at least considered it and planned ahead and who had not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well I don't think there is a wrong answer to this question about having a symbol, it is a personal choice, and yes it is like the sticker. I saw a video at work that actually made me think long and hard about displaying this on my vehicle. He mentioned how people look for symbols to associate themselves with. ppl that have the same symbols, relate well, adn have a bond, even if they do not know each other. It was a marketing training video. He said look at Harley Davidson, thier logo is tattooed on people because their brand represents how they live, or what they believe. I know the USMC is tattoed on many or most of my brothers....when we see it there is a bond, a trust. enough of my rambling...

The meaning behind the symbol as I understand it is pretty simple. The symbol consists of 2 parts, the arrow....and the arrow represents self reliance....with an arrow you have the ability to hunt food, or to defend your family. The second part is a 3. The 3 represents the 3 B's, and the rules of 3's The 3 B's are beans, bullets and bandaids.....which really hits home with me because as a Marine, that is what we were taught for mission readiness... it is also the three things preppers prepare...food, weapons and ammo, and medical supplies. The 3 is meant to also remind you of the rules of 3's....you can survive 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter in extreme conditions, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food. The arrow through the 3 completes the B.

The 3 fletchings are said to be able to be color coded to show 3 skill sets. So the place I saw this said you can have like a red top fletching if you have a medical skill and so on.....I am not going that far, but that is the back story.....and It hits home with me, that is why I like it, and it is not easily associated with prepping or preparedness.

This is just my 2 cents worth, and I am just presenting the question....like I said, I don't think there is a wrong answer...

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I agree, the symbol or any thing that makes a person "relate", they state that during filming of the original planet of the apes, the chimps mostly had lunch and breaks with the chimps, and the gorillas usually associated with the gorillas. THese people were in heavy masks and makeup and didnt neccisarilly know each other...
The harley davidson symbol is universal where Im from, but I love to ride, and would ride anything with two wheels on up, and dont love or hate harleys, but be damned if Im gonna pay three times the value of a shirt becouse it has H.d. on it.
I like the design and story of blackhawks arrow.
I defiinately would be more "open" to someone I knew had at least similar thoughts, and if you teach me, I will learn the handshake.....

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I don't know? a symbol a logo? My first reaction is duck and cover...I know prepping has become more mainstream, and I try to keep an open mind about such things, yet I remember a time when if it got out that you were a prepper or even worse a survivalist. Well lets just say it got you whispered about and frowned upon. Maybe times have changed and having a symbol or logo would be acceptable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not sure where the immature aspect of this comes in to play, but as I said, it an individual choice. This was not my idea, as I have seen this in other forums, and there was even a prepper wide vote last year on some type of symbol, so there has been talk in the past. If you think this will label you, or violate your opsec....I will not argue with you, as that is a good argument. If you think having a symbol is a good idea, then good for you. It is an individuals right to use it or not. Next time your driving somewhere, take a look at all of the vehicles around you. They are loaded with symbols and signs. I for one have this on my vehicle, call me immature, and silly, and I can send you a decoder ring, but if they have to ask, they do not know, and I have not been asked. I am not sure if people really care. If opsec is so important, are you not violating it by being online and being part of this forum? I am playing devils advocate and enjoy all opinions, even if they are silly...

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
If some preppers decided to adopt a symbol and that symbol becomes wide spread and recognized, it might allow preppers who want to stay quiet on their preps some cover. If for no other reason than a lot of non preppers would look no further than the symbol or logo. In times of crisis it may bring some unwanted visitors to your doorstep. Something to think about...

Prepping for the most part is a consumer activity, you buy the goods you stock the shelves. Rotate and repeat. It's like watching grass grow, it's happens yet is not noticeable to casual observation.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts