Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I put together an owned/want list. As I put the list together I realized I only owed 2 guns which is my .22 long rifle and my .30-06. My goal is to have two of every weapon for 2 reasons, one for my girlfriend and one for me, also to have a backup for every gun if one goes down. Ultimately I want 2 of each of these weapons which are, .22 long rifle, .22 hand gun, .45 hand gun, AR-15, .30-06, 12 Gauge, and just in case cross bows. I know this is a lot and will probably be a few years before I can get them all but the fact is I am young and don't have whole lot else to spend my money on so I may as well plan for the future. These weapons I figure give me common ammo/hunting and varmint with the .22, short range combat with the .45, mid range combat with the AR-15, long range combat/hunting with the .30-06, and big game/door busters with the 12 gauge. I want to get one of each first then try to double up. The Crossbow is the Plan B of it all I can't run out of ammo and it isn't loud. What would you take off this list or add to this list, and at what point am I going overboard with the guns. I have an ammo breakdown for each weapon but I think I should figure out the weapon part first and the ammo part second.

::redsnipe::

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I hate to rain on your dreams but at this point I would suggest stocking up on ammo for the 2 guns you do have before you add more guns.

So once you have 5000 rounds of .22 and let us say 400 rounds of 30-06 (great gun) then you can buy your next one on your list (hint 12 gauge)

Then stock up on ammo for that,

Then go the next gun etc.

IMO the only thing you lack right now is a sufficient supply of ammo and a 12GA riot gun.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate to rain on your dreams but at this point I would suggest stocking up on ammo for the 2 guns you do have before you add more guns.

So once you have 5000 rounds of .22 and let us say 400 rounds of 30-06 (great gun) then you can buy your next one on your list (hint 12 gauge)

IMO the only thing you lack right now is a sufficient supply of ammo and a 12GA riot gun.
.30-06 is close to being stocked up, .22 is far from it however that is probably the easiest gun to get ammo for, but I will work on that first. I think I tend to get too excited over the gun to think to full stock enough ammo. So basically load up for the .22 and the .30-06 get a 12GA- load up on that next then anything after that is icing on the cake I take it?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Of course not!

Fool

HEHE

Here is the dealo

.22 is great for harvesting small game and training

30-06 is great for taking game and the occasional bad guy

12ga is great for close quarters combat and dropping them where they stand.

What is lacking is your "OMG mutant zombie attack' which is a different can of worms.

If you expect to engage the zombies at decent range (country living) then get a .223 AR, if you expect closer ranges (city living) then get a "AK" or "Mac90"

Reactions: Piratesailor

·
Registered
257 Posts
My want list for guns is way too long, and grows longer each day lol As it stands, I currently have the following : 1) Rossi Youth single shot .22/.410; 2) Westernfield M832 bolt action .22; 3) Ruger Mini-14; 4) M1 Carbine; 5) Mossberg 464 .30-30; 6) Ruger American .308; 7) Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .357/9mm. I get ammo for them when I can at a decent deal, I've been working on extending my ammo stores before adding another gun to the family, which can be hard! My want list, realistically and as of now, are a Ruger 10/22, pump action 20 gauge, 1911, and a semi-auto 9mm I can carry. But yes, I say try to add on ammo at this point in tie, but I am not really willing to pay crazy and sky high prices.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I recently considered adding another caliber to my stock. You may have notices I didn't mention the actual gun or caliber as it is not relevant to my post.

If you want to "add" a gun then you need to "add" ammo, reloading dies, powder, primers, bullets, gun safe space, cost of optics, cases, PRACTICE TIME, cleaning and re-zeroing every year at the least.

So the gun costs... example $600, you need to add $1200 to the price to cover all the other items, so your $600 gun is really a $1800 investment.

So my advice for the new preppers is to concentrate on FEW guns with really good logistics rather than a gun safe full of guns with no support whatsoever

Avengers, WTF you really want a 30-30?!!!

I marvel at the number of people that focus on the 30-30, what a total piece of crap when the SHTF. Do the ballistics, figure the rate of fire, look at the options for mounting optics and then you will see The only possible redemption for a 30-30 is that there will be so many rounds pilfered off of dead bodies that it will be cheap to shoot.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The .30-30 was a present from my husband while he was deployed in the middle east last summer on my 20th birthday, and the M1 a present from my grandpa on my 21st. The way I see it, a free for me gun is fine to have fun with for the time being. Is the .30-30 my go to gun for an emergency? No way. But is it fun to mess around with on family shooting days? Oh yes. I know it's ballistics are terrible at any long distance, but it sure can make a milk jug explode :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I am like you.. My fiance is a former police officer and loves here guns.. So whenever I buy myself one, she is usually lookin at me like she wants one too.. Which is good. At least she isn't the kind of woman who bitches about spending money on guns,ammo and other good stuff..
Our main calibers are .45,.308,.5.56/223,12 guage and .22 rifle/handgun... I also have a 22-250 and a 220 swift. For each of those calibers I will say we are stocked pretty heavily.. I also have a 22-250 and a 220 swift and am about to acquire a 300 win mag or 300 norma.. Haven't decided just yet.. Then I have the guns I have been aquiring over the years such as a few single shot 12 guages older .22 rifles and a few I am not goin to mention here... Like Montana Rancher said.. Ammo Ammo Ammo and it is a good idea to invest in reloading supplies..

Just don't forget other off grid things you will want...It's not all guns,ammo and self defense.. You still have to eat and have shelter and have quality water!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
A gun without ammo is an expensive club. And not a good club at that. I think you're better off buying a gun, than some ammo to feed it, another gun, some ammo to feed it and so on till you have what you want. That way at least you've always have guns and ammo, instead of guns and no ammo. I know quite a few people like that. Who are a few boxes away from having their guns empty when the times comes. I'm sure as hell not giving them mine. I like to stay to the most heavily used calibers in relation to societies use, the police and the military for commonality purpose and the higher possibility of keeping them feed when the country falls apart. To me that's .22lr, 9mm, .223/5/56x45mm, .308/7.62x51mm and 12 gauge. Others are simply extra's, but still not the most common.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts

I completely agree with this logic although I would choose a defensive handgun first over the shotgun. I used to be of the same opinion on the shotgun until I read Ferfal's post on the collapes of Argentina. His reasons for choosing a handgun first made a whole lot of sense when I sat back and gave it some serious thought...he made a lot of good points!!! Dont get me wrong the shotgun is a great tool for many situations and most definitely deserves a spot in everyones collection, it just wouldnt be one of my first three priorities.

I will most definitely second the motion on getting ammo for the 2 guns you already have. It does you no good to have guns without the ammo. It relegates you to having an expensive club for all intents and purposes. I mean really...Does a plumber put a faucet in the wall and not connect it to any pipes? I would get in the habit of buying a box or two of something every pay day. You see the state of ammo availability today and this is the second major drought in ammo we have had in the last 5 years. Dont think for a second its the last and it might not be even worse next time, its a very real possibility that faces gun owners today. I got caught with less ammo than I felt comfortable with the last time we had a ammo shortage and I had a lot on hand and easily made it through unlike many of my compadres. But I learned a valuable lesson in the process and when the last ammo shortage hit...I wasnt sweating it at all. Despite as soon as this drought on ammo eases, I will go back to buying several boxes a pay day until I think I have enough to last me a life time! Many laughed at me and thought I was a little out there, but after this drought hit they werent laughing anymore and many of them were almost willing to sell both their testicles to buy enough ammo off me to do their annual re-qual. Many of them are now telling me they are going to take a page from my "Play Book" and start doing the same once the shortage eases. I would suggest you do the same.

I think too it would be wise after getting both of you a defensive handgun that you work on getting one of each of your selection first. This will allow you to work as a team and have multiple tools available to compliment each other. IE...one working the AR taking on intermediate threats while the other takes up a defensive posture with the 12 guage to zero in on up close immediate threats that may have slipped past the person using the AR that need to be neutralized right here right now! Then you can work on getting another fire arm of each selection so that you have 2 of each type.

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
A gun without ammo is an expensive club. And not a good club at that. I think you're better off buying a gun, than some ammo to feed it, another gun, some ammo to feed it and so on till you have what you want. That way at least you've always have guns and ammo, instead of guns and no ammo. I know quite a few people like that. Who are a few boxes away from having their guns empty when the times comes. I'm sure as hell not giving them mine. I like to stay to the most heavily used calibers in relation to societies use, the police and the military for commonality purpose and the higher possibility of keeping them feed when the country falls apart. To me that's .22lr, 9mm, .223/5/56x45mm, .308/7.62x51mm and 12 gauge. Others are simply extra's, but still not the most common.
Ya beat me to it.

I know some that have multiple calibers with only a few boxes of each. Slow and steady. Build up your ammo so if something does go wrong you won't be out of the fight early on. Buying into the most common calibers will help you replenish later.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Ammo issue dose become a big part . However you can get it just not all at once.
I would add an AR 5.56 in the mix it is a double duty weapon
Hand gun while not the best defense weapon you should have one or two around
Hard call budget time all come into play something is better than nothing

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
I will most definitely second the motion on getting ammo for the 2 guns you already have. It does you no good to have guns without the ammo. It relegates you to having an expensive club for all intents and purposes. I mean really...Does a plumber put a faucet in the wall and not connect it to any pipes? I would get in the habit of buying a box or two of something every pay day. You see the state of ammo availability today and this is the second major drought in ammo we have had in the last 5 years. Dont think for a second its the last and it might not be even worse next time, its a very real possibility that faces gun owners today. I got caught with less ammo than I felt comfortable with the last time we had a ammo shortage and I had a lot on hand and easily made it through unlike many of my compadres. But I learned a valuable lesson in the process and when the last ammo shortage hit...I wasnt sweating it at all. Despite as soon as this drought on ammo eases, I will go back to buying several boxes a pay day until I think I have enough to last me a life time! Many laughed at me and thought I was a little out there, but after this drought hit they werent laughing anymore and many of them were almost willing to sell both their testicles to buy enough ammo off me to do their annual re-qual. Many of them are now telling me they are going to take a page from my "Play Book" and start doing the same once the shortage eases. I would suggest you do the same.
Just before this shortage hit I bought 2 new calibers. It's taken me a long time to acquire enough ammo to make me comfortable with the amount I have and still have enough to practice with. Practice is a must to become decent with any kind of firearm. Practice and training, I just can't stress that enough. Just owning a firearm does not make you proficient. Get some training. That requires a fair amount of ammo. Now we are back to the beginning. Having enough ammo.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I own a 30.06 for big game, an AK 47 for two legged stuff, an AR 15 for two legged stuff, a .45 for off duty, a .45 for on duty, a .38 for backup, a .50 caliber muzzleloader and an awesome 12 gauge. Plenty of ammo for whatever comes along. between 400-1000 rounds for each gun and growing.

If you are on a budget I would recommend a WASR AK47 ($599.00) 1000 rounds of 7.62x39=$275.00, a Mosin Nagant rifle $119.00 and 880 rounds of surplus 7.62x54R in 440 rd. tins=$200.00. Then, buy a Glock 19=$499.00 and a few hundred rounds of 9mm ball ammo. $300.00. You will be set for any eventuality.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
See if you agree with the following:

Must have guns for survival situations: (in the order of need)

1. Shotgun - It is capable of taking game that is difficult to hit with any other gun. It has more stopping power than any pistol and most rifles (within its limited range). At close range - from a few feet to 70 or more yards - it is capable of killing up to medium sized game. It can defend against any North American animal in close defense. A 12 gauge shotgun is the most versatile weapon in the arsenal although ammo is bulky and heavy. (nothing is perfect)

2. 22 rim-fire rifle that can reliably shoot any of the short, long and long-rifle ammo. The 22 is economical, light weight easy to learn to shoot and can be effective to supply "camp food" or defend against small feline and canine attackers. It has about the same effective range as the shotgun but is quieter, though not as quickly lethal, and is more useful for stationary targets. Ammo is "universal" and most often available anywhere - not so much right now but it will come back - it is light and you can carry a lot of ammo without much weight or bulk.

3. A "hunting" rifle in a caliber selected for its ability to put down large game at long distance and with common availability of ammo. The 308 and 3006 are my choices here but some places the 7x57 Mauser ammo is more readily available. Stay away from calibers that are magnums - the advantage of the extra 200 fps is not great enough to counter the disadvantages of noise and recoil. It should be a bolt action with a sighting system that is good to 300 yards. Ammo is moderately heavy and bulky but one can carry the few rounds it takes to be effective in the field.

4. A magnum revolver that has a good availability of ammo. Where I live this limits one to the 357 magnum. There is the added versatility of using the 38 special ammo, 38+P ammo, and the magnum ammo. It has an effective range similar to the 12 gauge with slightly better accuracy out to at least 100 yards. With the right ammo it has excellent stopping power on animals from 30 pounds to 300 pounds and it is hard to beat against a man. Ammo is light and small so it is easy to carry more than enough for field work. In close defense it is easy to handle with very low recoil. It does have a surprising muzzle flash in low light but less that the larger magnums.

The rest of the guns you own are for more single purpose uses. A semi-auto in 223 or 7,65x39 have the same power as a 30-30 and are for close to medium range use against a large number of attackers. They tend to use a lot of ammo because people tend to shoot faster and less accurately. This is not to say that they cannot be accurate but they are unlikely to print shot groups of sub MOA accuracy like a bolt action rifle.
Semi-auto hand guns fall into two groups; small caliber (up to 9mm) and large caliber .40 and up. The most common small caliber is the 9mm which has less favorable ballistics than a 38+p ammo in the same bullet weight. The only "advantage" it has over the old 38+p ammo is the number of rounds that a magazine holds. That again causes a lack of shooter accuracy in most cases. (if you only have one round you tend more to make it count) Semi-autos are sometimes a bit finicky unless the correct ammo is used and the gun is kept conspicuously cleaned. Having said that the large bore pistols, specifically the 40 S&W and the 45ACP are two of the best self-defense ammunition ever devised. They are made to stop a person - not to kill - even when on a dead run at you. They are effective in that job but they are not particularly good for anything else. They are not good hunting rounds and not usually accurate enough for small game.

Last note: If you plane to have enough ammo on hand for ANY event that should arise it would make sense to reload. To reload your brass after it has been fired requires that you have that brass. It can be very difficult to find your brass at the range and almost impossible in the field when using any semi-auto weapon. Military weapons are used in battles where ammo is kept supplied by the military. You won't likely have that advantage in an emergency - even if you might be able to take ammo off the dead it is unlikely to replace the ammo you expend.

Ultimately what you choose to have in your gun rack will reflect what you feel is best for you and how you envision the position you will be in under the circumstances of the events you consider. The choices are yours.

In my "weapons locker" I have several 12 gauge and a couple 20 gauge shotguns, a few 22 bolt action rifles, several hunting rifles in both 3006 and larger bores that shoot sub-MOA groups (MOA= 1" at 100 yards), a few magnum handguns, and some semi-auto 22's and a couple of SKS rifles. I stock the cheapest ammo for the SKS's because that way it is "throw-away" ammo usually with steel cases that cannot be reloaded. I also have some "specialty" guns that are great for hunting but lack the stopping power, capacity, or lethality for a firefight at all but the closest range. Feel free to discuss and or defend your choices.

Reactions: JanerichoC18

·
Registered
277 Posts
Recently I put together an owned/want list. As I put the list together I realized I only owed 2 guns

::redsnipe::
How does it take putting together a list to "realize" you only have 2 guns? I take it these are closet queens and what you lack is practice and training. It doesn't matter what caliber or how much ammo you have, with out that your more of a danger to your self then what your trying to hit.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
My best advice would be to minimize the amount of different calibers of ammo that you have to store by trying to limit the different caliber guns that you have. Try to have as many guns as you feel necessary, but try to keep common calibers. You can have 100 guns, and thousands of rounds of ammo, but try to stick to about 5 different calibers. For instance, you can have a long shotgun, and a pistol grip riot gun, but make them both 12 guage. If you have a 9mm pistol sidearm, think about a 9mm carbine long gun. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How does it take putting together a list to "realize" you only have 2 guns? I take it these are closet queens and what you lack is practice and training. It doesn't matter what caliber or how much ammo you have, with out that your more of a danger to your self then what your trying to hit.
Thank you for dissecting my post.

Actually I used to be in the army where I didn't need to own that many guns since an M-4 with virtually unlimited ammo was supplied for me. I sold a rifle and 2 shotguns, the .22 I don't shoot all the time but the 30-06 I shoot every chance I get since it is a more difficult gun to stay proficient in. If you want to talk about weapons training I can tell you that at no point are my weapons dirty, I've shot expert on numerous occasions and know more than enough safety regulations and rules with weapons

Rather than picking apart posts and making assumptions, constructive criticism would be great. Thank You.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My best advice would be to minimize the amount of different calibers of ammo that you have to store by trying to limit the different caliber guns that you have. Try to have as many guns as you feel necessary, but try to keep common calibers. You can have 100 guns, and thousands of rounds of ammo, but try to stick to about 5 different calibers. For instance, you can have a long shotgun, and a pistol grip riot gun, but make them both 12 guage. If you have a 9mm pistol sidearm, think about a 9mm carbine long gun. Just my 2 cents.
I though today about (again well down the line) replacing the .45 and the AR with a FN P90 since the 5.7×28mm is more common and more common in handguns. This would reduce stopping power but make an ammo stock and finding weapons far easier in the future.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.