Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had stated before I was going to keep from shooting at home as common courtesy to my neighbors, for a little while anyways.

Well it seems the neighbors don't know or care about the 6' leash law for dogs. I've had a shepard/husky mix about 80 lbs and a cocky Jack Russell pooping on the land the last few days. The husky mix growled today while I was staring at the garden and the lightbulb went on.

While cleaning out Mom's van for a saleI found 2 boxes of 20 ga game loads in the rear glovebox soaking in about 2" of water. I took some 80 grit to sand off the rust on the steel, put a couple in my Westernfield bolt and pulled the trigger, while aiming safely at my pistol berm.

I hit the target with the wad, and Little Jack literally had the shat scared of of him, he was close enough to tell when he lifted his leg to scent my tree.

Maybe my neighbor will wake up and secure her critters ::clapping::

I have 40 rounds of rusty game loads left to use for this purpose. How things change.

It's legal to shoot, illegal for dogs to run loose:-o

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Before I could entirely fence my property dogs - stray, feral, or otherwise would attempt to get my chickens and generally think my property was theirs.
One guy had a doberman that would occasionally get loose. He was a friendly dog and was just investigating things not really bothering the chickens so I took the owner a dozen fresh eggs and asked him to please control his dog as I didn't want to kill such a nice dog. I was nice about it and the dog never came on our property again.
I have, however had to kill feral dogs, I do not like to, get no enjoyment from it, but a man's gotta protect what's his. It's completely legal in Florida.
I have been threatened by dogs when going outside the perimeter to the mail box. I now carry at least a handgun when outside the house and often a shotgun in addition.
By the way, 20 ga #6 birdshot will kill a full size pitbull with one shot. He was charging right at me with his mouth wide open, not making a sound, when my wife yelled a warning, and at a range of 5 feet I had time to get one round off. It went straight down his throat. He died instantly. Self defense, but like I say I hate to do it.
Country life is a lot different from the city, for sure.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have at least my KelTec P3-AT 9mm Kurz on me at all times outdoors. The county animal control will not come out to try and catch dogs, they say there is simply not enough time in the day to chase dogs. They will come and pick up ones that are caught and leashed up already.

Some people will call the police when they think they're animals are getting shot at. Then they get fined by the township when the animal isn't licensed.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Anyone's dog could ge out from time to time so unless they are harassing my livestock I just use a pellet gun to send them running. For the always out dogs I like to haul them to the pound, costs the owners about $100 to get them back and makes the point fairly well after the pound trip it's shoot, shovel, shut up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Before I could entirely fence my property dogs - stray, feral, or otherwise would attempt to get my chickens and generally think my property was theirs.
One guy had a doberman that would occasionally get loose. He was a friendly dog and was just investigating things not really bothering the chickens so I took the owner a dozen fresh eggs and asked him to please control his dog as I didn't want to kill such a nice dog. I was nice about it and the dog never came on our property again.
I have, however had to kill feral dogs, I do not like to, get no enjoyment from it, but a man's gotta protect what's his. It's completely legal in Florida.
I have been threatened by dogs when going outside the perimeter to the mail box. I now carry at least a handgun when outside the house and often a shotgun in addition.
By the way, 20 ga #6 birdshot will kill a full size pitbull with one shot. He was charging right at me with his mouth wide open, not making a sound, when my wife yelled a warning, and at a range of 5 feet I had time to get one round off. It went straight down his throat. He died instantly. Self defense, but like I say I hate to do it.
At least, people in the country are kinder and happier than city people.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm happy also, I'm watching a pileated woodpecker dig in the sand of the roots of a fallen oak. The sands a flying and it has to stop and shake the sand out every few seconds. Funny as all heck.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I share your ideas as well, . . .

Sitting in my office chair, . . . looking out my house's front window, . . . I see a dog's rear quarters out of the corner of my eye. Hollered for the wife to check the drive way, . . . sure enough, . . . big shepherd mix and an even bigger pit bull mix. I started out the front door, . . . figuring I'd just shout, . . . they would leave, . . .

The pit bull came up to the door before I could get it opened and charged the glass with the shephered barking and egging him on.

A few minutes later, . . . after they had put enough cautious distance between us, . . . my AR and I sent both to wherever rogue mutts spend their afterlife.

I'm like you rice paddy, . . . take something with me almost all the time.

Most dogs I see here (next to a state game area) are just lost hunting dogs, . . . I check the collar, . . . make the call, . . . folks come get their dogs, . . . all is well. But every now and again it isn't quite like that.

I feel sorry though for Aqua hull, . . . some neighbors believe their rights are far more important than yours.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
My one neighbors Dogs come over to vist some times they walk right in the house they have 7 of them.
try to talk to them first you may find common ground

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Out here, Dwight, occasionally a hunting dog that is too old to hunt anymore is just dumped. Most times the collar with name tag (required by law in Florida for all hunting dogs) is gone. But once it wasn't and the "owner" told me he didn't want his dog back.
Dang, all our dogs are rescues either from the side of the road or from death row. The last two we got were going to be put down that very day and one of the animal control ladies called my wife begging us to take them. I think we're on speed-dail over there.
We have had as many as 7 at one time, now we try to hold it down to 5 or less. The best thing about rescue dogs is their loyalty. They know when they have it made. I wish we could save every dog that needs saving, but we can't.
Our three horses are rescues as well.
Back when fuel was cheaper my wife used to donate her time to the county animal control ferrying dogs whose time was about up down to the big shelter in the city to increase their chance of adoption.
She and a small band of horse ladies used to ferry siezed, abandoned, and surrendered horses as well. Once she took one from near Jacksonville to north of Atlanta. We paid for the deisel, of course.

Reactions: dwight55

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Did you know mothers day is the worst or second worst day doe domestic violence in America? Yeah that is OT, but I found the sad cure to domestic violence one day as a rookie police officer when my training officer and I arrived at a house with screaming adults and a barking pittbull. We walked down the driveway to a 3 foot fence and after a short and brief discussion the man pulled the aggressive Pitt to a chain, attached it, and reluctantly invited us into the yard. His wife opened the gate for us, we walked in, and we separated the two folks for discussion. Neighbors had called. There was no acts of violence "yet" and I was with the wife who said she was afraid but that he hadn't hurt her. We were in the yard 8-10 minutes trying to defuse them, but things between them were getting worse, for she was empowered with our back up. At one screaming moment the Pitt broke free of his chain. The animal had about 20 feet to cover before reaching my training officer, 24 feet or do for me, and when I first noticed any movement it was my TOs reach for his gun, and then the charging dog. I drew, fired, again, and at the 11th round the dog was down at my TOs foot. My TO had gotten off 1 round, me 11, and the domestic disturbance was over.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW, I've never had to actually shoot a dog down up here, I've come close and shot over their back.

Now Detroit by City Airport was a different story

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.