Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last three times I was there, they took my ID and scanned it into the computer. Was at Walmart today and picked up some ammo, didn't have to show ID. When I buy at Gander Mountain, never get carded there either. I think at this point, I'm no longer going to buy ammo from Dick's. I'm sure some day all ammo seller's will be required to scan our ID's, but I hope not. Am I over reacting or do you feel the way I do that our ammo purchases shouldn't require ID to be scanned and logged. I don't buy in huge quantities, just a few boxes at a time, if that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Showing your ID is to verify that you are 18 years or older, for them to legally sell you ammo. However what Dick's are doing are not good. They are basically creating a database and keeping track of who is buying what ammo and how much. Something to do with market research but it could also easily turn into keeping track on you. So if I am buying ammo and someone actually scan my ID they can keep their ammo. I got lots of other places to buy from. Plus Dick's is not cheap at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gander keeps all your firearms records in their system in addition to the federal and state requirements.
They also have threatened their employees with loosing their jobs if not cooperating with ATF eventhough no warrant or justified investigation was on going concerning a private citizens purchase. I do not recall the specifics and do not frequent GM. I never did like their prices anyhow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Who the f**k shops there anyway? Their prices are always more than anywhere else. Half the time their s**t doesn't have a price on it and customer service is ok at best. Once they pulled that knee jerk reaction after the CT massacre, I banned them for life.

People, we have to start fighting for what we want. The other side is and they're winning. Not buying anything from places like this makes a difference and helps our voice be heard.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Hey thats the free market at work. If thats the way they wanna do business then I will take my business else where and let that "free market" work for me! They have to understand they are competing for my dollars and that they arent the only game in town...I have other options! Ill just decline the purchase and tell them I have changed my mind and ask them if they have a particular competitor they prefer I make my purchases from.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Showing and scanning an ID are definitely two different things. I suggest you look for new places to shop. It's getting harder to stay off radar though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I will not buy from them either.. We don't need someone pinning a crime on us because we bought a certain kind of ammo..

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
We should avoid Dicks for any purchases. They joined Obama in pulling the weapons from their store
Not a dime to Dicks IMO for anything.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Dicks...'nuff said.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm not buying ANYTHING from Dick's anymore. Matter of fact, I sent my Discount Buyer's Club Card to them this morning with a note why.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Went by there this evening on the way home from work. The one locally is still selling guns...but as directed by corperate, they pulled all the AR-15's and P-Mags they had and have them in back waiting further direction from the head office. Neither one of the guys that work that counter were happy about the move and were actually pretty pissed! The ammo they had though was cleaned out unless you wanted shotgun ammo. But their prices have always been too high and easy to beat just walking across the parking lot! Just reporting what I saw here locally...

·
Registered
56 Posts
why would you shop at corporate giants dicks and walmart? How about supporting local gun stores? You might be surprised that the prices are the same or less and you would be supporting your local economy. Seems like a no brainer to me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
why would you shop at corporate giants dicks and walmart? How about supporting local gun stores? You might be surprised that the prices are the same or less and you would be supporting your local economy. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Hmm gee, maybe it depends where a person lives and what is available. Maybe any local shops, if there are any left doesn't have any ammo I'm looking for in stock. Seem's like a "no brainer" to me you go where you can find what you're looking for. Duh.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Perhaps there aren't any local gun stores to buy from? Or they are already sold out and Wal-Mart is the only place with what you are looking for?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I love them scanning IDs, great idea.
It will make no differentiation between a person buying 2000 rounds of .223 (obviously a nut job) and a person buying 4 bricks of .22 (also 2000 rounds).
If I sound sacrcastic, I am.
Its total BS that they do this, but I believe that it is our future.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts