Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can see on google earth a lot of my BOL. You can see my equipment, water stores, livestock, farm equipment, ponds, boat etc. Isn't this an invasion of privacy to someone or are they the new paparazzi for the earth photos? Isn't there some places that get taken off the list (area 51 for example) due to security? How about our security though? Is there a way to opt out of google earth for personal security reasons? I really don't want billybob knowing what I have on my land. That is way I put up no trespassing signs all over the roads. Do I need to do this to Google Earth?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't know if there is a way to stop it, but if you find out please post. It is very unnerving to see your own property and everything you have visible to the universe. ::rambo::

·
Registered
693 Posts
This sounds like the making of a class action lawsuit if you can rally enough people to your cause! Ok maybe not that extreme but it should be your option if you want your property shown or not.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
That's crazy you posted this. I was just looking at Google Earth this morning and zoomed in on my house and there was a picture of my car, my Suburban and my pick-up. Then, you can go to the "street level" (?) and literally look at my vehicles, my house, even what's in my yard. Full panoramic view.

I wouldn't have cared so much, but it wasn't until I had my step-daughter, several years ago, show it to me and then say "my dad had this picture up on his computer screen when I was visiting him in Alabama." It showed our house from the street, our vehicles, even the kids swimming pool. At that point I learned that he was having people drive past my house and take photographs, having them use Google Earth so they knew which residence was mine. Seems his wife was tired of him paying child support so they were up to their usual BS trying to dig stuff up on us. ???? I was a "security contractor" for DHS at the time and after a couple of phone calls, well, let's just say he abruptly lost all interest in investigating me. ( =

So yeah 5.56, I hear you. Definately disconcerting in the whole privacy area. I like my privacy and there is nothing I hate more than someone "over my shoulder". I do however use Google Earth to recon my surrounding area for areas of ingress and egress, as well as general intel gathering for areas of possible retreat, water supply, surrounding terrain, structures, roads, tracks, housing etc. It's a pretty valuable tool if used responsibly, but as I mentioned earlier, can also be misused. The good news is, the photo that I looked at this morning was at least 8 months old. Two of the vehicles went away 6 months ago. The one that it replaced, was probably 4-5 years old at least. So just move your stuff around, you'll be alright! ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts