Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remain cautiously optimistic about the future, but I've been interested in potential collapse situations since I was a kid taking to the dusty hills of the Western desert to pretend the Soviets were invading, Red Dawn-style. I grew up in a conservative religious community, so end of the world talk was a constant part of my childhood.

For work, I am a professional novelist for my day job, and also own a small business that has been successful but I need to sell because I no longer have time to run it properly. I have four kids and own about 12 acres of mostly timbered land in the north country with two streams running across them. I am well prepared financially with hard and soft assets for anything the future holds, but I need to work on some of my other skills. A big one for me is that I'd like to learn more about firearms. I write about collapse and near collapse stuff all the time and mostly have to bluff it and do research. We didn't own guns growing up and while I've fired them a few times I really need to become more comfortable in a non-academic way.

My goal for the next six months is to invest in some training in gun handling and safety and carefully acquire my first firearm.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Welcome KingM. What a great profession - congrats.

I'm not as big a doomer as many think I am. Yes I think there are some good signs in the economy too, but I'll admit the creation of about 3 trillion dollars over the last 5 years is alarming to me. I don't know what that does to us 3-6-9 years down the road. To me the economy could get worse, better, or indifferent. I'm largely self sufficient now which took some doing. With 12 acres you can be self sufficient I'm sure. Then the economy won't matter to you as much. I watch oil the closest. By that I mean how the world buys it. If they ever stop using the dollar to buy it - I think we're headed down a bad rat hole for a bit.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'm glad you mentioned gun handling and safety! Many people just run out and buy a firearm and have no clue about them. You can always tell the people that have not been trained. You will see them walking around with their finger CONSTANTLY inside the trigger guard. I hope you enjoy shooting as much as I do.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I try to get my family to be ready for smaller, more local events; Weather, power outages, stuff like that. If I can get them there, then I figure I have a leg up.

I'm not so much of an apocalyptic type. After all, if it were "apocalyptic", I'm fairly certain we'd be done anyway.

Though I think we're headed for serious social issues if our government continues the direction it is going with the lies, spying on citizens, abuse of power, targeting of "dissenters", and blatant breaking of the law and dismantling of the constitution. I have concerns over the general lack of health of the economy and the REAL unemployment rates. I think that we are going to have a need to be more self sufficient overall. The cost of everything is going up, while I personally, have watched my pay decrease.

I think in the dense urban areas, this is where we will experience the greatest amount of disruption, panic and lawlessness. Especially in the low income areas, where crime is already rampant. I think we all have a general feel for the "thought process" where we live. I live in an area that is relatively mellow, but like anywhere, has its exceptions. For the most part, our area will not tolerate a whole lot of shenanigans.

I have expressed the need for us to raise some vegetables & chickens, though it would be limited as I live in the city and rent the house we're in. I have also determined we need to start canning and focus on food storage. But all of this is to get ready, as I said, for smaller, briefer local events. Our weather is mild and the last time we lost power was a couple of years ago. But when that happened, it was out for two days. The kids thought it was "fun" cooking on the camp stove, breaking out the lanterns, playing games and sleeping in the living room. What I did learn, is most of my neighbors will bail during anything that last's more than 24 hours for "greener pastures".

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome KingM. What a great profession - congrats.

I'm not as big a doomer as many think I am. Yes I think there are some good signs in the economy too, but I'll admit the creation of about 3 trillion dollars over the last 5 years is alarming to me. I don't know what that does to us 3-6-9 years down the road. To me the economy could get worse, better, or indifferent. I'm largely self sufficient now which took some doing. With 12 acres you can be self sufficient I'm sure. Then the economy won't matter to you as much. I watch oil the closest. By that I mean how the world buys it. If they ever stop using the dollar to buy it - I think we're headed down a bad rat hole for a bit.
Thanks for the welcome. I have been a member of peakoil.com for about eight years, but the forum has largely devolved into pointless arguing. Also, I'm not convinced the end of the oil age will mean the end of life as we know it, although it's certainly one possible end. In fact, I doubt we'll see a collapse in my lifetime, but there's a non-trivial chance in any given ten year period. I look at self sufficiency, gold, firearms training, and the like as an insurance policy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm glad you mentioned gun handling and safety! Many people just run out and buy a firearm and have no clue about them. You can always tell the people that have not been trained. You will see them walking around with their finger CONSTANTLY inside the trigger guard. I hope you enjoy shooting as much as I do. .
The biggest problem where I live is a lack of shooting ranges and training programs. I'm going out to the western deserts in a couple of weeks to do some more book research and I have a friend who will be taking me to a range out there. He has a bunch of antique firearms to shoot, but mainly I want to spend time on the basics and getting a feel for what weapon would be right for me to purchase.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota.

I think you will find most of us on this site live the prepper life because it greatly improves our quality of life especially if SHTF does not happen. But if the wheels do come off and Pelosi somehow gets elected President, we will at least be able to survive, miserable as it may be.

Edit: Okay, my curiosity is getting the better of me. What books did you write? I am ALWAYS looking for new authors to read and your brief description of the novel you are currently working on sounds exactly like what I presently read (when I read fiction). Please PM me if you do not want this to be public knowledge.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I read a digital book that I was very skeptical of at first but very glad I went ahead and bought it. It is called the Bulletproof home. It talks about real life experience when the author was in Egypt during the "Arab Spring" and the rioting that took place when government fell and how they survived. Might be something that you could benefit from. I too am interested in what books you have written if that is something you would share with us. We just bought our first gun a Glock 19 last week and I have a Remington 887 Tactical shotgun I'll be picking up in about 2 weeks. Then I have my eyes set on the Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD thanks to PrepConsultants advice. I want some sort of revolver because of the ability to last longing ability.

Having kids we had to make sure safety was of the utmost importance when storing, handling, and making sure everyone understands the seriousness of the situation. Very glad to have you hear and feel free to ask away. Your welcome to ask me anything as well and I'd be happy to tell you I don't know and try to find someone who does ;) haha.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I would hope we all pray for things work out. I pray we all work to avoid trouble.
But we prepare for what may come as we live in today.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Edit: Okay, my curiosity is getting the better of me. What books did you write? I am ALWAYS looking for new authors to read and your brief description of the novel you are currently working on sounds exactly like what I presently read (when I read fiction). Please PM me if you do not want this to be public knowledge.
No, I don't mind. My main series is set in a polygamist cult (I grew up a small religious community in Utah, so it's not just made up crap). When I was done with the fourth book of a five book contract, my publisher wanted to sign me to three more. As a writer, this is the stuff they're paying me to do, but I didn't want to just go over the same old stuff. I started to wonder what would happen in this community if the predictions about the end of the world actually did come true. That's where book five (released earlier this year) started to go. 6-8 are totally about the survival of a small community during a collapse, but you do kind of have to read several volumes to get there. It's about a small, insular community of believers (some good, some evil), so it has some interest to this community, but that's not the main thrust of the first several books. The series is called The Righteous, by Michael Wallace. The next volume (written and awaiting publication) is called The Gates of Babylon, and I'm currently finishing the first draft of #7, Hell's Fortress. In it, I trash Las Vegas, which is kind of fun. :)

It's all easy enough to find with a search, so I won't risk breaking board rules by linking here.

However, I have two other books that are more easily accessible on a quick read, that both deal with near collapse via a Peak Oil type scenario. They are called Implant and State of Siege. The latter was fun to write, if a bit fanciful, but for whatever reason hasn't taken off like some of my other books. Implant has sold really well.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Welcome from Mississippi. I to am not a doomer, but a prepper. Glad to hear you looking in to firearms safety training. A good place to start is you local gun range and asking around for a NRA instructor. The NRA has a great basic pistol course.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm having a hard time finding something around here. In fact, in my search I came across a local newspaper article talking about how the lack of ranges in the area is leading people to set up dangerous ranges in their back yards. Too much regulation and anti-gun thinking, even though an estimated 40% of households in the state own at least one firearm.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I visited your page on Amazon. Holy crap! I see why you do not have time to run your business! Atta boy!!! ::clapping::

P.S. Mrs Inor is presently picking a couple for us to read.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Welcome KingM. I have not yet picked out "a couple" books yet. They all look pretty good. On another note it is nice to have a newcomer who appreciates grammar, capitalization and full sentences.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I visited your page on Amazon. Holy crap! I see why you do not have time to run your business! Atta boy!!! ::clapping::

P.S. Mrs Inor is presently picking a couple for us to read.
Thanks! Well, I'm not here to sell books, which is why I was hesitant to put a link, but I'm looking around for a more fruitful and educational place than my old forum. Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thanks! Well, I'm not here to sell books, which is why I was hesitant to put a link, but I'm looking around for a more fruitful and educational place than my old forum. Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.
Har! Too modest! But good - cause I hate it when people pop in to hawk their wares! (Ducks for cover!:mrgreen:)

Welcome! And I'm glad you are here and glad that you aren't a doomer, that is the way to be!

As far as peak oil - it may or may not affect us - I think it completely depends on what new source of energy we can find and use. Such as if we can get sustainable fission, the future will keep getting brighter and better. Although I think if we don't find a new source sometime soon (relatively - soon could mean decades) we could slowly devolve into a more local/agrarian world. That in and of itself isn't bad, but being FORCED into that lifestyle would be very hard on the world population as a whole.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Har! Too modest! But good - cause I hate it when people pop in to hawk their wares! (Ducks for cover!:mrgreen:)
Yeah admit it... You just came by to hawk your book, but now you are addicted like the rest of us. :mrgreen: (and a welcome addition I might add)

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Welcome from Florida.
I'm not a "doomer" either, but as a life long resident of Hurricane Central I have always been a bit of a prepper.
I am a book reading fanatic, non-fiction military history, mostly WWII.
I noticed the note above about it being nice to have a member who understands grammar, spelling and punctuation. You will have to forgive me if I am deficient sometimes, I never got beyond 12th grade. (I just wanted to apologize in advance:mrgreen:)

Reactions: longrider

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yeah admit it... You just came by to hawk your book, but now you are addicted like the rest of us. :mrgreen: (and a welcome addition I might add)
Ok, I'll admit it - but only because it's almost 11PM 'my time' and the sun is still up in the sky where I currently am... I need sleep... :-D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.