Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
rice paddy daddy - I was referring to the twenty-something-year-olds that tend to bring their "new English" here. The ones who do not use punctuation, etc. The ones who use u for you and r for are and 2 for two (hey I can rhyme too). The ones who have forgotten (or never learned) that proper English is part art and part work. I think that this whole "smart" phone communicating has dumbed down most of the younger generation. It is too much work to follow the "rules" of proper English. I insist on it when texting with my twenty something daughters. If they have the time to text me, they damn well better have the time to use proper English, not a bunch of letters, numbers and symbols. I even cringe when I type LOL. So there is my rant of the evening.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
rice paddy daddy - I was referring to the twenty-something-year-olds that tend to bring their "new English" here. The ones who do not use punctuation, etc. The ones who use u for you and r for are and 2 for two (hey I can rhyme too). The ones who have forgotten (or never learned) that proper English is part art and part work. I think that this whole "smart" phone communicating has dumbed down most of the younger generation. It is too much work to follow the "rules" of proper English. I insist on it when texting with my twenty something daughters. If they have the time to text me, they damn well better have the time to use proper English, not a bunch of letters, numbers and symbols. I even cringe when I type LOL. So there is my rant of the evening.
Just for some context: Mrs Inor's mother was my 11th grade English teacher. Jus' sayin;

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
Well, I wanted to be honest right up front with the new guy. I'm just an old truck driver.
Graduated High School, tried my hand at Community College majoring in beer and girls. That was 1966-67 and the southeast asian meat grinder was running full blast. Not a good time to be fooling around with various draft classifications. So, to beat the draft I volunteered. I mention that to show the level of my intelligence (not very bright!).:cry:

What is this thing you call texting?;)

Mrs Inor, you are OK in my book!!

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Oh, that's got to be interesting. :)
My mother-in-law and I got along well enough, even though we were exact polar opposites on most everything. She was a hardcore anti-gunner, a militant Molly Yard type Feminazi. She hated all men. She always thought I was crazy and she thought Mrs Inor was even crazier for marrying me. But that being said, I was also her favorite son-in-law. I think I was probably the only male that ever got away with calling her "a tough old broad" to her face. Mrs Inor swears that Frank Sinatra could have gotten away with it too, but I am not so sure.

She died about a year and a half ago (on my birthday). I am not sure if she did that as a gift to me, or to haunt me for the rest of my life. Either way, I do miss the old battle ax. :razz:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Welcome, from Southern Minnesota.

I'm green with envy. I always wanted to be a writer, but never had the tallent. :-? I enjoy a good book, and usually go through 2 or 3 per week. I can't wait to jump into your book-world.

This is a good site with lots of information and really good people. I've learned soooo much here. I'm still learning and enjoying my time here.:razz:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My mother-in-law and I got along well enough, even though we were exact polar opposites on most everything. She was a hardcore anti-gunner, a militant Molly Yard type Feminazi. She hated all men. She always thought I was crazy and she thought Mrs Inor was even crazier for marrying me. But that being said, I was also her favorite son-in-law. I think I was probably the only male that ever got away with calling her "a tough old broad" to her face. Mrs Inor swears that Frank Sinatra could have gotten away with it too, but I am not so sure.

She died about a year and a half ago (on my birthday). I am not sure if she did that as a gift to me, or to haunt me for the rest of my life. Either way, I do miss the old battle ax. :razz:
Thanks for the welcome. Becoming a writer is just like any other talent. Unless you're naturally brilliant (I am not), it's mostly reading a lot, writing a lot, and then identifying your weaknesses and trying to fix them. It was my ninth book that got published and even now I have some stories that just don't interest my publisher and so I publish them myself.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts